“Clean & friendly hostel!”
Review of Brisbane City YHA

Brisbane City YHA
Ranked #10 of 129 Speciality Lodging in Brisbane
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Clean & friendly hostel!”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I stayed here twice with my partner on our road trip, both times a 6 bed mixed dorm. Staff were friendly, rooms clean, individual lockers had plug sockets in them, which was great. The kitchen area is large and has everything you need. Showers and toilets are kept spotless.The rooftop area has amazing views of Brisbane. We payed for the $5 BBQ, which was a bargain and had some really good food. The only negatives for us were the location as it's a bit far out from everything and also the train track running behind the hostel, as the trains were quite noisy during the night!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Teamtam13

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 5 June 2014

This hostel is so pretty! The rooms are bright and very clean. I had a 4 share female room and we had our own reading light and our own very big locker in the room (with a sucket!). The kitchen is clean and everything is provided. The rooftop terras is absolutely amazing, a million dollar view! The hostel is close to the centre and you can reach everything by foot! If you want some luxury, go here!

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Manon G
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I stayed at the hostel for 2 nights in April 2014. I enjoyed my stay here. I stayed in a female only dorm which was relatively spacious and clean. The kitchen was large and well equipped.
The only downside of the hostel, much like other YHA's I've stayed in previously, is that there was not much of a social atmosphere in the common areas. So if you were travelling on your own you may want to think about staying elsewhere.
The staff were friendly and very helpful. The location was also very good. Overall I would recommend this hostel to others.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank egalla84
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

I arrived in Brisbane the evening before an early morning international flight. I only needed somewhere to rest for the few hours. I used a wotif voucher and got a bed quite cheap (a fair price though if we are talking value). after making my way, with all my luggage up the hill from the Roma st station, I found my room and climbed up onto the only bed available - the top bunk (which had clothing and towels belonging to the others in the room draped all over it). The room was crowded and incredibly messy and the bathroom was so small and moldy, there was no way of avoiding getting my clothes wet as I tried to put them on - there was water everywhere! I was happy to make my way back down the hill after a few restless hours of sleep.

Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Hayley H
AnoukVDV, Operations Assistant at Brisbane City YHA, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Hayley,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We take all customer feedback very seriously and appreciate you taking the time to write to us.

I am of course disappointed to hear of your negative experience while staying at Brisbane City YHA. Next time you stay at any YHA please make sure you let someone know during your stay if there are any issues, so we have a chance to try and fix the issue to make your stay more enjoyable. A Staff member at Brisbane City YHA, would have been able to move you to another room or maybe a private room might be more suitable next time you stay at Brisbane City YHA.

Also since your feedback I have spoken to the hostel manager who has discussed your feedback with the housekeeping department to ensure the correct procedures are followed when cleaning the guests bathrooms.

Thanks again for your feedback, it is a valuable tool which assists us to monitor our performance.

Kind Regards,

Anouk
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I'm being generous with the average rating because I've stayed @ 3 YHAs and this was worst. Service=avg (compared to other YHAs in Sydney & Adelaide meaning as good but definitely not better). For $117/nite (comparable or more than a hotel in the city if I had bought a LivingSocial or Groupon voucher), I expected the minimum amenities and did not receive it.The hiring for bath towels was unexpected (the booking confirmation or website did not specify that i should bring my own -- Syd YHA posts that fact on their site). Bathrooms were spotlessly clean. Porch area very inviting and clean. Cafe wth sandwiches was good and reasonably priced for freshness. The room was fine.

Room Tip: Mine was at carpark level and even so, it was not as loud as it could have been. I slept fine.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Dear none a,

Thank you for the feedback you recently submitted to Trip Advisor regarding your stay at Brisbane City YHA.We take all customer feedback very seriously and appreciate you taking the time to write to us.

At outset I was very disappointed to read that your booking confirmation did not specify that you need to bring your own towel, as this is set as a standard to be included. Would you be able to let me know through which website you made your booking, so we can ensure this detail is included(brisbanecity@yha.com.au).

Kind Regards,

Anouk
UK
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I recently stayed in this hostel for two nights during my trip to Brisbane, its located on the north bank of the river and is really close to a bridge that links you to the lovely South Bank area. There are several restaurants and bars close to the hostel, also location wise its very close (10 mins walk) to the train station that takes you directly to and from the airport.

There is a swimming pool at the hostel althought I didnt have time to try it out and the reception staff were pretty friendly, aside from one guy who was really rude as soon as I arrived (with severe jetlag haha). There is a bar attached that also serves food, overall I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Blackburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2014

For a hostel this was very clean.....loved the air con in summer too. Found it clean plenty to do from here. Kitchen, bathroom, rooms, TV room and social rooms all very clean. I did find the rooms doors really really noisy......this is my only fault-they don't close but slam shut instead at whatever time of day!!! Staff were helpful and the downstairs bar/restaurant was fab as a treat! My fav part tho was definitely the roof top pool...........!!!

Stayed February 2014