“Fab location; good food”
Review of Stokehouse Q

Stokehouse Q
Ranked #83 of 5,109 Restaurants in Brisbane
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 13 December 2017 via mobile

This restaurant came highly recommended by knowledgeable friends and didn’t disappoint. Asked for a table on the river and this was accommodated on a busy pre-Christmas day. The choices for lunch in the restaurant are obviously the same as dinner and I thought a little heavy but they were happy to accommodate me with the risotto entree accompanied by two interesting and delicious sides.

My friend and I shared the blackboard dessert which was served with a “Happy Birthday” inscribed on the dish. I mentioned in passing when I made the reservation that it was my friend’s birthday so was chuffed that they had gone to the trouble of noting that!

All in all, while not inexpensive, the meal was delightful, location unbeatable, staff friendly and informative and the “wine by the glass” menu comprehensive!

Reviewed 10 December 2017

Firstly my partner booked three weeks in advance the second day of the cricket the 24th & asked for a table for six on the river as his relatives were from the UK. We were led to a table squashed up against the kitchen with at this stage empty tables in front of us for the next hour. We ordered a couple of bottles of wine & I asked (because it was just sitting there with no-one looking at it) the blackboard with the specials if we could see it & the waitress answered ‘not until the wine arrives, so that took about 15 minutes, then we could eventually see the board! When we eventually ordered & the extras were not fully explained, we should have been to.d the fish dishes were small & to pay extra for salads or , so we ordered chips but I would have preferred salads etc. I also had 6 oysters which were the smallest I have ever seen, they couldn’t have been Sydney rock, Coffin Bay etc! some guests had espresso martinis 8 desserts. Very disappointing I’m afraid & will not want to return!

2  Thank prudencemarsh
StokehouseQ, Manager at Stokehouse Q, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2017

Hi Prudence,
I’m so disappointed to hear you didn’t enjoy your time with us. We take great care to place the bookings according to the date they booked; as you can imagine, there are a great number of people planning in advance to come to the cricket given our proximity.

The turn of phrase used by your waiter is something we have addressed, that we have reiterated the importance of being nothing but helpful and obliging to guest requests. Our staff then tread a fine line between being helpful when explaining the menu without over staying their welcome. You are correct, our oysters are locals, they are Kooringal Rock oysters from Moreton Island. Small, mineral, and very clean tasting, we love them. We think the wonderful flavour, and that they are local, makes up in spades for the size.

I am sorry that you did not feel you could speak to us directly regarding your experience; though please know that we have taken your feedback on board and will be using it to improve the service we offer.

Reviewed 10 December 2017

My colleagues and I had our xmas lunch here. Good view, good atmosphere but the food was just average. And there is no vegetarian option at all (which they had last year, according to my vegetarian colleague).

Hi Elsie_nguyen,

I must admit I was quite surprised by your post; our menu has 3 vegetarian meals and 5 vegetarian side dishes, in addition to this we have a vegan menu of 6 additional dishes. Our group dining and event menu contains an option in the entrees and mains also.

I'm sorry that these were not clearly pointed out to your colleague, please know that we always do our very best to cater to every requirement. We would love to welcome you and your colleague so you can see what we offer.

Reviewed 7 December 2017

While it has a lovely setting, overlooking Brisbane CBD, the menu was a let down. If you pay $60 for a main, plus extra for some side dish, I would expect something of excellent quality. My fillet steak, was disappointing bearing in mind the cost. I also thought the menu was limited.
Service OK. But we were all left with a feeling of disappointment with the food....

Hi MartD56,

We usually only hear good things about our steak offerings; we use some of the best suppliers from all over the country to give our guests varied options. I am disappointed to hear that you weren't happy. I hope you alerted us to this at the time so we could have done something to ensure you enjoyed the rest of your meal.

Our menu has 20 savoury options plus a board of specials; though I understand you feel this isn't varied enough, we focus on presenting beautiful dishes of quality, and we feel this is a nice balance. If you would like to discuss your thoughts in more detail, please contact me directly.

Reviewed 7 December 2017 via mobile

The weather was perfect for Stokehouse and although we were not right by the water it was close enough to show off Brisbane to our UK visitors. We were waited upon by Russell who was first class, attentive but not intrusive.