“Close to entertainment centre” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Brisbane International - Virginia

Brisbane International - Virginia
Ranked #31 of 162 Hotels in Brisbane
“Close to entertainment centre”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2011

This motel is not 4 star, I would rate it at around 2.5 stars. Room was freezing with mould on the bathroom roof. Pool looks revolting and the breakfast is exorbitant at 17 dollars for toast and cereal. On the plus the location was great, our room was very quiet and the staff were all friendly and helpful. I would stay again due to it's proximity but don't expect luxury.

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank Caramelvanillalatte

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Mackay
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2011

After a lengthy drive from Mackay to Brisbane 12 hours to be exact, to see Disney On Ice, I checked into this disgusting and dirty Motel with my husband and 2 year old. Upon arriving I had to pay an extra $100 as bond incase we incurred room charges. After we checked in we had to drive out of the motel and on the the main road and around the back to another drive way to get to our room. Upon entering the room I noticed we were not given the room that I had been told upon booking what it was going to be. My husband rang reception and told them that this isn't the room we booked and they said there was nothing they could do about it as all the other rooms were booked, they never offered nothing in return.

After spending an hour there my 2 year olds feet were black from walking barefoot in the room. I don't think the tiles in the kitchen or bathroom had been mopped in weeks!! All the utensils in the kitchen were dirty like they have been rinsed and just put back in the cupboard.

I rang to order room-service for tea on our second night, once I placed the order and hung up the restaurant rang me back to say my room was a cash only room (what did I pay the $100 bond for than?? I had no mini bar in my room!!) I said I didn't have cash on me so I had to go down to the restaurant and pay for the food and carry it back myself, so much for room service. To top it off the chips were cold, dry and old and the rest was just pure crap. I have put in an official complaint about this motel to health inspectors and building inspectors and motel star reviewers. I don't know what gives this place its 4 star rating it more is along the lines of 2! If your looking for somewhere close to stay for the entertainment centre I suggest you look for somewhere else.

Needless to say we checked out the next day after seeing Disney On Ice and said a few words to the receptionist about the $100 deposit I paid for nothing than they tried to charge me for room service again! (A few obscenities were exchanged!) went and found a nice unit on the beach at Sandgate, we enjoyed the rest of our holiday this place was great!!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Joanie82
Auckland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2011

You can see how this hotel would have been a nice, resort-style hotel in its heyday, but no longer. It's now very tired and very isolated. We stayed here as we were running a training workshop on-site for a client located in the area. I think many people choose this hotel for proximity to the airport, but it's still a 20 minute/$30 taxi ride, so not entirely close.

The room was dark, as many of the lightbulbs were not working. There was also mould on the ceiling in the bathroom. Interestingly, the bedside clock radio was controlled by a lightswitch on first entering the room, I also had other mystery light switches.

Front-desk service was very good.

Restaurant service was hit and miss, being the only two people eating breakfast in the restaurant appeared to be an inconvenience for the staff.

Be warned that it is located on a main road.

Broadband internet was relatively cheap by hotel standards.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank KiwiTraveller012
Victoria
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2011

I stayed here on a number of occasions from the November 2010 to March 2011 period.

The general tip is to avoid staying at the older rooms and stay at the apartments located in building towards the back of the complex as the apartments are newer. However, avoid getting the apartment nearest the main road as the road is busy even at 2 am and will definitely disturb your sleep. Get an apartment near the lift.

The old rooms (the studio types) are showing their age (cracks, obvious patch up jobs, etc.). Also, during my last stay, I killed a number of bugs/critters in the room I was staying.

Food was good I had the barramundi and the salmon for dinner a number of times and they were good each time. Room service was prompt as food comes in around 20 minutes after placing the order.

There is a pool but I don't think anyone would want to have a swim given that it is a small pool right smack in the middle of the parking lot!

Room Tip: Get an room in the apartment building
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2010

The motel is located on a main road so was very noisy and this was on the weekend. Aircon was very noisy despite being set on 'whisper quiet' therefore disrupting much needed sleep. Rooms tired and in need of upgrading (much smaller than photos on website) but clean. Beds comfy. Fast food and Night Owl convenience shops within walking distance. No microwave and small fridge enough to fit a couple of drinks. Suitable for overnight stays.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
Gold Coast
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2010

Front desk staff were "under-friendly" but not rude.
Stayed in an "Executive Suite", with spa... I wouldn't have called it that. Yes there was a spa but there was nothing executive about this "suite" and the spa was dirty.
There were also cobwebs on lamps and drinks leaking in bar fridge. Very poor housekeeping.
On checkout, we weren't even asked if we enjoyed our stay - pressumably because they know most people would say it was below expectations.
Wish I'd checked out the reviews before booking.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NMWGoldCoast
adelaide
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2010

Its not close to the airport its not close to town it was very expensive for what it is virginia palms should not have 4 stars im putting in a offical complaint!
on first impressions i could tell i had been tricked via photo's and fancy wording from the internet...it had three very busy almost highways on three sides, the pool was in the middle of the car park, the room well it had a crack under the airconditioner i could see out side, the bathroom was disgusting which gave the rest of the room a dirty feel wondering what else they havent changed or cleaned!
when i decided to have some lunch it was very overpriced and non awardwinning chef by any means the food made me quesy afterwards,
when i went back to the room i could smell a weird smell,
i had to go out heaps of $ in taxi fares later i came back walked into my room and it smelt like raw sewrage i soon relized the smell was coming up from the drains i couldnt even stand being in that bathroom for 2 secs the smell was that strong!
At breakfast the wait staff tried to swindle me out of my hot breakfast with a cold aternative and tried to get me to pay more to have hot , The hot breakfast is a bunch of bainmarees with under stocked old food that was hard as rubber and i was in there by 8am.
when i checked out the next morning i complained about the smell as i also left the hotel early cause i couldnt relax in the room with the stench they had a cleaner check the room before returning the deposit the cleaning lady said she thought it was a deodrant i was shocked cause the smell was worse than a sewrage plant in the room i susggested they go check it out them selves i could tell they had no intention too and have had that complaint before , i was offered nothing for the inconvience.

It was awlful

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank MISSLAE
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brisbane
Brisbane International - Windsor
Essence Serviced Apartments
The Point Brisbane Hotel
The Point Brisbane Hotel
#11 of 162 in Brisbane

Been to Brisbane International - Virginia? Share your experiences!