“A Truly five star experience - We've stayed three times and are planning a return!”

Rydges South Bank Brisbane
Ranked #33 of 160 Hotels in Brisbane
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 February 2010

I can not speak highly enough of our experiences at South Bank Rydges - my family and I have stayed on three seperate occaisions and thouroughly enjoyed each and every one. We were there for two new years; new year 2009 and new year 2010, as well as for the riverfire festival. Three wonderful experiences in an exemplary hotel.

On all three occaisions that I have stayed at the hotel, the focus has been watching fireworks on the Brisbane river for New Years celebrations and the Riverfire festival. We have stayed with close and extended family in large groups. The hotel is perfectly designed for this kind of weekend getaway.

On arrival our cars were taken by helpful valets; On one occasion over new year 2009 (our first time staying at the hotel) we had one problem where one of the cars had been mislabeled for another room. But this was quickly resolved and has not happened again. Concierge although busy were very helpful and checked us in efficiently. We were not priority guests but were staying with young children and found that we were quickly taken aside so that we could get the children settled in. This was something that we found in every area of the hotel; so often when staying in high quality resorts with very young children you are snubbed and left waiting for long periods of time allowing the children to become crabby and difficult. Staff at the Rydges clearly understand this and met our needs to an excellent standard.

The rooms are both modern and stylish, absolutely spotless. The views in the rooms we chose to stay in had fantastic views - the perfect place to watch fireworks from. Bell boys are very helpful with bags and polite. We did order room service and found that although waiting for a while (this was expected over special holiday weekends) food was never cold when it arrived and always good quality. We had very comfortable beds, the sofa bed for the children was perfectly adequate. A lovely balcony from which to watch the fireworks, but I would suggest that young children are not to be left alone out there. The railings are perfectly stable and safe but not as high as you might imagine when you're 11 floors up. Just something to watch out for. A stunningly unobstructed view.

The restaurant on the boulevard is stunning - the seafood buffet is to die for, the food is wonderful. You couldn't ask for better. Again, the staff are extremely helpful and so good with the children, even when they are acting up. This was a huge selling point for us. Cocktails take a while but are worth the wait! Buffet breakfast is more of the same - amazing food, wonderfully done to a high standard. One of the highlights. Again, this was a big bonus for us. One of the best hotel breakfasts I've ever had.

Another bonus when you're staying there over new years is the tennis. The Brisbane International tournament which is the precursor of the Australian Open in Melbourne is held very close to hotel. You know that a place is good when you have top international and domestic tennis stars staying at the same hotel. It was exciting to be seeing these high class tennis players! Over Riverfire we also say some of the Australian Netball team staying there, easily recognisable from their uniforms which they wore to breakfast. The kids were thrilled to be seeing these sporting celebrities in real life.

Overall I can't say enough good things about our experiences and would reccomend it to everyone - everytime has been a wonderful experience and I hope that we will be able to stay there again in the future!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Meggerz0203
FOM-RydgesSB, Front Office Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this review, 25 February 2010
Dear ‘Meggez0203.’

Thank you so much for your review. It’s fantastic to hear of the enjoyment & memories that you have been able to share with us over your last few stays. The timings of your stays have coincided with major events in the city and precinct and it is a pleasure to read how our planning and execution have resulted in a positive stay across the board.

Thank you again for telling of your experiences, we look forward to welcoming you back in the future, perhaps Riverfire 2010 (4th September) and NYE 2010.

Scott Levey – Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (668)
  • Indonesian first
Australia
Reviewed 16 February 2010

I nearly always stay at Rydges Southbank when I vist Brisbane, as it has a fantastic location. Easy access from the airport with the train station dwon the road, nice to walk across the bridge into the city or take the citycat, great restaurants nearby and a lovely parkland to walk in. The staff at Rydges have always been excellent, they are real people with a sense of humour and commitment to excellence and nothing is ever too much trouble, unlike some hotels that give the impression of being put out when you ask for something. This is a service industry after all and the folks at Rydges Southbank know what that means.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Rufus007
Dear ‘Rufus007.’

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. It’s nice to hear of your continued custom, I think I speak on behalf on the team that customer service is something that we all pride ourselves in, and it is great to hear that this is being delivered to our valued clients. I too think the location of the hotel is great, as you mention being located next to so much core infrastructure make our destination desirable to all types of guests staying for all types of reasons.

Thanks again for the review; I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

queensland
Reviewed 16 February 2010

This hotel completely suited our needs. We were so close to everything it was great. Especially with a 4 and 9 year old. They loved going to Southbank every morning for a swim and then back to the hotel for a great breakfast. Great having the trains so close too, we were able to go to Dreamworld for the day and not worry about anything. Would def be picking Rydges Southbank again. Loved it.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank corny4
Many thanks for the review ‘corny4.’

Thank you for review; I’m glad you and your family were able to enjoy the surrounding wonder which is the South Bank Precinct of Brisbane. We are definitely lucky to be situated within close proximity to the city, tourist attractions, eateries and ofcourse public transport facilities.

Thanks again for reviewing your stay; we look forward to accommodating you and your family again in the future.

Sydney
Reviewed 15 February 2010

One of the best standards of service I have come across. All staff were exceptionally polite, helpful and courteous. Would definately stay here again when next travelling to Brisbane

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Wanderer2010Sydney
FOM-RydgesSB, Front Office Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this review, 23 February 2010
Dear ‘Wanderer2010Sydney.’

Thank you for the rating and hotel review; I’m glad to hear of the exceptional service mentioned by our team. We all pride ourselves not only in providing a great product, for our guests to enjoy, but also ensuring that the overall experience is memorable as it is the memories that people take home with them.

Many thanks again; we look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges South Bank Brisbane in the future.

Bundaberg, Australia
Reviewed 15 February 2010

We decided to visit Brisbane as tourists rather than stay with family. We chose Rydes South Bank for location and due to the reviews here. As we travel with a small child we like Hotels that offer seperate lounges so we can have privacy and the extra room. We booked over the internet and got a rate that included breakfast, valet parking and a late check out. Our King Suite, was at the back of the Hotel and therefore close to the railway lines we rang reception to explain I am a light sleeper and was concerned about the train noise at night, they quickly offered us a room at the front of the hotel which we took. I appreciate staff that are happy to address my concerns with no fuss. Our bags were already awaiting us at the new room. The bedroom was a good size, the lounge area very large, the only thing letting it down was the small bathroom...but you don't spend your holiday in there too much...I would have loved a bigger/deeper bath, but can't have everything. Having two flat screen tvs is necessary with a 6 year old. We loved the location as we only intended to do Southbank activites and enjoyed walking to the museum, and Southbank beach area every day. We did use room service and yes it was a little expensive for what we ordered for our 6 year old (a peanut butter sandwich).....but it was just easy to order for her, she is a fussy eater.
We wanted to dine at the seafood buffet on Saturday but it was booked out due to Valentine's Day being the following Sunday. So we unfortunately opted to go to the CBD downstairs instead. Its was basically expensive pub food of average standard.
Buffet breakfast was great, and on Valentines Day every lady received a rose and we had champayne. We found all staff members to be very professional and couldn't fault their service and that to us is important......after all a room is just a room at the end of the day...its the staff who usually make or break your holiday experience. Would stay again if we ever decide to do the tourist thing again.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank fussymum
Dear ‘fussymum.’

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel and your experience; it’s pleasant to hear about your stay. We take great pride in our hotel, product, service and standards; overall it appears this mind-set seemed to be present throughout your stay.

I apologise that you missed out on the Seafood Buffet experience, however I am glad you were able to experience the Buffet Breakfast offered on the 14th. Your sentiments regarding CBD café & bar have been circulated to the respective managers for review.

Many thanks again for the review; the team & I look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges South Bank Brisbane in the future.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 14 February 2010

I stayed just one night for a quick weekend trip to Brisbane. I picked Rydges after seeing a very cheap deal from Travelzoo for a superior Queen room which was bog-standard 4 star quality - i.e. clean, reasonable size, well maintained but not going to win any design awards with its decor and plastic bench tops. The Southbank location is fairly convenient for things like the Museum and the new Gallery of Modern Art and is a 15 minute stroll into the CBD. Obviously Southbank attractions hold plenty of appeal for families with kids.

Positive points:

+ Being told a room was already available to check in early (around 10:30am).
+ Rooms with balconies.
+ Comfy beds with 2 types of pillow on the bed.
+ Hoeskeeping and maintenance.
+ Concierge happy to help with directions, flight online checkin, taxis etc.
+ CBD skyline view, even though I was on a low floor.
+ Reasonable minibar and room service prices.

Ambivalent points.

+/- CBD bar and cafe. Marketed as a sophisticated, pleasant place to meet and eat. In reality a fairly souless space with sport playing on TV monitors and ordinary service.
+/- Very young girl on reception who was very friendly and got the job done, but needs a bit more polish and experience. (I think all young front line hospitality staff in decent hotels and restaurants need to be shouted a night at a high-end hotel and restaurant to see how true professionals do it).
+/- Slow lifts
+/- No pool.

Negative points:

None.

I'd happily stay again if I had to go back to Brisbane and was looking for 4 star hotel.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank SydneyStephen
Dear ‘SydneyStephen.’

Thank you for reviewing the hotel; I’m glad you got to experience the great value represented in that particular promotion. I agree the location is very convenient to the South Bank Precinct, allowing our guests to experience Brisbane’s Cultural offerings within a brief walk.

Thank you for listing the details of your stay you were happy with and also for dually noting those that could do with a little polish; constructive notes are definitely welcome as we pride ourselves on providing a great overall experience.

Thanks again for the review; we look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges South Bank Brisbane in the future.

Sydney
Reviewed 14 February 2010

I stayed at Rydges South Bank for 5 nights in September 2009 while attending a conference next door in the Convention Centre.

The public areas are sleek and streamlined in keeping with the whole South Bank ambience.

I had a King Suite which was very comfortable and offered great views of the river and city skyline. The bathroom could have been a little roomier but not a major drawback in the overall scheme of things. Housekeeping was very efficient and the Suite was scrupulously maintained.

I realised that I'd left my laptop in the cab that brought me from the airport shortly after I got to my room and the concierge and front desk staff were very helpful in contacting the cab company and ensuring that I had it returned within the hour. In fact, all staff I encountered were unfailingly polite, friendly and professional and the hotel was incredibly busy throughout my stay.

Good, efficient self-help laundry on-site which I think is essential for stays of more than 2 or 3 days.

I didn't eat in the hotel. I went to breakfast on my first morning but found the self-help arrangements a little confusing - were you supposed to cook your own eggs? It's not a criticism of he hotel - I'm sure it's much more about me. I'm not up to building DIY meals before 9.00am. Give me a good old, 'save the hassle,' all-the-options, self-selection smorgasbord. However, there are lots of great brekkie/dinner eating options in the South Bank complex along the river, opposite the hotel. We did gather in the CBD Bar after conference sessions and it was very pleasant.

Overall, very impressed and can thoroughly recommend it.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank GeoffHSydney
Dear ‘GeoffHSydney.’

Thank you for reviewing the hotel; it’s great to hear of your overall positive experience at Rydges South Bank Brisbane. Guest experience and satisfaction is sincerely a facet of the business that we all take pride in; it’s a pleasure to hear this underlying message was present during your stay.

I’m sorry that you didn’t get to experience the egg chef’s cooking expertise at breakfast; they must have been away from their station at that time.

Thanks again for the review & the rating; we look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges South Bank Brisbane in the future.