“Awesome friendly hotel”

Banana Bender Backpackers
Ranked #71 of 140 Speciality Lodging in Brisbane
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I spent about 4 months at Banana Benders. If you are looking for a quiet place to stay, close to the city center, there you are ! Located at 10 min by walk from Roma Street Station or 5 min by walk from Normanby Station. There is a Coles supermarket at 200m down the street, which is very convenient, cinema, bars and restaurant in the barracks !
Rooms are ok, comfortable, clean, some rooms are equipped with carpet. The kitchen is cleaned at least twice a day, it's maybe a bit small, but it makes the conversation easier with people and fully equipped ! The must is the terrace, overlooking Paddington and the Mount Coot-Tha, which is a very nice panorama when its lightening !
I really enjoyed my four first months in Australia at Banana Benders ! Thanks to a great team ! Ben and Chris (management team) are the people who smile the most ! they were always very friendly and helpful ! I DEFINITELY RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL ! CHEERS MATES !!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank clement d

Reviewed 5 February 2014

I stayed here for over 2 months and would gladly have stayed longer. The hostel is quiet, friendly, affordable and a great place to meet people. The owners are also really nice and since I was traveling alone, they made me feel very welcome. The hostel is very clean and the bathrooms and kitchen are cleaned every day.They were very helpful in telling me where to go and things that I should do around the city and the surrounding areas. Banana is about 10 mins walk from the CBD so there's plenty to do if you don't feel like staying in.
It is not a party hostel and I consider this a big plus. You can't bring alcohol into the hostel but you can buy some from reception. Like I said, it's a quiet place and I spent many a lazy day just lounging on the patio or in the TV room. I really liked Banana because the people who stay there are really friendly and make you feel welcome - many a movie night were had, random video game competitions and more. The hostel also hosts many activities such as game nights and bbqs so there are plenty of ways for you to get to know people. I liked it so much and had such a great time that I've recommended it to pretty much everyone.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank AnnieNJ88
Reviewed 21 January 2014 via mobile

I came here the 16th of September and I left the 13th of November... It was a really long period but I really enjoyed my stay here! I met so many beautiful people ( I called them my second family!). I was in a 4 bed dorm really clean and tidy! It is the only hostel in Australia where I was walking without shoes! The owners and the staff are really nice persons they were always in my heart! They helped me with some many questions, about the job, the city, the market around the city, the Australian culture... It was an amazing experience and I think is my best in Australia! At all the people are travelling in Australia I am recommend to stop in Brisbane and enjoy the beautiful atmosphere in this hostel! You can have sit on the terrace and have a beautiful see of Brisbane! Are you working? Here you can find a good sleep! ;) thanks a lot for everything

Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Feffa2013
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Okay, so the facilities were clean and location isn't that bad (although most of the hostels are all pretty close to each other it seems).

However, besides the basics, not much to talk about here. The staff really wasn't that helpful or friendly at all. We asked for help with the bus schedule and we got "don't you have internet?"

There are no safes in the room, although they claim theft hasn't been a problem. But you feel nickeled-and-dimed here. You have to pay for wifi ($5 per day, $20 per week) and you would think with paying that fee it would be reliable. But we didn't get any reception in our room and even right next to the WIFI hot spot the service cut in and out and was very poor even when it was working. There are several places in town that have free wifi, don't pay for it here, just go to a coffee shop or something.

There is no airconditioning in the rooms so our room was really stuffy, even with the fan on. Bathrooms and rooms were clean. There is laundry and a good sized kitchen. You have to pay to rent a towel and if you want to store luggage after 4 pm when you check out, there is a fee for that too. You aren't allowed to take alcohol into the hostel because they sell it on premise.

I probably wouldn't stay here again unless there wasn't any other options available. They can really work on their hospitality. A little goes a long way in the backpacking world.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Melissa B
BBenders, Front Office Manager at Banana Bender Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Thanks for your review Melissa B.
Banana Bender Backpackers tries it's very best for provide backpackers with all the essentials to make their stay a happy and pleasant time. Thanks for complimenting Banana Benders for being clean - CLEAN bedrooms and bathrooms- that is so rare in most hostel review.
But we were surprised and sorry you didn't find the Reception staff approachable and helpful- we will try harder.
Most wifi users enjoy a great service throughout the building including their bedrooms - unfortunately there are a couple of dead spots around the building which we
are working to rectify.
Like many hostels catering for the budget minded traveller we offer air conditioned rooms as an option for an small fee.
Melissa B you obviously chose the cheaper fan cooled option on some of the hottest nights of the year. Sorry again.

Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

When I book hostels, I look for 4 things: good location, cheap rates, clean and safe. If those are your criteria as well, this place fits the mold. However, do not expect anything above and behind this...

Pros:
- good prices
- nice covered, outdoor deck
- very clean
- felt safe
- good location

Cons:
- unhelpful staff (a little shocking coming from 3 other Australian hostels that were so friendly! Examples: wouldn't help us make a local phone call, no help with the bus schedule (told us to search it on the Internet which was not the best at this place anyway), told us that "hospitality" isn't their thing)
- wifi was $5/1 day, $7/2 days, $20/week and often times doesn't work (no reception in our room, for example)
- no safes in rooms for storing valuables
- no alcohol allowed (they sell their own)
- $2 to rent a towel

Overall recommendation: I would not recommend this hostel and would only stay here again if everything else was booked.

Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank MariaMaria55
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We stayed here when we first arrived into Brisbane but we only stayed one night and moved down the road to Chill Backpackers. The facilities and the rooms were very basic although it was cheaper than other options in town. Still relatively close to the town centre, so location isn't bad. Would stay here again but only if other stuff was booked up.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 July 2013

It's a bit off the city center (like 20 mins walking) but it's clean and close to coles and claxton st (bars and restaurant).. At the arriving the man at the desk was kind of unfriendly and i had to ask for sheets but then all the rest of the staff was really friendly and everything ended up going good.
I would definitely go back there if i happen to be back in brisbane

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo