“Surprised Stay”

Rydges South Bank Brisbane
Ranked #34 of 168 Hotels in Brisbane
Reviewed 3 September 2014

I thought the Rydges brand was a good one. I was surprised how outdated this hotel was being next to the Convention Centre and how much it costs to stay a night here. Admittedly I opted for a twin room with river front view and a balcony but found the room to be only just clean. I wont go into detail as it was trivial but I did notice the room was stuffy when I walked in. The curtains were fully closed - would have better if they were open so your first impression was the fantastic view (I arrived there about 4pm). The stuffiness did not improve when turning the air con on. I contacted room service to have it rectified. I was advised maintenance had gone home for the night and that they would supply me with a fan. I had paid good money for the room and asked to be moved to another room with air con that worked. The kind Concierge organised and assisted me moving to another room (right next door). Not sure what the idea was but the curtains were also fully drawn.
The location of the hotel is great and the view at night time was fantastic. South Bank is just across the road and there is a ferry to take you across the other side to the Casino and the Mall - all easy walking distance. The South Brisbane train station is also very close and easy walking distance - which is great as there is a direct line to the airport. I would stay here again as the location is excellent. Room service was great and the little hiccup I had with the air con could happen anywhere. I still think the hotel is about due for a thorough clean and make over though. Also a bonus to have free Wi-Fi but more and more hotels are now offering this feature.

Room Tip: River front view with a balcony
  • Stayed: September 2014, travelled on business
Rui O, Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2014

Dear Teresa700,

Thank you for providing us with feedback from your stay.

Please accept my apologies for the issues you had in your room. I hope that the room move resolved the air con issues for you and did not detract too much from your stay.

We close the curtains in our rooms and set the auxiliary lighting to create a calming, quiet and relaxing feel to the room. Also, the Queensland sun often streams in and makes the room warmer, which the block out curtains help to ease as well.

The hotel occupies a great location in the Brisabne CBD district, close to many great shops, restaurants and entertainment areas. I am glad to see that the hotel's proximity to the train station and city was convenient for you.

Currently, the Rydges South Bank and her sister properties are the only hotel chain in the country to offer free, unrestricted wireless internet access as standard. We hope to have set the trend for others to follow as Australia was, for a time, lagging behind the rest of the world in this respect. We have heard great feedback from our guests who use this service.

There are newer reviews for Rydges South Bank Brisbane

Reviewed 3 September 2014

We chose Rydges as we were staying with our teenage sons to see Mythbusters show at the Convention Centre.The position is absolutely no. 1, as you can access the convention centre through a stairwell which takes you into a large courtyard attached to the convention centre. As our boys are getting older a standard hotel room is often too small but this one was great. Lovely QS beds and still plenty of room to get around. Well equipped with the usual mini bar but also has a kitchen bench with it's own sink and microwave - much easier for filling the kettle for a "cuppa". Outlook was lovely - looking towards the city and river. People have commented the rooms are a bit worn which I would agree with but overall the hotel is in great condition. Common areas are really nice, especially the restaurant where we had a very extravagant breakfast in beautiful surroundings (with a price tag to match - so be careful). Room service was all excellent with good variety of food. Also very much appreciated the service in this busy hotel. We hadn't realised the parking would be valet, but that was fine and we unloaded our luggage while they took the car. Later I realised I had left my jacket in the car and asked the Concierge if he could get it for me sometime. He took my details and later delivered it to my room without any hesitation. We would definitely stay here again, even if we had to walk over the bridge to the City as it was such a pleasant experience.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a riverview.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Michelle1921

Dear Michelle1921,

Thank you for providing us with feedback from your stay.

I am glad to see that you found the hotel, its location and facilities to be perfect for your stay. We occupy a great location in the Brisbane CBD district, close the Convention Centre, restaurants and other entertainment areas.

I am glad you found the room comfortable. We have recently completed renovations to the public areas of the hotel - namely the Podium and Lobby areas - and have now turned our attention to our guest rooms and suites.

I will pass on your kind feedback to our Concierge department - they work hard to make our guests happy and any positive feedback validates that hard work.

Reviewed 2 September 2014

WOW...after spending a whole day in airport we had another flight cancelled..Qantas put us up for the night in this hotel and we were amazed..so comfortable.
we had a twin room with two double beds, the best beds we have ever slept on, felt like you were on a cloud! Pillows to die for soo comfortable. Our room was so nice. We were on the second floor no view but didnt need one.
fantastic blockout curtains and rooms so quiet felt like we were the only people on our floor ( however hotel was fully booked)
Your room has a little kitchen in it that comes with bar fridge, sink and microwave, very handy.
Bathroom is standard, however nice and clean with lots of towels.
great stay. Had room service which was fast and delish... very surprised.
Staff were friendly..it was such a shame we only had a small amount of time there. Very impressed and will be looking at going back for a holiday sometime.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Tina733,

Thank you for the kind comments regarding your stay with us.

As unfortunate as the circumstances of your stay were, we are glad to see that we were able to take some of the stress away from what we can only assume was a tiring day!
We always aim to please and to be able to have you leave rested and comfortable compliments the hard work we do.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 1 September 2014

I recently stayed at Rydges Southbank Brisbane and had a room with a view of the river , the room was excellent , the service was excellent and the CBD bar downstairs is still my favourite place to eat and drink , this hotel is near restaurants the convention centre , Q pack entertainment venue , 10 minutes from the casino and city centre , 5 minutes to the railway station and the museum , a 15 minute stroll to West end , which has plenty of restaurants and has a Greek background

Dear Mark D,

Thank you for providing us with feedback from your stay.

It is great to see that you enjoyed your time with us at the Rydges South Bank. We are in a great location, close to many restaurants, entertianment areas and boutique shopping. Our very own CBD cafe is a great place to unwind and catch up with friends.

Reviewed 1 September 2014

Huge range of restaurants over the road, lovely walks. Great breakfast and coffee in attached cafe.
Pool is on the first level, opening windows, great views of the city lights across the river, easy walk to the Exhibition Centre.

Room Tip: rooms towards the big wheel would be quieter , across Grey St is industrial air conditioning fans th...

Dear rowpross,

The Rydges South Bank occupies a great location in the Brisbane CBD district and showcases some of the best dining and entertainment the city has to offer.

Reviewed 31 August 2014

A colleague and I stayed here for a Conference at the Brisbane Convention Centre. We shared a basic Twin Room. Rydges Southbank is ideally located for any events at the Brisbane Convention Centre, with access via Podium Level (lots of stairs) or along street level. The driveway of this hotel appears to be problematic, with Concierge Staff spending a lot of time directing traffic! We arrived in a taxi, so did not have to bother ourselves, but if arriving by car, I would recommend you try and approach from Glenelg Street so that access is on your left. We stayed on the second floor and our room was next to the elevators. At first this was a concern for us, but thankfully, the room was quiet and we had virtually no noise from the public area outside the elevators. The room was basic, but had all that we needed. Beds were comfortable and pillows were great. The bathroom was small, but adequate and had a great shower with hand held nozzle over a bath with a curtain. No exhaust fan in the bathroom though. The light in the room seemed dull and at times we were forced to use our phones or move to the window to read anything. We used room service on three occassions, once for breakfast. The Rydges Grand Breakfast was more than enough for the two of us and combined cooked and continental options, but, as is often the way for room service, the hot food was not very hot. On our first night we both ordered the Movie Tray option, which included meal, drink, popcorn, ice cream and rocky road. My pizza was average, undercooked actually and my requested anchovies appeared to have been added after cooking, my friend was happy with her fish and chips option. The second night we both ordered the Waygu Beef Burger, which was delicious and difficult to eat in a way that resembled composed in any way!! The accompanying chips were good. On one morning we ate breakfast in the on site CBD Cafe/Bar and while the food was good, the coffee took forever to arrive at our table.....we had almost finished eating! One afternoon we again went to CBD for Coffee and it arrived in a much more timely manner. The Concierge/Porters were outstanding, as well as their traffic directing duties they were on top of all things, including ordering taxis, offering umbrellas and plenty of conversation and laughs. My only negative comment is in regard to housekeeping. We both thought that the bed making was a bit like a teen boy had done it, certainly didn't feel 'made' and the cleanliness of the bathroom was a little below par, including hair in basin being ignored for a 24 hour period. Check in and check out was easy. Location was perfect for not only our work needs, but for restaurant and bar options. A very easy stroll to take in the Brisbane River walk and Southbank area. A medium walk across the river to the CBD or a cheap taxi ride if raining. Easy walking distance to the Cultural Centre, Art Gallery, Museum etc. A great book/music store next door too. If I were travelling to Brisbane in future, I would stay here again, but would definately upgrade my room, so that we had a balcony and a river view. The WiFi was excellent, we used 4 devices the entire time we stayed (4 nights) and had no issues at all.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms with Balcony, the view of the Brisbane Wheel and River, across to the CBD are outstand...
1  Thank Tina D

Dear TinaD,

Thank you for providing us with feedback from your stay.

It is great to read that you found the hotel and its facilities convenient and useful to yourselves during your stay. We have recently completed renovations to our public areas--namely the Podium Level and the Lobby/Bar area--and have now turned our attention to our guest rooms and suites.

I am glad that you found the Concierge service to your satisfaction. It is a great team that is always looking to make our guests feel good and I am glad they had a positive effect on your stay.

I have passed on your comments to the Housekeeping Manager for follow up. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Reviewed 30 August 2014

The location is great: many restaurants nearby, a lively 'street scene' and best of all a short walk to the fabulous Queensland Art Gallery and the Modern Art Gallery, as well as the Science Museum and a landing stage for the river catamarans. The hotel is fine, the rooms comfortable and quiet and many are spacious. It would help if there was some explanation about the light switches, since it took some time to work it out. Breakfast - oh dear! Twice we had to wait for a long time (once 20 minutes) for our tea and coffee. That was not because we came at a busy time, but because it turns out that the waiter who takes your order for coffee has to enter it on a computer and then someone in the kitchen has to make it and someone else has to bring it to the table. The mangers need to sort this out. Apart from that, a nice hotel.

Room Tip: The floor plan shows that the rooms are almost all the same width but are of different lengths. Ours...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear ADSOxford,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback from your stay.

The hotel occupies a great location in the Brisbane CBD district, close to many great boutique stores, restaurants and entertainment areas. The Southbank area itself is a great place to walk, relax and see the sights the city has to offer.

I apologise for the lack of information regarding the in-room lighting. We do operate a key-card system where a room key is required to be inserted into a power socket to activate the electricity in the entire room. I hope we were able to assist you in this matter.

Regarding your breakfast, I will provide your feedback to the restaurant manager so that he can action any areas of concern regarding our breakfast service.

We hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel soon.