“I've stayed in worse”

Ranked #74 of 128 Speciality Lodging in Brisbane
Porthcawl, United Kingdom
“I've stayed in worse”
Reviewed 4 February 2014

An ideal place to stay if you're a party-goer, but not ideal if you're simply in transit.
Its location is good enough, right next to the city's transit station, but aside from that, it's not really worth the stay.
Rooms were too dark and rather messy. Bathrooms were okay. Staff were friendly enough.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Jennifer D, Manager at Base Brisbane Uptown, responded to this review, 8 February 2014
Hi there alexb1990,
Thanks for taking the time leave a review. As your review does not specifically highlight any issues it's hard to address your concern. Perhaps you had messy room mates? If so, I'm sorry about that. Our housekeepers ask guests to keep their stuff tidy but sometimes they ignore this request. As for rooms being dark, I'm not quite sure about this? Was the light not working?
I'm sorry to hear it wasn't worth your stay, I hope your holiday wasn't too badly impacted by your experience here.
All the best and safe travels.
The Base Uptown Crew

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Korean first
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed 28 January 2014

I stayed at this hostel for two nights. The staff were not that friendly didn't really give you much info + $20 for key and another $10 to hire cutlery...really? The lift was broken so I had to carry my suitcase along with two other bags up four flights of stairs...no offer of help or apology for inconvenience. I stayed in an all girls room, seemed clean...well when the cleaner came on she did a pathetic vacuum around the room...bathroom was not cleaned the next morning either. Location is not too bad though. The main thing I HATE about this hostel is none of the windows open so it can feel a little stuffy and trapped...also no windows in Kitchen which is strange. Much better hostels here in Brisbane and I probably would not come back to this one....

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank 941Amz
Hi there 941Amz,
Thanks very much for leaving a review, it allows us to continually address any problems/issues that may arise within our hostel. It's very concerning to hear about interaction with staff not being of a friendly nature. Furthermore, it's a shame to hear that we didn't give you much info. This has never been my experience of our team so I'm very sorry you left with this opinion.
The $20 is a deposit for the key and likewise with the $10 cutlery depsoit, both are refunded so they aren't a hire fee. The reason we do this is to keep the kitchen tidy and clean, otherwise it would be full or messy dirty dishes and cutlery with no clean equiptment for people to use. We make no money off this system, it is intended to make the guest experience a better one.
I'm sorry about the lift, this was beyond our control and got a technition in as soon as possible, this was not ideal for us either.
Our housekeeping staff are trained to clean every bathroom, every single morning. I have not heard of this not happening before but will be looking into it.
Due the way the building was designed 10 years ago the windows cannot be opened and the kitchen is situated such that it does not back on any side of the building. As such, the building is fully air conditioned. I'm sorry this made you feel cramped.
I hope your holiday was not too badly impacted by your experience. All the best and safe travels.
Blackburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a couple of nights, with a friend. The room was a little cramped for an 8 bed, but we wouldn't be spending much time in there anyway.

The room air con was brilliant, kept the room nice and cool, brilliant when coming in from the 33 degrees outside, especially when we'd been for a run in the evening. The air con throughout the rest of the building as another story however, walking through the building was like being in an oven. Especially the transition from the lounge area on the first floor to the kitchen, as you pass the laundry room.

A nice girl on reception checked us in, and when asked what there was to do in the area, she gave us a map, pointed some free activities out and gave us some good recommendations for our visit.

There is also a bar downstairs, which serves very good food, but is quite pricey with the meals, so you might want to consider other options if you aren't cooking in the hostel.

The WiFi facilities at the hostel were also very good, I bought 24 hours unlimited access for 4 bucks and exactly it was that. The speed was very good and there were also hot spots around the building, where it would be even faster.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Hi Sam H,
Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review on Tripadvisor, reviews are very important to us! First of all, I'm glad your room provided a cool oasis from the hot Queensland summer. Since your stay here the air con has been fixed in the common room/kitchen area, unfortunately it was out of order during your stay so we apologise for that and hope it didn't impact your time too much.
I'm glad to hear we could give you some good recommendations for what to do while you were here in Brisbane, we pride ourselves on that and know this city very well so its great when people take advantage of that! Also glad yo hear the interenet was up to your standard, there's nothing more frustrating then slow internet!
Thanks very much for coming to stay with us and all the best for the rest of your travel adventures!
Cavan, Ireland
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I spent my last few days in Australia In Base Uptown and I can do nothing but recommend this place. I spent my first night here was in a 10 share dorm and then treated myself to a private room for my other two nights. The dorm was great with it's own bathroom and bright and airy with plenty of space between the beds - although there were one or two untidy room mates but that is not the hostels fault and housekeeping did remind them to tidy their things away. The private room was great for a hostel - almost soundproof (the occasional giggle out on the corridor can be heard but it is a hostel after all), tv and ensuite. Reception was always a happy friendly place where they were happy to answer any of my questions and even booked my skydive for me. The bar next door serves great food for a decent price and the bar staff are always up for a chat if you are on your own.
The only downside was the common room which was a bit crowded at peak hours but its not the end of the world in a beautiful city where the sun shines 24/7 so you can just escape to the outdoors.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Hi there Zesay,
Thankyou so much for taking the time to write a review. I'm just delighted to hear about your great time here. We strive to make everyones expereince as positive as yours was so reading your review brings a smile to my face. Our staff are continually aiming to ensure that all guests needs are being catered for so it's fantastic to read of your friendly interactions.
Thankyou so much for staying with us and all the best for the future. Please come back if you are ever in Australia again.
Reviewed 26 November 2013 via mobile

Positives:
* very cheap for time of year i.e. end of spring/start of summer ($22 per night)
* en-suite bathroom per dorm room
* smoking balcony - nice spot to chat to other backpacker smokers!
* location is brilliant - right opposite the Roma Street transit centre & not far from the CBD main streets
* has the 'Guilty Rogues' bar attached to it - $10 jugs of beer/cider for Base guests and regular activities ($5 pizzas, live music etc)
* free rice & pasta for guests
* FREE luggage storage available AFTER check out!! A lot of places will charge for locker space after check out so this was a nice bonus.

Negatives:
* No job club attached like other Base Hostels and most of the social activities were based at Base Embassy or Base Central so there wasn't much going on at the actual Uptown location
* I felt the en-suite didn't really work with the larger dorms - I stayed in a 13 bed & it was too many people for just one shower/toilet etc. There was an extra toilet on the floor I was on, but no extra showers.
* staff were ok, but not especially memorable as being uber-nice or helpful.

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Jennifer D, Manager at Base Brisbane Uptown, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Hi Jonty86,
It is great to read reviews such as yours that lists your positive and negative experiences. It allows us to work on areas that require improvement and continue with those things we do well. I'm happy to hear that price, facilities, location and free additions were all beneficial and appreciated by you so thanks very much for that feedback.
Conversely, I'm sorry to hear that there was not enough stimulation for you here at this property. As we do have three X-Base hostels in Brisbane we do tend to market this property as a quieter one and leave the Central as the more party hostel. By keeping events and parties more at Central it allows this hostel to cater for people wanting a quieter stay. In any case, we do still have a bar attached for those wanting a drink. As for the job desk, this hostel is simply too quiet to warrent having the job desk and as Base Central is a 10 minute walk away the job desk is still very accessible.
The en-suite for the larger dorms can sometimes get busy that is true, due to the design of the building that is something that is unfortunately unavoidable. Also, I hope you were not let down by any staff and will give us (perhaps at a different location) another chance in the future.
Thanks again for your review, travel safe and all the best.
The Base Brisbane Uptown Crew
sydney
Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for 1 night and im happily staying again 3 nights from now for another night, the receptionist where great and very helpful with my questions( which are most probably asked 59 times a day), the room was clean and comfortable and over all the hostel was in pretty good knick....
am looking forward to my return and I will be recommending this hostel to everyone.
Cheers

• Stayed November 2013
Jennifer D, Manager at Base Brisbane Uptown, responded to this review, 16 November 2013
Hi dottyb08,
Thanks so much for taking the time to leave us such a positive review, it is much appreciated! I'm so glad you found our reception team so approachable and friendly, we do pride ourselves on such aspects of the business so I'm glad this was your experience. I'm also glad to hear the hostel and your room was up to standard and that you felt relaxed and comfortable here.
Word of mouth is very important to any business so your recommendation is very much welcome and appreciated. Thanks for choosing to stay with us and we will see you again soon.
-The Base Uptown Crew
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 8 November 2013 via mobile

After staying in sydney base backpackers I had high expectations for base uptown, I was not disappointed by any means but there were a few things that let it down. One being the temperature of the kitchen (which was also particularly small) the heat in there was ridiculous, I would've thought this was just due to bad ventilation as there were people cooking and there are tumble driers just around the corner! It made us not want to cook. Secondly, although the staff did manage to help us out, they never seems happy or very willing to. When it came to our second to last day we wanted to stay a bit longer but they told us it was fully booked for the next night and so were the other two base backpackers, kindly he suggested the one just up the road. However, when looking on a booking website we found there were still rooms available at base embassy and the beds we left in uptown were unoccupied the following night (we had visited friends staying in the same room). On another note, the whole hostel was very clean, we had an ensuite room in an eight bed dorm which was cleaned everyday and very efficiently too! The housekeepers were friendly and respectful towards our sleepy roomie who worked nights. The guilty rogue pub next door is also very good and convenient! Security is also really good, with key cards allowing us to get in at night and use the lift as well. The room was a bit too small for four bunks but it is a hostel!! Quite a sociable place, we made some good friends there. A decent hostel which I'd definitely recommend to others, brilliant location also, especially if you're arriving by train or greyhound! :)

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Hi Grace W,
Thanks for taking the time to review our hostel. It would appear you had a mixed experience here which is great in part but also concerning. Due to the location of the kitchen in the building it is not possible to have a window in it but Iwe are now looking into getting it better ventilated such that it is not too hot for guests. It is great shame to hear about your interaction with staff, it is absolutely not our intention to give the impression that we do not 'want' to help or are not 'happy' too. Perhaps you caught someone on a bad day because this is not my experience or view of our team. I'm sorry that you left here with that view.
In terms of you booking more nights, I'm not sure what happened here but empty beds happen every night at hostels and are the result of either cancellations or no shows (guests booking but not arriving). Please be aware that you being messed around was not our intention.
Conversely, I'm glad you were satisifed with the cleanliness, location and enjoyed the bar. Guest security is also an important priority to us so I'm glad you appreciated this. Thanks also for recommending us and I hope you choose to stay at Base again and allow us to rectify those problems and meet the standard which you obviously came to expect.
Take care and travel safe.
-The Base Uptown Crew