“Rydge's Southbank”

Ranked #34 of 157 Hotels in Brisbane
Gold Coast
“Rydge's Southbank”
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Rydge's Southbank does it well! From the first greeting by the Valet Parking Team, to the front desk staff, and everyone in between, you are always made to feel special, and very welcome! Nothing is too much trouble. A great location in Brisbane's Southbank precinct, close to everything, walking distance to heaps of local attractions such as Museum, Art Gallery, Restaurants and Eateries, the Brisbane River and Ferries.
Great views, lovely clean rooms, crisp sheets on the super-comfy bed, fluffy towels, everything you need is catered for! Ease of checking in, and checking out, brilliant!
A great place to stay, perfect for a quick weekend getaway!

Room Tip: Hold out for the discounted specials on the web closer to your travel dates if you can, and it's...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank MeMyselfandI50
, Duty Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this review, 11 July 2012
Dear “MeMyselfandI50”

I am very grateful for the lovely words regarding our staff, I will certainly pass them on to the team.
You have summed South Bank up for me, we are very lucky indeed to be located here.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near futre.

Thanks again Scott

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (653)
Sydney
Reviewed 5 July 2012

A typical hotel room, adequate, but a bit on the tight side when adding in a desk a corner chair. Our room had a balcony which gave it a good feel.

The bathroom, though adequate, was small, with the shower over the bath, and we struggled with 2 in the bathroom at the same time.

Good size flat screen TV and the queen bed was very comfortable. The room had a kitchenette with microwave and crockery/cutlery for 2 (no bowls but we didn’t ask). The exterior timber work is tired and needs upgrading.

Not all light globes were working on our arrival; the fluorescent in the bathroom and the table lamp. To be fair they were not necessary and we didn’t ask for them to be fixed.

We had a bed and breakfast package which was very good value. The buffet on the 12 floor was very good with a nice view back to the city.

The buffet was closed on our last morning and we were directed to the “CBD Cafe” on the ground floor. They really weren’t set up for this and surprisingly the food at the “public” cafe was quite inferior to in-house guest buffet. There was no-one around to explain to you how it worked and you eventually wondered over to the counter to order. I assume this was a one off, but if it was because of low house guest numbers, check before you sign up for a package. The breakfast on our last day was very disappointing and we would rather have eaten somewhere else. Why is it that restaurants and cafe’s attached to hotels can’t make good coffee. If you enjoy a good coffee, save yourself and get it somewhere else.

The hotel did not have a swimming pool when we stayed but were building one. The hotel is close to South Bank public beach/swimming pool which is really nice. South Bank is our prefered location is Brisbane. The area looks and feels nice, has good access to ferrys, restaurants, theatre, entertainment and the "beach" swimming pool.

Service throughout our 3 night stay (except for the CBD Cafe experience which I have assumed was a one off) was pleasant and very efficient.

Room Tip: Odd numbers I think are on the river side (views), even numbers could be at the back of the hotel ad...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
, Duty Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this review, 6 July 2012
Dear “SaleenXTRM”

Thank you for your detail review of the hotel,

The rooms with balconies attached are a great choice as it allows the fresh air to come in. We have recently installed new beds into all of our guest rooms and they have been a huge success.
The issues with the light globes should have been picked up prior to you checking in, so I apologise this was not the case.

The buffet breakfast on Level 12 is a perfect setting to relax, eat and enjoy the views of the city. It is disappointing you have not enjoyed the breakfast experience on the final day in our CBD cafe, which is usually highly regarded. I guess our coffee did not meet up to your expectation, but we do have many customers from outside the hotel that come in the mornings just for the coffee.

South Bank is a great place to be located, close to everything and with none of the city traffic. The swimming pool set for completion in September will be a wonderful addition to the hotel. The new Podium Level will also have a new restaurant and bar called Bacchus, I highly recommend a visit when opened.

Our staff are known for their service and it is good to see it has been delivered. Again I apologise for your experience in CBD.

Thank you again for your time and the review, I do hope you will come back to the hotel in the near future.

Kind regards

Scott
Reviewed 1 July 2012

I have stays here a few times, and every time is always a great stay. Great location, Staff are always helpful, rooms are clean and very comfortable. The Buffet breakfast is beautiful everything you could every want. You can't go wrong with this hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear “Scottitash82”

It was lovely to read your review,

Thank you for the kind words regarding the hotel and our staff. I am very grateful for your returning loyalty. I look forward to welcoming you in the near future.

Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 29 June 2012

Travelling a lot for work, I am always looking for hotels in the capital cities that I know provide me with the level of comfort and quiet that I need. Having stayed at the Rydges South Bank Brisbane on several occasions, this place fits the bill. Staff are always pleasant. Rooms are comfortable and well appointed. There is a bar and restaurant on the ground floor and top floor (which is where breakfast is served). Price wise it is ok. Brisbane is becoming quite expensive.

A couple of things to note however is that the hotel is next to the train line but I have rarely heard the rattle of trains. Particularly in the hours - late afternoon/evening/early morning that I am in the hotel. There is some renovations going on at the front of the hotel but this has not been any inconvenience. The breakfast buffet is good but the staff seem overworked and coffee/tea is provided on request.

I have made this hotel my first choice for accommodation on my regular trips to Brisbane.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
, Duty Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this review, 30 June 2012
Dear “babyaisiebarb”

I am pleased Rydges South Bank has become your choice of hotel in Brisbane, and appreciate your return loyalty.
The renovations to the facade of the hotel are drawing to a close and the end result is set to impress.

I look forward to your future visits and again thank you for your review.

Scott
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 28 June 2012

From the time we walked into the Rydges Hotel Southbank to the time we left - it WAS a beautiful experience. We had booked a Deluxe King Suite which overlooked Southbank and part of the CBD, which looked absolutley magical at night all lit up. A bottle of champagne and handmade chocolates were waiting for us on arrival! Everything we wanted was at hand, or not far away. The staff were all friendly, helpful, very efficient,and professional. It was quite an experience for both of us and one that won't be forgotten. THANK YOU for making this occassion so very special.

Dear “June628”

I am very glad Rydges South Bank could play a part in your special occasion. The Deluxe King Suite is a wonderful choice of room for a birthday celebration, the champagne and chocolates adds that special touch.

Thank you for your comments regarding our staff at the hotel, I know they really appreciate the recognition.

I hope I have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 26 June 2012

What a wonderful time we had. Great hotel, great staff, great location. My husband finally relaxed. Everything we wanted was either at the hotel or just a moments walk away. We even got to see a movie without the kids. Woohoo. Thoroughly recommended. This is our second time back and have realised that when you don't have to constantly get in the car, and still see some amazing things, you relax more. We will be back time and time again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
, Duty Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this review, 27 June 2012
Dear “Mary L”

It is fantastic to read you have enjoyed a relaxing stay with us at Rydges South Bank. I am very grateful for your comments regarding the hotel and our staff, I will pass your comments on directly.

The South Bank precinct is a wonderful location with everything at our doorstep. The movie away from the kids is an added bonus.

I certainly look forward to your next visit and welcoming you back to the hotel.

Reviewed 26 June 2012

What a wonderful time we had. Perfect location, beautiful room, friendly and helpful staff. My husband finally relaxed. Everthing we needed was either at the hotel or just a moments walk away. This is our second time back and we have decided Rydges South Bank gives us the opportunity to relax, no need to get in the car to go to anything our hearts desire. Even saw a movie without the kids. Woohoo. There was always something to do.