“I left after 30mins and found somewhere else”
Review of Sapphire Resort

Sapphire Resort
Ranked #143 of 160 Hotels in Brisbane
“I left after 30mins and found somewhere else”
Reviewed 10 March 2014 via mobile

Got to this place yesterday for work. Guy on desk was not friendly in the slightest. The room was terrible: air con hardly worked, tv terrible, bed on a slant, bathroom and balcony dirty. It felt like a terrible backpackers. Unsavoury characters were already on their balconies at 5pm drunk and partying. I felt really unsafe.

I travelled Oz last year in a caravan and stayed in some pretty remote and weird motels so I'm not usually too precious, but this one, I just could not handle.

Forfeited my money and left to stay in an apartment down the road.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Kristal G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Timaru, New Zealand
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Not the greatest accomodation around but it was easily the cheapest in the area so I had low expectations to begin with, stayed here for 3 nights but after one night had to move rooms as our room had an overwhelming rotten carpet smell that made it very uncomfortable to be in. Kudos to the manager for quickly moving us but the room possibly shouldn't have been sold to us in the frirst place? the location is great with the fantastic southbank parklands a 5 minute walk away and the cbd 10 minutes away. the single room we had was rather small and hard to move around the bathroom was nice enough, and clean but overall everything was a bit run down and the pool was pretty dodgy looking which is probably why I never saw anyone in it the three days I was there. Overall I wasn't disappointed with Sapphire Resort but I can't really recommend it to anyone unless you're on a very tight budget or desperately need somewhere to stay in South Bank

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cozza22

Travellers are raving about these Brisbane hotels

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 26 February 2014

There are many places in Brisbane that are cheap and clean. Please do yourself a favor and never stay here. I write alot of reviews having stayed at many hotels and this is the first time I have given a bad one.
Whether it be the poor service, the smells, the bed bugs in the sheets I stress do not stay here I have looked around and there are much better places in Brisbane for around the same price. The location is good but what you will find as others have said for such a poor quality hotel one does not expect to pay a security "key" deposit especially when you are rubbing shoulders with the
quality of the people that are clearly permanant residents of this "resort"
This place was supposed to be just a bed and a shower for us but the experience ruined a sleep for us. We witnessed a drug deal and thought wow why did we not listen to our gut instinct and choose elsewhere. 1 night from hell

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank AccomodationAddict
Gympie
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Booked here with a bit of apprehension due to some of the reviews.. There was very little accommodation available at the time (due to the 1st Cricket Test at the Gabba). However, we were very happy with our stay. Room was comfortable, staff very friendly and obliging. Paid the $150 security deposit in cash which was refunded when we left. Good, free undercover parking and best of all within walking distance to the Concerts we went to at QPAC.

We didn't eat at the Restaurant, I unfortunately had an infected tooth, which prevented me from eating. However, my partner enjoyed T Bone steak in the Café Briz?, also on site. There is also a kitchen with microwave, toaster etc and laundry downstairs for the use of guests.

Left the car in the secure carpark and used the bus system, stops only minutes away.

I would recommend the Sapphire for comfortable budget accommodation and we will be back.

Room Tip: No lifts so choose what suits your fitness level
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Australia
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Everyone agrees it is not a resort, but it's not too bad either. It is very good value for the location, just walk across the river to the city (only 1.5k to Myer), 3 minutes to supermarket, lots of great restaurants in easy walking distance. We found the staff friendly and helpful. The rooms were adequate with a balcony that is just big enough for two to sit on (take chairs from inside), could have been cleaner but was acceptable. One or two nights would be fine if you are not too picky. Bed was OK, no mini bar, air-con a bit noisy but more like white noise rather than really annoying. Secure parking a bonus, some under cover but not all. Stairs only, no lifts. We will stay here again because of the price and location. It could be a great hotel if more attention was given to cleaning and rooms were updated. Didn't use pool or onsite restaurant.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Sydney
Reviewed 12 November 2013

This Accom is not really a Resort as the pool I wouldn't call as Resort Style but Half way between a Motor inn and a Resort so I call it "Motor Resort". The Staff are fantastic and very friendly, the place is smack bank in West End the Public transport options are endless with the 10minute Blue Glider Bus service 3 minutes down the road outside Coles Supermarket, more buses on Melbourne Street. Walking to Southbank or South Brisbane area is no more than 12 mins and over the Bridge to Treasury Casino and beyond 16mins. The CityCycle Bike station is down on Melbourne Street 3 mins away. The room is ok Size with nice en-suite, the bed was firm the pillows were a bit sloppy, The TV is very Small and cannot be appreciated, The room had a Balcony facing the street and it was very quiet with a glimpse of Brisbane city. The Room has a kitchen sink and basic hotel cups, spoons, coffee and tea as well a very tiny bar fridge, 2 cushioned chairs and coffee table and wall aircond that may need to be replaced with the split air cond as it can be quite noisy, The Bathroom features Water Saving taps. The Swimming pool area has seen better days probably in need of a proper clean, the pavers might need to be replaced, Presentation wise the pool area isn't the best, its also nice to see a Huge C Band satellite dish Over the pool area and its also nice to see allot of the pool furniture chained up to the fence, I don't know if that's because of during bad weather to keep the furniture on the ground or the might be undesirables stealing pool equipment. The pool is quite cold in Nov, The pool also had leaves and might of needed a good clean. At the moment there is construction next door with a new building towering over the complex, with a huge crane towering hopefully doesn't take away from sun or view. The Joyful Chinese restaurant is Great there is Special Menu with Entre, Main and Rice and a Free Coke drink or glass of Red for $17. At the moment its very easy to locate the Resort you just look for the only Towering Crane or Stefans Skyneedle and you will locate the resort very easy. Don't expect modern, but maybe 1990's Motor inn, the place isn't ghastly old nor its ultra modern.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank SugBrisbane
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Well, this certainly is NOT a resort, BUT it's more than adequate for a bunch of reasons.

Firstly, I found the staff to be super friendly. Every single person I crossed paths with or spoke to was really lovely and friendly. I was also pretty impressed when I had to leave a night early due to a family emergency that they offered me a refund for the night even though I was well past their refund policy.

Secondly, you are literally in the heart of West End. Sapphire is right around the corner from the main street with shops, cafes, restaurants, bars etc. Seriously, a four minute walk and you have a smorgasbord of awesome food and entertainment options available to you. Not only that but you can walk to the Convention Centre (7-8 minutes) or walk across the river to the city (15 minutes). People walk everywhere in Brisbane, I was really impressed. Plus you can wander down (or run as I did) to the river and walk/run right along the river.

Thirdly, it's bloody cheap. I paid $433 for 5 nights. That's insanely cheap considering where it is located. And although it's cheap, it's not nasty. Yup, it's a bit old and dated and certainly nothing flash, but it's clean an spacious. The bed was average but comfortable enough with crisp clean sheets. Lots of hot water in the shower, a little balcony, desk, fridge etc. Not exact top quality stuff, like the TV, but again, it's cheap so you can accept that you get what you pay for.

Fourthly, they have free, on-site, secure parking for your vehicle, so that was good.

I really have no complaints. If you want something more resort like and classy, sure, go pay a lot more money. But if you're really only there to sleep (like I was as I was working all day each day) and want to save some money, this is the place to stay.

Yes, be warned as other reviewers have stated, you pay a $150 key deposit (and if you lose your key between 10pm and 7am there is a call out fee) on arrival that is refunded and you have to climb stairs to get to your room, but I didn't mind. They have a Chinese restaurant on site which is very convenient. I gotta say that it was pretty average compared to other Chinese food I've eaten, but it wasn't terrible and again, that staff in the restaurant are supper friendly.

All in all, if you're wanting somewhere cheap and convenient to stay that isn't cheap and nasty or dodgy, I'd recommend this place. Just be very aware that it aint no resort, you get what you pay for.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business