“great family getaway”

Rydges South Bank Brisbane
Ranked #35 of 168 Hotels in Brisbane
Reviewed 16 February 2010

This hotel completely suited our needs. We were so close to everything it was great. Especially with a 4 and 9 year old. They loved going to Southbank every morning for a swim and then back to the hotel for a great breakfast. Great having the trains so close too, we were able to go to Dreamworld for the day and not worry about anything. Would def be picking Rydges Southbank again. Loved it.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank corny4
FOM-RydgesSB, Front Office Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2010

Many thanks for the review ‘corny4.’

Thank you for review; I’m glad you and your family were able to enjoy the surrounding wonder which is the South Bank Precinct of Brisbane. We are definitely lucky to be situated within close proximity to the city, tourist attractions, eateries and ofcourse public transport facilities.

Thanks again for reviewing your stay; we look forward to accommodating you and your family again in the future.

Reviewed 15 February 2010

One of the best standards of service I have come across. All staff were exceptionally polite, helpful and courteous. Would definately stay here again when next travelling to Brisbane

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Wanderer2010Sydney
FOM-RydgesSB, Front Office Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2010

Dear ‘Wanderer2010Sydney.’

Thank you for the rating and hotel review; I’m glad to hear of the exceptional service mentioned by our team. We all pride ourselves not only in providing a great product, for our guests to enjoy, but also ensuring that the overall experience is memorable as it is the memories that people take home with them.

Many thanks again; we look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges South Bank Brisbane in the future.

Reviewed 15 February 2010

We decided to visit Brisbane as tourists rather than stay with family. We chose Rydes South Bank for location and due to the reviews here. As we travel with a small child we like Hotels that offer seperate lounges so we can have privacy and the extra room. We booked over the internet and got a rate that included breakfast, valet parking and a late check out. Our King Suite, was at the back of the Hotel and therefore close to the railway lines we rang reception to explain I am a light sleeper and was concerned about the train noise at night, they quickly offered us a room at the front of the hotel which we took. I appreciate staff that are happy to address my concerns with no fuss. Our bags were already awaiting us at the new room. The bedroom was a good size, the lounge area very large, the only thing letting it down was the small bathroom...but you don't spend your holiday in there too much...I would have loved a bigger/deeper bath, but can't have everything. Having two flat screen tvs is necessary with a 6 year old. We loved the location as we only intended to do Southbank activites and enjoyed walking to the museum, and Southbank beach area every day. We did use room service and yes it was a little expensive for what we ordered for our 6 year old (a peanut butter sandwich).....but it was just easy to order for her, she is a fussy eater.
We wanted to dine at the seafood buffet on Saturday but it was booked out due to Valentine's Day being the following Sunday. So we unfortunately opted to go to the CBD downstairs instead. Its was basically expensive pub food of average standard.
Buffet breakfast was great, and on Valentines Day every lady received a rose and we had champayne. We found all staff members to be very professional and couldn't fault their service and that to us is important......after all a room is just a room at the end of the day...its the staff who usually make or break your holiday experience. Would stay again if we ever decide to do the tourist thing again.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank fussymum

Dear ‘fussymum.’

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel and your experience; it’s pleasant to hear about your stay. We take great pride in our hotel, product, service and standards; overall it appears this mind-set seemed to be present throughout your stay.

I apologise that you missed out on the Seafood Buffet experience, however I am glad you were able to experience the Buffet Breakfast offered on the 14th. Your sentiments regarding CBD café & bar have been circulated to the respective managers for review.

Many thanks again for the review; the team & I look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges South Bank Brisbane in the future.

Reviewed 14 February 2010

I stayed just one night for a quick weekend trip to Brisbane. I picked Rydges after seeing a very cheap deal from Travelzoo for a superior Queen room which was bog-standard 4 star quality - i.e. clean, reasonable size, well maintained but not going to win any design awards with its decor and plastic bench tops. The Southbank location is fairly convenient for things like the Museum and the new Gallery of Modern Art and is a 15 minute stroll into the CBD. Obviously Southbank attractions hold plenty of appeal for families with kids.

Positive points:

+ Being told a room was already available to check in early (around 10:30am).
+ Rooms with balconies.
+ Comfy beds with 2 types of pillow on the bed.
+ Hoeskeeping and maintenance.
+ Concierge happy to help with directions, flight online checkin, taxis etc.
+ CBD skyline view, even though I was on a low floor.
+ Reasonable minibar and room service prices.

Ambivalent points.

+/- CBD bar and cafe. Marketed as a sophisticated, pleasant place to meet and eat. In reality a fairly souless space with sport playing on TV monitors and ordinary service.
+/- Very young girl on reception who was very friendly and got the job done, but needs a bit more polish and experience. (I think all young front line hospitality staff in decent hotels and restaurants need to be shouted a night at a high-end hotel and restaurant to see how true professionals do it).
+/- Slow lifts
+/- No pool.

Negative points:

None.

I'd happily stay again if I had to go back to Brisbane and was looking for 4 star hotel.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank SydneyStephen

Dear ‘SydneyStephen.’

Thank you for reviewing the hotel; I’m glad you got to experience the great value represented in that particular promotion. I agree the location is very convenient to the South Bank Precinct, allowing our guests to experience Brisbane’s Cultural offerings within a brief walk.

Thank you for listing the details of your stay you were happy with and also for dually noting those that could do with a little polish; constructive notes are definitely welcome as we pride ourselves on providing a great overall experience.

Thanks again for the review; we look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges South Bank Brisbane in the future.

Reviewed 14 February 2010

I stayed at Rydges South Bank for 5 nights in September 2009 while attending a conference next door in the Convention Centre.

The public areas are sleek and streamlined in keeping with the whole South Bank ambience.

I had a King Suite which was very comfortable and offered great views of the river and city skyline. The bathroom could have been a little roomier but not a major drawback in the overall scheme of things. Housekeeping was very efficient and the Suite was scrupulously maintained.

I realised that I'd left my laptop in the cab that brought me from the airport shortly after I got to my room and the concierge and front desk staff were very helpful in contacting the cab company and ensuring that I had it returned within the hour. In fact, all staff I encountered were unfailingly polite, friendly and professional and the hotel was incredibly busy throughout my stay.

Good, efficient self-help laundry on-site which I think is essential for stays of more than 2 or 3 days.

I didn't eat in the hotel. I went to breakfast on my first morning but found the self-help arrangements a little confusing - were you supposed to cook your own eggs? It's not a criticism of he hotel - I'm sure it's much more about me. I'm not up to building DIY meals before 9.00am. Give me a good old, 'save the hassle,' all-the-options, self-selection smorgasbord. However, there are lots of great brekkie/dinner eating options in the South Bank complex along the river, opposite the hotel. We did gather in the CBD Bar after conference sessions and it was very pleasant.

Overall, very impressed and can thoroughly recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank GeoffHSydney

Dear ‘GeoffHSydney.’

Thank you for reviewing the hotel; it’s great to hear of your overall positive experience at Rydges South Bank Brisbane. Guest experience and satisfaction is sincerely a facet of the business that we all take pride in; it’s a pleasure to hear this underlying message was present during your stay.

I’m sorry that you didn’t get to experience the egg chef’s cooking expertise at breakfast; they must have been away from their station at that time.

Thanks again for the review & the rating; we look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges South Bank Brisbane in the future.

Reviewed 7 February 2010

I only stayed one night for business in January. All staff were very welcoming and professional. Location is great with lots of restaurants and good breakfast spots nearby.
Only problem was the hallway was very noisy with a staff door opposite my room and workmen talking outside of it at 6am. An issue with a credit card charge after my stay was very quickly rectified. The staff here are very well trained and appear very happy to be working at Rydges.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank bradletn
Callum_Kennedy, Executive Assistant Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2010

Dear “bradletn”

Thank you for your recent review.

Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused by the workman talking outside your room at 6.00am, I have discussed this with the Maintenance Manager and believe that it was a one off occurrence.

I am glad that the team took care of you on checkout and your comments on the staff are duly noted.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel sometime.

Kind regards

Callum Kennedy
Executive Assistant Manager

Reviewed 5 February 2010

We stayed at the Rydes South Bank recently as we had an engagement party to attend in town. We only stayed one night, but could have easily stayed more. Great location just accross the road from the parklands. Was able to go across in the morning and check out the markets.

We had a King Suite which was huge. Nice big comfy bed and lounge area. Only thing was the the bathroom was a bit on the small side.

Would I stay again, yes.

Beerwalk :)

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Beerwalk

Thanks for the feedback “beerwalk”

Glad that you enjoyed your stay; the Rydges Dream Beds are great!

Next time if you are looking for a longer break, please do not hesitate to contact me direct at the hotel.

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back.

Kind regards