“Cheap and Cheerful, Few Amenities”

Travelodge Hotel Garden City Brisbane
Ranked #44 of 159 Hotels in Brisbane
Droitwich, United Kingdom
“Cheap and Cheerful, Few Amenities”
Reviewed 14 April 2013

This is a good hotel for the budget minded in the greater Brisbane area. Location is a few miles south of the city centre, but it is convenient to get into the city by car or bus (from the huge Garden City Shopping Centre next door). Rooms are clean and quite large. Furnishing is basic. The only meal served is breakfast -- which is of poor quality and overprices, but there are plenty of local restaurants from McDonalds on up. And, the hotel has soft drink and snack vending machines. There is also a guest laundry. The next-door shopping centre has two food courts and full size grocery store. The rooms have fridges and microwaves, so you will never have an excuse to be hungry. There is plenty of free parking. One irritation is that you have to pay for wifi -- and it is not cheap. Why do hotels do this? Wifi should be in the price of the room. I stay here frequently when visiting on business and believe this is the best place in the area when you do not want to pay for luxury.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Edward B
tgcy, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Garden City Brisbane, responded to this review, 18 April 2013
Dear Edward B

I appreciate you taking the time to offer feedback regarding your recent stay at Travelodge Garden City.

I respect all comments made and note you enjoyed your stay with us.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Travelodge Garden City when next you travel.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 6 April 2013 via mobile

I stayed here over a weekend as i was in town for a wedding. There were three of us in the room with a dbl bed and sofa bed. Plenty of space even with three people. Room had tv, mini fridge and kitchette. Pillows are terrible though! Bathroom was small but clean. No wifi in rooms but free 30mins is available in the lobby. Location is walking distance to garden city shops. We had a car which was preferable to get to downtown. Plenty of parking and free. Vending machines in lobby and alcoholic bevarages can be bought at reception. Overall comfortable, clean hotel outside of downtown core.

Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Carrie P
tgcy, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Garden City Brisbane, responded to this review, 8 April 2013
Dear Carrie P

The Travelodge team strives at all times to exceed guests expectations and I am pleased that we have done so on this occasion and you have enjoyed your stay. Comments regarding the hotel pillows have been noted.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Ravenshoe, Australia
Reviewed 1 April 2013

Recently we had an overnight in this hotel on the outskirts of Brisbane, you need a car if you stay here...
The location next to the Garden City Mall is great, the hotel itself is clean and comfortable with friendly staff, our room was a reasonable size, the bathroom rather small but clean and efficient, I am surprised they do not provide hand towels in the bathroom and when I approached a housekeeper she kindly offered another bath towel...all staff overall were friendly...
Our biggest issue were the pillows, they were so flat and terribly uncomfortable, otherwise the bed was comfortable...
Overall stay was very good, no food service provided in the evening but I believe they offer a breakfast in the morning...
We would stay again if we were in that area...

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank allan_don
Dear Allan and Don

Thank you for taking the time to offer feedback regarding your recent stay at Travelodge Garden City.
All comments whether they be positive or negative are welcomed at all times and assist us with training and the ongoing development of the hotel team.
I am pleased you have enjoyed your stay and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 20 March 2013

This is a well managed and clean hotel right beside Garden City shopping centre. There is an on site guest laundry on the ground floor.
The rooms are well maintained and clean. Each room has a small microwave, cutlery, bowls, plates and cups. Very handy when traveling with your own food.
There is plenty of car parking at the hotel.
Breakfast is available each morning at an additional cost. The breakfast is quite good with plenty of selection, both hot and cold.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank ScottRo
tgcy, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Garden City Brisbane, responded to this review, 28 March 2013
Dear ScottRo

We wish to thank you for the time you have taken to submit your review of our hotel.

We strive to provide a premium product and your valued review highlights that we are continuing to meet our guests needs/expectations.

The hotel is a perfect, no fuss location for the travelling leisure and corporate guest.

I am happy that you have enjoyed your experience and found everything to be of a top standard, and we do hope to see you again as a valued guest here at the Travelodge Garden City.

Surfers Paradise, Australia
Reviewed 2 March 2013

Great location, friendly receptionist...
although the room and bathroom looks a bit dated,
The air conditioner is noisy.
But overall this is a good place for sleep and hanging around sunnybank.
only a short walk to the Garden City shopping centre.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Hans C
tgcy, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Garden City Brisbane, responded to this review, 3 March 2013
Dear Hans C

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Travelodge Garden City.

I appreciate all comments made and have relayed to my team. We do at all times strive to exceed our guest's expectations and I am pleased we have so on this occasion.

I look forward to welcoming you to the hotel when next you travel.

Gold Coast, Australia
Reviewed 30 January 2013

We stayed in a Queen room (number 324) for 2 nightson 25 and 26 January 2013. Very small room and even smaller shower/toilet. No minibar. Rooms not cleaned very well as we found a used bong in the room in the clothes hanging space. In obvious view if cleaners actually had a look. Gave to cleaner on the day. Advised reception on checkout. Emailed a complaint to the manager and got the following lame reply " I can assure you this in not normal procedure, as all rooms are thoroughly checked and cleaned daily by our Housekeeping team." What a joke "thorougly checked" hardly, if it was they would have found it. As the bong had lost most of its smell it indicates it had been there for a while. Have attached a few pics of the bong. Cheap budget hotel, you get what you pay for. So good value for the lower end of the market. But I guess if they cannot find a bong in an obvious place then how well do they really clean the rooms???

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
24 Thank Etonbeach
tgcy, Manager at Travelodge Hotel Garden City Brisbane, responded to this review, 18 February 2013
Dear Etonbeach

In my absence, I understand the Area General Manager for Toga Queensland has spoken to you and the matter has been resolved.

Should you wish any further discussion, please do not hesitate to contact myself via the hotel.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 5 January 2013

I always read Trip Advisor comments on both accommodation and restaurant visits and they are usually always a mixed bag which shows we are all different and expect different things. With accommodation I have high expectations to be able to sleep well! At Travelodge Garden City I did.
We were only in Brisbane for 3 nights, a flying visit for the graduation ceremony of one of our daughters who lives in Upper Mt Gravatt. Our plan to borrow a car from the kids went out the window, as we found on arrival - it had 'broken down'. So as we drove out of the airport I surfed the net for rentals close to where we were staying. In 15 mins I had arranged to hire a small car for $60 per day from Select Ute & Car Rentals who have vehicles at various Coles Express Service Stations. This was literally 500m from the hotel. How awesome! The hotel has a car park right out the front which was very convenient.

The hotel was manned by several helpful, polite and accommodating FOH staff. We were given pointers on a few local places to eat and shop. As we had a few hours to spare we walked over to the Garden City Shopping Centre just behind the hotel. The intention was to get a bit of fruit and cereal however I came across one of my favourite shops TS and couldn't resist a quick browse. We then headed outside to the Beach House Bar and Grill to order a meal and a couple of drinks which were accompanied by some wonderful acoustic guitar and singing. What a terrific spot to grab a good pub meal. I was also impressed by the bikie looking bartender who made me a perfect pina colada. Great start to a quick trip.

We were rarely at the hotel other than to sleep so cannot comment on the facilities or restaurant. Though the vending machine by the lift was certainly intriguing with enough options in the there to please any cravings. Ice-creams to chips and chocolates.

The bed was a queen and very comfortable. Pillows which I am fussy about were great! Sheets lovely, crisp and clean. Bathroom was functional and clean. Yes the grout may be getting old in places, but minimal impact and I can vouch for the daily clean with fresh towels. The couch and table were handy and the kitchenette served it's purpose with a fridge for the beer and a microwave to heat up a Thai meal from a great local restaurant on our last night. After a full day checking out waterfalls, the Glasshouse Mountains, the pubs and shops in Montville, this was the perfect option for us.

The hotel was in a good location for what we required, the room perfect for our time there, the price was good. The only downside and it is a very small point, was that I enjoy opening the window and being on the third floor thought this would be perfect at night. However the smoke from the outdoor smoking area wafted up constantly so this was not an option for long. It also made us realise just how sound proof the room really was, with a bus depot not too far away.

We would stay there again simply for the convenience to family.

Room Tip: ..ours was on the third floor and very good in all ways...maybe one towards either end of the wings...