“Be careful you aren't too cool for school”
Review of Public

Public
Ranked #26 of 4,818 Restaurants in Brisbane
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Did not intend to have a huge night out as really just looking for a quick meal when we fortuitously
found Public... up the escalator to have a look as I had heard about it and was interested to see th menu. First glance and we were hooked. May we have a table for two? (It was only 6.30pm)... After some hesitation and checking of reservations, we were escorted to a banquette at the back of the restaurant. Great waiter, food and winelist - innovative food, very clever yet still excellent quality and not too over the top. Very much enjoyed our meal and the experience except every new table was seated right next to us (yes next to me on the banquette) - how about giving us all some personal space? The whole restaurant was available!
However we were enjoying ourselves with great food and wine so much we finished up at the bar. Note that by this time the restaurant was still only 25% seated.Gee, lucky they squeezed us in... reluctantly.... Come on guys, you aren't that cool that walk ins can be turned away? Tried chatting to barman who announced he was a winemaker. So is my husband but when we tried to engage him he suddenly was very busy polishing glasses and avoided us and our questions. Very odd.
So, would recommend for food and our lovely waiter but careful of the attitude - it is only food and wine and we wouldn't order unless we can afford it and appreciate it so drop the superciliousness....

1  Thank stephanie h

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Public exudes “cool” and “trendy” at every opportunity. Its menu and dining style defies the conventional; the setting and venue has an air of unapologetic disdain for the ordinary. This can either really work or be taken to the next level where the restaurant takes itself way too seriously. In the case of Public, it mostly works. Emphasis on mostly. Here (again) we hit the limit of TripAdvisor integer scoring as I’d like to give public a 4.5, but have had to go with 4. Originally I was rounding this up to 5, but a few elements during the night pushed it under 4.5, so I’ve rounded down. To explain – the food is great. Really clever and fun. My partner and I loved the salmon and black ants, thought the much lauded KFD was a big hit and couldn’t get enough of the brisket. The service was okay but inconsistent. Our main waiter was polite but fairly uninterested – very much “I’m too sexy for my cat”. Yet another waiter, who brought out the salmon and ants, was really enthusiastic and obviously very proud of the restaurant and the food. I wish he’d been our primary server. The pace of service could be greatly improved. It took a long time to order and receive drinks and there were considerable gaps between dishes arriving. For the style (small dishes) of food, this seemed a bit odd. The big let-down for me was the dessert. I had the trifle which sounded great. Unfortunately, it was impregnated with sago, which I think is something you need fair warning of as you either love it or hate it – just a minor thing. I tasted my partner’s dessert and it was okay but not fantastic. I’d go back – especially if I was with a group of friends, but just be aware that the cement floors create a soundshell effect so it is pretty noisy and conversations tend to travel over the space so privacy isn’t a given.

1  Thank KierenX
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Ambiance of Public was good, staff excellent but sharing options makes it an expensive place to eat. Food ok but bill grows quickly for the amount of food offered. Wagu steak was not great but lamb great. Has it's niche but don't like a rip off. Be forewarned ...don't go there hungry.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Celebrated my birthday here with my cousin.....and what a wonderful celebration it was. we enjoyed a wonderful selection of yummy food including the "Can of Worms" which was literally a can of worms and they were a little strange but tasted great, would have been wonderful with a nice cold beer. Our other favourite dish was the texas brisket and the KFD....YUMMO!!!! would definitely go back and tell all my friends to go there.

1  Thank stephy152186
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

Fantastic night out celebrating a loved ones Birthday. The staff at Public went out of their way to make our night so special. The food was absolutely amazing. Coconut Curry was fabulous, brisket was so tender and tasty, the KFD was delicious and the scallops & salmon dishes were sensational. The only thing that let it down and this is only a tiny criticism is the slaw served with the KFD & brisket was quite bland. The drinks menu was extensive and cocktails were sublime. We will definitely be back.

1  Thank TravelBugs77