“Cheap but rightly so”

Base Brisbane Uptown
Ranked #96 of 141 Speciality Lodging in Brisbane
Reviewed 30 September 2012 via mobile

Chose this hostel as a one night stop off before catching the Sunlander train the next day and, just across the road from the transit centre, it is a great location for that. Booked a 4-bed dorm which was ensuite. Arrived to find that I was the only person in the room that night, which was fine, bit of privacy, but the previous guests rubbish and food and toiletries were strewn all across the room. Sockets hanging off the wall and tiles come away from the floor in the shower. Great location and cheap but that's about all that's good!

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank KirstyL29

Reviewed 21 September 2012

All right my overall experience here has been fantastic. The staff are super helpful and all of them are really friendly. The people that stay here are all really friendly as well and I made a bunch of new friends. They cleaned the place every day. The kitchen did get messy some times in the evening but that was from everyone cooking and it was cleaned by the staff the next day. The location itself is great, the value is great, and the bar was good at having different things going on and having deals for people staying at the hostel. There isn't any alcohol allowed in the hostel but I like that because I found there wasn't too much loudness going on so I was able to sleep. The rooms were a bit tight squeezed but it was fine. The only main complaint that I would have is that there needs to be more plug ins in the rooms. Beyond that my stay was great and I extended it even.I plan on staying here when I come back to Brisbane.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 August 2012

Apart from the kitchen, the rest of the hostel is clean with a great little bar below it however they just try to squeeze too many people into each room! There is barely any room for luggage (or to swing a cat!) I'm sure if they took out at least one bunk from each room it would be a much nicer place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Traveled over for State of Origin Game III July 4th 2012. I have to say my wife did all the research for accommodation for 7 of us family members. She chose well because 1. we didn't want to waste a lot of money on expensive hotels we saved $$$ staying there which was spent on other things like gifts to take home. 2. Excellent location to everything,Suncorp,CBD,Transit. ,Subway, KFC, restaurants ,shops & cafes all round us very short walking distance. 3. The Tin downstairs was awesome great meals & beverages at reasonable prices. Game night we met up at the Tin with all our families from Brisbane going to the game. Convenience for after drinks from the game & just head upstairs to sleep. From my experience staying there I thought it was great. Our room was good slept well, but then we didn't do a lot of that was out exploring the city. Internet & WiFi was cheap. The staff were friendly & very helpful because our niece arrived from Perth into Brisbane early as we were checking in late and they checked her in & gave her directions to everything around her. We appreciated it as they went out of their way to look after her. We arrived at 11pm and was greeted by Matt at reception who was friendly & settled us in. I enjoyed my first time stay at a backpackers and recommend anyone to go stay there even if it's just for 1 night. The transit is just outside the door. Well done Tinbilly!!

Room Tip: We stayed on level 4 room nice & quiet
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Luvsen F
Reviewed 7 July 2012

First time travelers to Brisbane from NZ for State of Origin Game III. (7) we booked for 3 nights 8 dorm. I searched & checked out most of the hostel's in the area on the internet & chose Tinbilly because of the cheap room prices & location it was close to everything just walking distance to CBD,Suncorp,Transit & also because of *The Tin* downstairs. We basically just needed somewhere to sleep & keep our luggage while we checked out Brisbane. The staff were great & helpful, Room was pretty good and clean & I slept well. On suite was cleaned & rubbish removed everyday. The Tin bar staff were kind and friendly we ate there every night awesome yummy food. We didn't use the kitchen & lounge room but it looked okay so I can't really say much there. I would recommend Tinbilly's & definitely stay there again..it is what you make of it, your paying pennies for good accommodation. Instead of finding little things to complain about get over it!! LOL!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Niue_made
Reviewed 6 July 2012

Travelled to Oz 5 times in last 5 years, and stayed there everytime I was in BrisVegas! Aslong as you meet the right people/or travel there with right people, it's amazing. I've seen it change since 2004, and it's a good location. A lot better than most backpacking places in CBD

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank iangeegan
Reviewed 2 July 2012

big kitchen and large common area, easy to meet people however, very big hostel. in front of peterpans travel agency = free wifi thats always cool. very helpfull staff. i would goo back

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo