I can not speak highly enough of our experiences at South Bank Rydges - my family and I have stayed on three seperate occaisions and thouroughly enjoyed each and every one. We were there for two new years; new year 2009 and new year 2010, as well as for the riverfire festival. Three wonderful experiences in an exemplary hotel.
On all three occaisions that I have stayed at the hotel, the focus has been watching fireworks on the Brisbane river for New Years celebrations and the Riverfire festival. We have stayed with close and extended family in large groups. The hotel is perfectly designed for this kind of weekend getaway.
On arrival our cars were taken by helpful valets; On one occasion over new year 2009 (our first time staying at the hotel) we had one problem where one of the cars had been mislabeled for another room. But this was quickly resolved and has not happened again. Concierge although busy were very helpful and checked us in efficiently. We were not priority guests but were staying with young children and found that we were quickly taken aside so that we could get the children settled in. This was something that we found in every area of the hotel; so often when staying in high quality resorts with very young children you are snubbed and left waiting for long periods of time allowing the children to become crabby and difficult. Staff at the Rydges clearly understand this and met our needs to an excellent standard.
The rooms are both modern and stylish, absolutely spotless. The views in the rooms we chose to stay in had fantastic views - the perfect place to watch fireworks from. Bell boys are very helpful with bags and polite. We did order room service and found that although waiting for a while (this was expected over special holiday weekends) food was never cold when it arrived and always good quality. We had very comfortable beds, the sofa bed for the children was perfectly adequate. A lovely balcony from which to watch the fireworks, but I would suggest that young children are not to be left alone out there. The railings are perfectly stable and safe but not as high as you might imagine when you're 11 floors up. Just something to watch out for. A stunningly unobstructed view.
The restaurant on the boulevard is stunning - the seafood buffet is to die for, the food is wonderful. You couldn't ask for better. Again, the staff are extremely helpful and so good with the children, even when they are acting up. This was a huge selling point for us. Cocktails take a while but are worth the wait! Buffet breakfast is more of the same - amazing food, wonderfully done to a high standard. One of the highlights. Again, this was a big bonus for us. One of the best hotel breakfasts I've ever had.
Another bonus when you're staying there over new years is the tennis. The Brisbane International tournament which is the precursor of the Australian Open in Melbourne is held very close to hotel. You know that a place is good when you have top international and domestic tennis stars staying at the same hotel. It was exciting to be seeing these high class tennis players! Over Riverfire we also say some of the Australian Netball team staying there, easily recognisable from their uniforms which they wore to breakfast. The kids were thrilled to be seeing these sporting celebrities in real life.
Overall I can't say enough good things about our experiences and would reccomend it to everyone - everytime has been a wonderful experience and I hope that we will be able to stay there again in the future!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Rydges South Bank is situated in Brisbane’s most enviable location, the South Bank arts and entertainment precinct. The hotel adjoins with the Brisbane Convention Centre via a walkway, it is only a few minutes walk to the Queensland Performing Arts Centre, the Queensland Museum, State Library of Queensland and the new magnificent Gallery of Modern Art. Downtown Brisbane, Treasury Casino and the Queen Street Mall are an easy 10 minute stroll away. With Bacchus South Bank & CBD Cafe, Bar and Dining both located at Rydges you don't need to go far for a fantastic food and beverage selection. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, LateRooms, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Rydges South Bank Brisbane reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rydges South Bank Brisbane Hotel Brisbane
- Rydges South Bank Hotel Brisbane
- Brisbane Rydges South Bank