“Great hotel , great breakfast , perfect location”

Rydges South Bank Brisbane
Ranked #37 of 157 Hotels in Brisbane
Nrth NSW
“Great hotel , great breakfast , perfect location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2010

Just returned from a 2 night stay at Rydges . Booked on their website and got a great Easter deal that included buffet breakfast , valet parking a late check out till 1.00pm. We had a Deluxe Twin River View room which was perfect for 2 adults and 2 kids ( 5 and 8 ) .
The room was large and had two double beds , a small kitchenette area , table and 2 chairs plus a lounge and desk ! We had a decent size balcony with views over the River and into the city. The bathroom wasnt flash but clean and functional , if a little small.

Had a " welcome back " drink and some wedges at the CBD bar on ground level and had the buffet breakfast both mornings. The 1st morning there was a wedding party in and the place was packed ! Had to wait 10 minutes for a table , which was annoying with 2 young hungry kids , but once we settled in for breakfast the food made up for it !

Great buffet with all fruits , smoked salmon , museli etc . The normal yummy hot food and on the 2nd bfast a chef to make your eggs how you like them ! A pancake maker ( which the girls loved ! ) and other pastries galore. Really yummy !!
The Rydges is in a great location for exploring all that Southbank has to offer. Just a few minutes walk to the Musuem , Scientcentre and Art gallery in one direction and Streets Beach and the fantastic water park in the other direction. Heaps of cafes and great restaurants on Little Stanley st close by too.
We had a lovely time and the hotel was perfect for us. The staff were helpful and friendly and even though we had late check out , they still kept our car and luggage so the girls could have one more play at the water park !!
Thanks Rydges ! See you next year !!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Suzy7215
Callum_Kennedy, Executive Assistant Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this review, 13 April 2010
Thanks for the fantastic review”Suzy7215”

Glad the family had a great time at the hotel and that you enjoyed breakfast so much; the pancake machine is great, a real winner with the kids!

South Bank has so much to offer and is constantly developing its facilities so I look forward to welcoming you back next year.

Many thanks

Executive Assistant Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (637)
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2010

My mother and I stayed one night recently as a comped night after a bit of a disastrous stay 18 months ago. The hotel has totally redeemed itself in our eyes! They accommodated my request for early check in and i was able to spend the most part of the day relaxing in the room. The woman that checked me in was fantastic and beyond courteous. The location is fantastic and such a great place to base yourself while in Brisbane. We ate dinner and breakfast in the cafe downstairs and that was great as well. The beds are remarkably comfortable and the rooms really are very spacious. The balconies have wonderful views and are a great addition to the room. We will return when in Brisbane!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Mary L

It was pleasing to read that you gave us the opportunity to redeem ourselves from your unsatisfactory stay 18 months ago and more importantly you had a positive experience.

The views are stunning, especially at night, I don’t think there are better views in Brisbane!

It was great to read that you enjoyed our CBD café and bar especially as we have only recently opened it for breakfast; giving our guests a further option for that early morning meal.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in future.

Yours sincerely

Queensland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2010

This is a great place to book for a weekend getaway. Close to the theatre and as it is right at Southbank, enjoy a leisurely stroll through the Sunday Markets. The view at night across the river and of the big wheel is just lovely.

Staff are fantastic and make everyone feel most welcome, I had mentioned how much I loved the amazing natural organic bathroom products and they arranged for some for me to take home. That was such a nice touch.

• Stayed January 2010
2 Thank ozcc
Dear “ozcc”

Thank you for the kind review.

The markets are truly great and I am pleased you had the pleasure of experiencing them.

The hotel uses the Sanctum range of organic bathroom products throughout the hotel as well as Rydges Hotels & Resorts throughout Australia; a great quality product.

Your comments regarding the staff are really appreciated, so thank you.

Kind regards

Brisbane
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2010

My partner and I stayed at the Rydges as an anniversary present from a good friend. We had a great time and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The staff went above and beyond with their service and even surprised us with a welcome platter with champaign and chocolates upon arrival to signify our special event. Apart from the service and amenities our highlight of the trip was the comfort of their dream beds and latex pillows, we literally had to go out and buy a new bed when we got home as we'd forgotten what a good nights sleep was :)

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank anitabonita99
Thanks for the great review “anitabonita99 “

Your comments regarding the team are greatly appreciated.

“Rydges Dream Beds” are fantastic and hope that your new bed is just as good!

I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Kind regards

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2010

Spent 1 night here last month after an unexpected incident and Rydges were the only hotel to have a room left! We were lucky enough to stay in one of the suites which was amazing, very spacious and with a lovely view over to the river.
The location of the hotel is very good, close to the river and a short walk over the bridge into the city centre.
Staff were fabulous, all very helpful and made a stressful night into a very pleasant one.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank MKblack1182
FOM-RydgesSB, Front Office Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this review, 8 March 2010
Dear ‘emmylou14,’

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. It’s great to hear of your memorable experiences with our staff, your room and of course the local precinct. Brisbane does indeed have a few days every year where the whole city fills up; I’m glad we were able to accommodate you accordingly.

Thanks again for the review; we look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges South Bank Brisbane in the future.

Brisbane
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2010

I stayed at Rydges South Bank Brisbane with a friend on the weekend. It was the second time I've stayed in this hotel, I also stayed there last year with my partner.

The first time I stayed last year I booked under the city lights package with my partner for a romantic night away. We were greeted by a lovely staff member, there was a little confusion about our booking at first but it got cleared up very quickly by me presenting a copy of the receipt I'd printed off along with the package inclusions. The staff member seemed relunctant to give any of it to us, however as soon as what I assume was the senior staff member came over the problem disappeared and we were given an apology and all of our package inclusions. Despite the initial confusion, we went up to our room on a high note from their friendly demeanor and quick resolution of the problem.

Our room was amazing. It was a suite with a seperate lounge, balcony, bathroom and bedroom. There was a flat screen tv in both the bedroom and the lounge area. You could open the doors onto the balcony and let the breeze drift through, it was beautiful. The bathroom was impeccable, the toiletries provided smelled fruity and wonderful. And on our little table was a card addressed to me from the duty manager welcoming us to the hotel, thanking us for staying and providing us with her extension number should we need anything. I was blown away by this simple, yet personal touch.

As per our package (wine on arrival) within ten minutes of checking in a bottle of Killawarra wine was delivered to our suite with two wine glasses with strawberries in them. Generally I've found "on arrival" in most hotels to be whenever they feel like it, but at Rydges it really was ON arrival. I wish other hotels would take a lesson from Rydges on this.

Breakfast was also included in our package so the next morning we went down to a small, yet beautiful buffet breakfast. While I do say small, everything you need is there. Cereal, hot food like sausages and eggs, pastries (so yum) juice, tea, coffee, fresh fruit, even salmon. I can't recommend getting the breakfast there enough.

The second time I stayed with my friend I booked under the same package but with two double beds. I was surprised by how much nicer my previous room had been. The room was clean but the furnishings were all a little dated and worn, the bath was marked, the couch was just placed next to the beds as if this single thing made it a suite and sadly no welcome card which was the personal detail I'd loved so much.

The staff were lovely as usual, breakfast was once again of an impeccable standard, the wine included in our package was once again delivered to the room within ten minutes of checking in, but I found it hard to get over the quality of the room compared to the last one I'd stayed in. Having said that, it was still a lovely room, but just not as nice.

The elevators are old and slow, we actually got into a situation where we had to line up and wait to use the elevator. But the atmosphere was pretty jovial so it wasn't a down point to me. The hallways are also pretty dated and could benefit from fresh flowers and a new coat of paint I think.

*Quick pros-
Staff are accommodating and friendly, wonderful location right in South Bank;quick access to Street's Beach and a short pretty stroll across the bridge into the CBD, breakfast is amazing, beds are comfortable, microwave in room, Like most hotels in the CBD it is completly non-smoking even on your balcony (listing as both pro and con as my son is an asthmatic it is great for me, but my friend was a smoker and it was a little irratating for her)

*Quick cons-
Noise from the Queensland Conservatorium (much more obvious with the doors open) not too bad but there is a constant humming; I actually find it relaxing hehe, disparity between rooms of same value (ask for a good one!) hotel bar is a bit bland, no pool (but who cares?! Street's beach is just a hop and skip away!) Like most hotels in the CBD it is completly non-smoking even on your balcony

Advice on booking to make your stay more special- I can't recommend the City Lights package more, it includes buffet breakfast, late checkout of 1pm, valet parking, bottle of wine on arrival and a newspaper, but most importantly guarantees you a river/city view. Also join Rydges Priority before you go, it's free, you can join online and has quite a few benefits including discounts on food and a welcome back beverage. If you book under a package just do a quick print out of the package inclusions so if you have a staff member (like we did) who is new or a little confused you have something to show them, even if it just inspires them to call over the duty manager who will definately know what's going on. Go to Street's Beach, it's free, close-by and has life guards during peak hours.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Bubblii
Dear ‘Bubblii,’

Thank you for reviewing your experiences at the hotel so thoroughly!

I’m ecstatic to hear of the memorable experiences you enjoyed with us. The suites, our top end room, definitely are spacious and those with views definitely provide an ideal outlook at any time of day or night; the recommendation for booking a guaranteed view package I would definitely second. The buffet breakfast indeed is enviable; we provide our selections in small quantities to ensure the utmost in freshness.

The second stay, without having details, sounds as if it were reserved in a deluxe twin room as apposed to a suite; typically we recommend this type of room to two adults sharing and requiring separate bedding. We did experience technical difficulties with one of our lifts recently; thankfully the issue has been attended to via our service team; whilst I apologise for any delays, I’m glad that everyone seemed to see the lighter side of the situation.

Many thanks again for the review; we look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges South Bank Brisbane in the future.

Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2010

I stayed here with my husband and daughter and we LOVED the experience. The staff were friendly personable and helpful, the rooms were spacious and spotlessly clean. We enjoyed one of the riverside rooms -great size with 2 double beds, writing desk, couch and a sink with microwave which came in very handy. We enjoyed our stay here so much we will not stay anywhere else now. Walking distance to Brisbane Mall and right across the road from Southbank precinct. All at a great price directly from their website.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank lollysmum
FOM-RydgesSB, Front Office Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this review, 28 February 2010
Dear ‘lollysmum.’

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. I’m glad you enjoyed the stay, the rooms fit-out, the local precinct and the convenience of the location. It’s especially pleasing to hear that you were able to enjoy the stay with your family; memorable experiences are often hard to come by and it is always great to have them with your loved ones.