“Awful”

Ranked #82 of 129 Speciality Lodging in Brisbane
Noosa, Australia
“Awful”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We stayed in a 4 dorm bedroom here. As soon as I got there I knew it was going to be terrible it looked run down! We picked this place because it's pretty much right outside where the greyhound would drop you off and all the other hostels seemed so far away! It's in a great location, you could literally step out side to the city centre. The rooms weren't that bad, but shared en suite was just awful! The shower was so cold! The air con didn't work either, you couldn't open the window, if you wanted to call it that their was a wall right next to our window. The kitchen is by far the worse iv seen we wanted to cancel the rest of out nights but Brisbane does not offer much options with hostels they all look pretty horrible! The price for our 4 bed dorm was 33 dollars! For that I would expect decent facility's! Overall it was a horrible hostel, I would not recommend staying here at all, you could probably find a hostel cheaper with the same run down look! Don't waste your money

• Stayed May 2014
Alex O, Manager at Base Brisbane Uptown, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Hi Kimmybreeze1,
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review, your feedback allows us to make changes that will better the hostel experience for guests. Needless to say you didn't have an ideal stay here so let's address your concerns.
1. I can't address any concerns associated with the bathroom being 'awful' as that's all you've said without going into an specifics. As for the shower being cold however, had you come and seen reception we would have happily fixed this for you in a heartbeat - no reason at all to suffer a cold shower!
2. The same goes for the air con. At any given time we ensure every aircon in the building is working and if yours was not then we could have easily fixed this for you had you come and told us there was a problem.
3. Due to building restrictions/codes we are not permitted to have opening windows on this property.
4. Again I cannot address your concerns associated with the kitchen as you have not stated any but as above had you come to see us we would have tried to remedy this.
5. I'm glad the location was beneficial for you. If this was the only positive you've taken from your stay then we can at least be glad about that.
It is unfortunate to read of your negative experience here, most specifically because as reiterated above we would have done our absolute best to fix an issues you had while you were in house. Our aim is for every guest to leave happy and we will always do everything in our power to achieve this, I just wish you had given us the opportunity.
- The Base Uptown Crew

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Korean first
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I’ve stayed here many times and in many different rooms from a double, to 4 bed female dorm to a mixed 10 bed dorm. Each room has there own ensuite. I mostly used this hostel for a place to crash when i wanted to go drinking in town and was happy with my stay. Its opposite one of the main train stations which makes an easy commute and is only a few blocks from Queen street. For the price and location i had a comfortable stay was happy with everything they offered.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Alex O, Manager at Base Brisbane Uptown, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Hi Chelsea W,
Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts, it's much appreciated. I'm glad that we were able to provide a comfortable place to crash for when you wanted to go frolicking in the city. The way your review is worded it seems you have moved on so all the best with future travels and hope to see you again.
All the best.
London
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

From the moment we stepped foot in Base Uptown we new we had made a terrible mistake. The staff was quite nice, but you could tell she really didn't want to be there. Getting upstairs, there was dirty looking old furniture in the corridors, not a good sign. We entered our dorm room and it smelt SO BAD. It was a mix between out of date food, cold pizza and some guy that hadn't washed in a couple of weeks and stinking wet clothes which left a musky feet smell. The horror continued when after jumping over and dodging rubbish and other peoples stuff, me and my sister realised that one of the 2 free beds had the stinking wet clothes hanging from it. We did rock paper scissors to decide who would sleep in it, i won so I got the bed next to the dirty en-suite bathroom. Wonderful.

We left the hostel and decided that we would deffo eat out that night. The disgusting messy room and bathroom was enough to put us off even checking out the kitchen. We're not the sort of people to complain, so even though we really should have we thought it's only one night we can manage it.

We stayed out as long as possible, we really didn't want to go back. We both thought about trying somewhere else, but thought no we will stick it out not wanting to waste money. We got in our pjs and my sister almost starting crying as she made her way up to her bunk. I couldn't let her sleep in there, what kind of sister would I be if I did? So we head to toed it in my bunk next to the en-suite, my head being right across from the toilet when the door was open.

After finally getting to sleep with my mouth and nose hidden under my freshly cleaned pjs I was rudely awoken at about 2am by some guy WEEING INCHES AWAY FROM MY FACE THE DOOR WIDE OPEN. I was in shock, I almost threw up. I screamed at him to the shut the door but the damage had already been done I couldn't get back to sleep after that with fear of it happening again.

We couldn't get outta there quick enough the next morning. The disgusting shower and disgusting sink with no soap and everyone crap everywhere just made the whole checking out thing even more traumatic after only a few hours of sleep.

The location is great, erm can't think of any other good points.

I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone, it really was one of the worst hostels I have ever stayed in.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Jennifer D, Manager at Base Brisbane Uptown, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Hi erh21,

Thanks for taking time to recall and detail your 'terrible mistake'. I must say from the outset, reading of your experience is very concerning to me and we never want any guest leaving with the apparent very negative experience you did. Let's now address your concerns...
By their nature, some travellers seeking dorm accommodation can be very sloppy and disrespectful in the way they conduct themselves and treat their surroundings. Let me assure you, we DO NOT excuse this and if people are found to be treating our rooms in such a way this is promptly dealt with. Obviously on this occasion we were not aware of the way this room had been treated. The ‘stinking wet clothes’, the smelly room and the publically urinating guest are NOT the standard here and are simply a result of disrespectful and low-hygiene guests. Again, not excused by us but sometimes not easily prevented. I must stress that we do not want or expect people to be surrounded by filth and bad smells, had I known the room had got to this state there is no way I would have checked people in there!

What is most concerning about all of this is why you didn't come to see us!? While I do appreciate you leaving a 'review', the issue here is that it's after the fact and we can now do nothing to help you! Had you come and seen us we could easily have fixed this issue which would have resulted in you being upgraded rooms and the messy/smelly guests dealt with. I personally guarantee you would have had a very comfortable and peaceful nights sleep in this instance. Customer satisfaction is our top priority, it is not an ‘every man/women fends for themselves’ situation, so any issues are always dealt with to the best of our ability. We set the bar very high here, I just wish, for your sake and ours, that you had given us a chance to show you this.

I hope your rough experience hasn’t impacted your holiday too badly and that nothing else ‘traumatic’ happens during your time in Australia. Travel safe and all the best.

- The base Uptown Crew

Travellers are raving about these Brisbane hotels

Hillsborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

Base uptown is nothing special but if all you are looking for is a bed for a night then it is fine.
Reception were ok, check in process easy although $20 key deposit - twice as much as everywhere else.
I paid for a 13 bed dorm and when I got my key it was a 6 bed dorm with only 2 other people for the night so that was good.
Bathroom wasn't awful but could do with the shower curtain being replaced or washed at least as it is black with mould and blows into you when you have the shower on.
Can't comment on kitchen as I didn't use it.
Very close to the transit centre which is good and also not far from CBD.
One suggestion to the hostel is to clear up all the broken furniture and hundreds of safes lying in the hallway it would improve the place a lot!!!

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Jennifer D, Manager at Base Brisbane Uptown, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Hi holiday602,
Thanks for taking some time out to leave your thoughts, it's much appreciated. Yes the key deposit is $20 however assuming you don't lose it this shouldn't be a problem as it is refunded to you on check out?
I'm glad you appreciated to upgrade, we try to do this for guests where feasible. Thanks for letting me know about the shower curtain, this is very constructive advice and I will definitely look into this! As for the safes and broken furniture, this last week we have been progressively removing them from the building - I definitely agree with you that they needed to go. Lastly, I agree our location is very beneficial not only because of the Brisbane Transit Center across the road but also the CBD just a few blocks away.
Thanks so much for your review, I have taken your suggestions on board to improve the place.
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I stayed there for 4 nights April 2014 in a 13 bed dorm. The hostel's location is perfect. I got off at Roma Street station from the airport and found it immediately.

My room was on the first floor at the very end of the hall but even though the bar was just below us I had no problems with noise at night and I slept rather comfortably.

Even though there were 13 of us in the room I didn't find it cramp. It was a bit inconvenient to wait for your turn to shower though. (with 13 inside a room maybe there should be 2 toilets or maybe a communal toilet per floor?)

Room service comes everyday. They change sheets and vacuum and that's all well and good but the bathroom definitely needed a lot more attention than it got.

The kitchen was well equipped (the stove was a little confusing since there were no labels on which knobs turned which stove on) but very poorly ventilated.

I was lucky that my roommates had extension cords that they kindly let me use but there weren't nearly enough plugs for all 13 of us there.

All in all I had a great stay at base. The people were wonderful and friendly. For improvements, the base should consider the number of people per room and the necessities that increases as the room capacity does. Obviously a 13 bed dorm would need more plugs and toilets that say a 6 bed dorm room.

Important things to note:
1. Wifi is NOT free. You can inquire on the front desk. I didn't get their wifi since I had data on my phone but my roommate said it was crappy wifi and it wasn't worth it. I think it costs $4 for 24 hours or $12 for one week

2. Lockers are NOT free either. Inquire about prices at the front desk.

3. You can borrow cutlery(plate, bowl, spoon, fork, knife and glass) at the front desk. You just need to deposit $10

4. Present your room key at the bar downstairs when you order to get a discount on everything! ^-^

5. You also give a $20 deposit for the key

6. I also heard they have free rice and pasta for guests but the staff never mentioned it or offered it so I didn't really know about it until I reread some of the reviews here.

7. The Guilty Rogue (the bar downstairs) has $5 pizzas after 5pm every Tuesday.

Will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Deviantyel
Hi Deviantyel,
Thank you kindly for taking the time to leave such a considered and constructive review. I’m glad the location and room setup was beneficial to you. As for the bathroom in our 13 bed dorm, we are aware this experiences added pressure due to the size of the room, however due to the design and setup of the building it is not possible to have another bathroom for that dorm. That is why the one 13 bed dorm we have is significantly discounted. I will make sure it receives ‘more attention’ in future from housekeepers though – thanks for letting us know.
We have made signs in the kitchen to display which knobs are for which hot plates, these continually get ripped down by anarchists. We will continue to replace them. The kitchen does require added ventilation and we are looking into this.
Unfortunately we recently had old lockers taken out and have ordered new ones. It is just an intermediate stage we are in. Consequently, the $3 per day lockers are all we have during this time.
We do have free rice and pasta for guests available from reception. There are some signs around indicating this so I’m sorry you missed out.
I’m glad you had a great stay here. Allow me say again that I do appreciate the pressure that the 13 bed dorm (we only have one) experiences sometimes and that is why it constantly remains a significantly discounted room. Again, thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts, it allows us to address problems and continue to improve the overall hostel experience.
Travel safe and all the best.
- The Base Uptown Crew
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We stayed here as the location is perfect, just a minute from Roma Street station, in the middle of areas with bars etc. The bar underneath the hostel is cool, reasonably priced. The rooms are basic, we had a private twin with en-suite and it was fine. I thought it was quite clean for a hostel.

I would have rated 5 out of 5, but we had a really bad experience at breakfast just before checking out. There is a poster in the elevator advertising a cooked breakfast for $8 (normally $12) to guests of the hostel. It says 'just show your room key'. On checking out I asked the reception guy if I should keep the room key for now, to show at breakfast and get the discount. He said that it wasn't necessary and the bar staff would know we had stayed. We went up and ordered the discounted breakfast and was told in a very rude manner by a very snooty barmaid that we should have the room key card to qualify. I explained what we had been told at reception and she basically looked at me as if I was lying and said 'No that is not right' in a really snooty tone. I told her I'd go back through and get a key card and she said that she would let us off this time!! As if she was doing us a favour. I nearly told her to keep the breakfast....but I was really hungry. The breakfast came and it was fine, good value.

All the other staff in the hostel and the bar were great, it was just her horrible attitude that spoiled the end of our stay. If that was my business I wouldn't let her anywhere near customers!! For info this was 10am on 13/04/14 and the girl was in her 20s with blonde hair.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Hi Smudger82,
Thanks for taking to advise of your experience. First of all I'm glad the hostel was up to your standard and your experience in that regard was positive. Conversely, it is disapointing to hear about your negative experience in the bar when ordering breakfast. We do not excuse bad customer service or a bad attitude - consequently we have looked into this matter in the aim that it will not happen again in the future.
Apologies for what was a bad finish to an otherwise great stay.
All the best and travel safe.
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Good location, right across the road from the transit center and a 10 minute walk from the city center, shops and lagoon.

The bar attached generally closes around midnight so no loud club noises until 4/5am.

Kitchen is very clean and doesn't have dirty pots and pans hanging around.

All dorm rooms are en-suite which is very handy.

Room Tip: Pay an extra could of dollar for a 6 bed dorm and share your bathroom with less people. If you ar...