“I'm sorry but I won't be back”

Brisbane International - Virginia
Ranked #49 of 169 Hotels in Brisbane
Reviewed 20 July 2011

It was a convenient place to stay, close to the airport and reasonably affordable however once you are there it certainly is a bit of an eye opener. On arrival the front desk clerk (Patrina) was very hostile and not very helpful and didn't explain the location of the room clearly hence I got lost. The rooms are very dated stepping back to the 60's however they were very clean and neat. The dinner was abismal having to wait over 50 minutes for a steak which was overcooked and cold and feeling like they should have made more of an effort with the service as the restaurant was not very full. The breakfast buffet was lovely with the service a lot better however was very annoyed to see Patrina in there giggling and talking very loudly with one of the chefs drinking coffee. On check out Patrina was there again however this time was talking about her weekend and drinking coffee with two other blonde haired female staff members in the middle of the foyer and contined to talk with them while checking me out. It is very dissapointing to see such a level of casualness and unprofessionalism having myself worked in the industry for many years. The general manager should be concerned.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank buddy052
BrisInt, General Manager at Brisbane International - Virginia, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2011

We pride ourselves on delivering outstanding customer service and an enjoyable stay for all our guests. It is therefore concerning to receive your feedback to advise that this was not the experience you enjoyed.The quality of our service is continually monitored and we encourage all forms of input from our guests to ensure our standards are being met. We certainly take on board your comments and continue to improve in this area.Customer Service is one area we consistently receive compliments and positive feedback and Petrina is regularly recoginised for her performance in this area.I would like the opportunity to personally address the review comments from your recent stay with us. The best email address is glenn@palmsinternational.com.au or by telephone (07) 3265 7066. I look forward to hearing from you. Regards, Glenn Barnes

Reviewed 9 July 2011

This motel is not 4 star, I would rate it at around 2.5 stars. Room was freezing with mould on the bathroom roof. Pool looks revolting and the breakfast is exorbitant at 17 dollars for toast and cereal. On the plus the location was great, our room was very quiet and the staff were all friendly and helpful. I would stay again due to it's proximity but don't expect luxury.

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank Caramelvanillalatte
Reviewed 7 July 2011

After a lengthy drive from Mackay to Brisbane 12 hours to be exact, to see Disney On Ice, I checked into this disgusting and dirty Motel with my husband and 2 year old. Upon arriving I had to pay an extra $100 as bond incase we incurred room charges. After we checked in we had to drive out of the motel and on the the main road and around the back to another drive way to get to our room. Upon entering the room I noticed we were not given the room that I had been told upon booking what it was going to be. My husband rang reception and told them that this isn't the room we booked and they said there was nothing they could do about it as all the other rooms were booked, they never offered nothing in return.

After spending an hour there my 2 year olds feet were black from walking barefoot in the room. I don't think the tiles in the kitchen or bathroom had been mopped in weeks!! All the utensils in the kitchen were dirty like they have been rinsed and just put back in the cupboard.

I rang to order room-service for tea on our second night, once I placed the order and hung up the restaurant rang me back to say my room was a cash only room (what did I pay the $100 bond for than?? I had no mini bar in my room!!) I said I didn't have cash on me so I had to go down to the restaurant and pay for the food and carry it back myself, so much for room service. To top it off the chips were cold, dry and old and the rest was just pure crap. I have put in an official complaint about this motel to health inspectors and building inspectors and motel star reviewers. I don't know what gives this place its 4 star rating it more is along the lines of 2! If your looking for somewhere close to stay for the entertainment centre I suggest you look for somewhere else.

Needless to say we checked out the next day after seeing Disney On Ice and said a few words to the receptionist about the $100 deposit I paid for nothing than they tried to charge me for room service again! (A few obscenities were exchanged!) went and found a nice unit on the beach at Sandgate, we enjoyed the rest of our holiday this place was great!!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Joanie82
Reviewed 25 April 2011

You can see how this hotel would have been a nice, resort-style hotel in its heyday, but no longer. It's now very tired and very isolated. We stayed here as we were running a training workshop on-site for a client located in the area. I think many people choose this hotel for proximity to the airport, but it's still a 20 minute/$30 taxi ride, so not entirely close.

The room was dark, as many of the lightbulbs were not working. There was also mould on the ceiling in the bathroom. Interestingly, the bedside clock radio was controlled by a lightswitch on first entering the room, I also had other mystery light switches.

Front-desk service was very good.

Restaurant service was hit and miss, being the only two people eating breakfast in the restaurant appeared to be an inconvenience for the staff.

Be warned that it is located on a main road.

Broadband internet was relatively cheap by hotel standards.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank KiwiTraveller012
Reviewed 13 April 2011

I stayed here on a number of occasions from the November 2010 to March 2011 period.

The general tip is to avoid staying at the older rooms and stay at the apartments located in building towards the back of the complex as the apartments are newer. However, avoid getting the apartment nearest the main road as the road is busy even at 2 am and will definitely disturb your sleep. Get an apartment near the lift.

The old rooms (the studio types) are showing their age (cracks, obvious patch up jobs, etc.). Also, during my last stay, I killed a number of bugs/critters in the room I was staying.

Food was good I had the barramundi and the salmon for dinner a number of times and they were good each time. Room service was prompt as food comes in around 20 minutes after placing the order.

There is a pool but I don't think anyone would want to have a swim given that it is a small pool right smack in the middle of the parking lot!

Room Tip: Get an room in the apartment building
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 November 2010

The motel is located on a main road so was very noisy and this was on the weekend. Aircon was very noisy despite being set on 'whisper quiet' therefore disrupting much needed sleep. Rooms tired and in need of upgrading (much smaller than photos on website) but clean. Beds comfy. Fast food and Night Owl convenience shops within walking distance. No microwave and small fridge enough to fit a couple of drinks. Suitable for overnight stays.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 May 2010

Front desk staff were "under-friendly" but not rude.
Stayed in an "Executive Suite", with spa... I wouldn't have called it that. Yes there was a spa but there was nothing executive about this "suite" and the spa was dirty.
There were also cobwebs on lamps and drinks leaking in bar fridge. Very poor housekeeping.
On checkout, we weren't even asked if we enjoyed our stay - pressumably because they know most people would say it was below expectations.
Wish I'd checked out the reviews before booking.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple