“Good stay overall”

Ranked #25 of 159 Hotels in Brisbane
Perth, Australia
“Good stay overall”
Reviewed 27 August 2012

We spent 6 nights at The Grand Chancellor Brisbane last week. Overall, it was a good experience and I would recommend the hotel to anyone staying in Brisbane.

Initial impressions were not great- the outer of the hotel looked dated; the lift didn’t seem to work with a swipe card and was painfully slow. However, once in the room it was a different story- nice decor, everything was clean, a sofa and good amenities.

The room service and restaurant food was absolutely faultless- there were many nights we ordered room service just because the quality of the food was often much better than eating out. Portions are generous, all the ingredients are well seasoned and everything tastes phenomenal! Would definitely recommend the restaurant, even if you are not staying at the hotel.

Also the level of service in this hotel is fantastic. From the check in staff to the cleaning staff to the room service staff, everyone clearly has very high levels of customer service. There was only ever one lady from room service who was rude on the phone. Otherwise we were always attended to very well.

Although I’ve read some negative comments in regards to location, it was ok for us as the exercise counteracted all the eating! Additionally, this hotel is no more than 10 mins from the city centre.

The only negatives are as listed below:
- Window- Why was there no window in our room that could be opened? Every day on our return, even when it was relatively cool outside the room was boiling hot, and we were unable to open a window. Very frustrating as we also had no balcony!
- Gym- I think it’s a HUGE stretch to call the room upstairs with no working equipment (literally- the only thing that worked was the treadmill) a ‘fitness centre’. I booked this hotel on the premise that the gym would be a few fully functional machines, and instead I had to pay a two week membership for an inner city gym. Very frustrating as I was only able to use a week of this membership and it was not cheap!
- Cleaning times- I found the cleaners were always around very early in the day. This was a bit annoying as I felt rushed in the morning for the whole week. I think it makes more sense for them to come around lunch time, as generally, nobody is in their rooms around lunch time.
- Bedding- We only noticed at the end, but our mattress had a spring popping out! Please replace some of your older mattresses- dangerous!

Room Tip: Make sure you have a window/balcony!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
hgcbrisbane, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Brisbane, responded to this review, 28 August 2012
Dear T R,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review and to inform us of your experience here at the hotel. Your feedback and comments are very valuable to us and help us to improve our product and service.

I was glad to learn that you enjoyed the location of the hotel, the generous portion sizes and flavoursome meals in our restaurant and room service, and the decor, cleanliness and amenities in the room. Thank you so much for your fantastic feedback regarding the level of customer service you received from all of the staff you encountered during your stay. I was pleased that you would recommend the hotel to anyone staying in Brisbane.

Please note that most of our guest rooms have balconies and normally we do try to allocate guests staying for longer periods to a room with a balcony for their comfort. I am sorry that you were not allocated a room with a balcony on your recent stay with us.

Thank you for your comments regarding the standard of the gym. We had the company that looks after our gym equipment inspect the equipment and they found that only one machine was faulty, the display was not working but the machine itself was operational. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience this caused you during your stay and I can assure you that the machines are all now fully operational.

The housekeeping staff are working throughout the day and will service rooms that have been vacated by the guests. There is no need to feel rushed to leave your room in the morning as you can come and go at your leisure and if this is of particular concern to you then simply place the 'Do Not Disturb' sign on the door and you will not be disturbed.

We are currently in the process of replacing the mattresses in the guest rooms so please be assured that the mattress will be replaced shortly.

We would be delighted to have you stay at the hotel again soon.

Peter Yared,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Townsville, Australia
Reviewed 25 August 2012

We went into this hotel and made arrangements to stay 2 nights as my husband was attending Hospital the following week. A week later when we came to check in we were told that the nights that we had asked for were not available as the girl who made our booking had made a mistake and put a different date on our booking sheet. We were told that they were booked out and would have to find alternate accommodation. They where not helpful at all. We had one night in this hotel and when we checked out they tried to charge us for alcohol. We told them we did not drink and that we never signed for this. If you stay here double check everything.

Room Tip: Ask to see rooms before checking in.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
hgcbrisbane, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Brisbane, responded to this review, 31 August 2012
Dear Anne5511,

Please accept my sincere apologies regarding the communication error with the dates of your booking and the inconvenience this caused you. Unfortunately, due to a communication error between yourself and the Reservations agent you placed your booking with, the incorrect dates were booked and these dates were stated on your written reservation confirmation. We issue this confirmation to guests to confirm the details of your booking and allow you to check the details are all correct.

Thank you for bringing to my attention that we incorrectly charged beverages to your room account, this was a charge error on our behalf and we fully refunded this charge before you checked out of the hotel. I have discussed this issue with our Restaurant Manager who will investigate this further to ensure this does not occur in future.

We would be delighted to have you stay at the hotel again.

Rockhampton, Australia
Reviewed 20 August 2012

This hotel was a little further away from the CBD than we would have liked, but they provided a great experience. We were offered an upgrade to a top-floor suite for an extra $30, we took advantage of the offer and our view was amazing. Reception staff were friendly and efficient. Although the exterior of the building looked a bit dated, the lobby and rooms were modern and clean.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kellie_bell
hgcbrisbane, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Brisbane, responded to this review, 21 August 2012
Dear kellie_bell,

Thank you so much for your lovely review! We really appreciate you taking the time to share your recent experience with us.

I was so pleased that you enjoyed the Superior room, the modern furnishings, the view from your room, and the cleanliness and moderness of the hotel. Thank you for your very positive comments about our Reception staff, I will be sure to commend them all on their exceptional customer service efforts.

We would love to have you stay at the hotel again soon.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 17 August 2012

Stayed here with my mum for one night, couldnt fault the place. Some of it was just a little dated but SUPER clean. It's not in the main part of the city but I think that's a good thing, the views from our room over the Brisbane River and out towards the hills were lovely, especially at night. Would definitely stay here again, and I'm a fussy traveller.

Room Tip: Ask for views over the city and Brisbane River
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
hgcbrisbane, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Brisbane, responded to this review, 20 August 2012
Dear Chazis,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review. Your feedback is very valuable to us and helps us to improve the product and service we offer our valued guests.

I was so pleased to read your positive comments about the high level of service you received from our staff during your stay, the cleanliness of the hotel, the location of the hotel and the views from your room.

We would absolutely love to have you visit the hotel again in the near future.

Washington, D.C., United States
Reviewed 15 August 2012

Where do I begin....I flew to Brisbane from Washington, D.C at 7 months pregnant to attend a professional conference for a week. My flight got in at 6:30am local time, so I paid for the extra night (the previous night) and was able to check in right away. I was starving, and there aren't many places to eat at immediately surrounding the hotel, so I ate at the hotel's breakfast buffet -- for a whopping $25. I'm not a big bacon, sausage, and runny "eggs" kind of gal, so I just ate yogurt, mueslix, fresh fruit, and toast -- those items were pretty decent, but not $25 decent.

Then I finally go to my room to crash out about an hour after checking in that morning. To my dismay, the room was VERY gloomy. Walls are white and bare and the furniture is very drab and contemporary, not to mention cheap and flimsy. The bed was rock hard (really not much different than sleeping on the floor). When I took a shower, practically the whole bathroom floor got wet because there is no divider between the shower and remaining bathroom, or any sort of water containment. Therefore, to keep from slipping while in the bathroom, I had to lay out a bunch of towels on the floor after showering. Also, the shower only had two settings: scalding hot or cold.

Once I finally got into bed that morning after traveling from the U.S. for 26 hours, I had a difficult time sleeping since my room was located next to the cleaning ladies' storage/supply room. They accessed the room frequently for supplies, and would slam the door everytime. I later learned this went on from about 4am - 11am local time. So every morning I was up before the sun at about 4am. If you stay here, be sure to request a room AWAY from the supply room on each floor.

Also, the doors in the rooms do not have the security latch at the top of the door that most hotel rooms have. So even though I had my bolt locked on my room door, the cleaning lady came right into my room using her key card while I was sleeping. She knocked and did not get a reply (because I was sleeping) so she just walked right in -- this was not a welcomed surprise. The whole time I was staying there I was paranoid that someone would just walk right into my room, especially while I was showering.

The location is not that great. There are a couple places to eat at around the hotel, but they aren't that good (i.e., Dominoes Pizza, an OK Indian restaurant and sushi joint) -- nothing like the fantastic restaurants around the Parklands or closer to Queen Street. Because I was pregnant, I didn't want a long walk to the train station. I was told the walk was about 5 mins. to Central Station -- not the case. It took about 15 minutes, and the way back was even longer since you are walking up a giant, steep, San Francisco-like hill.

I would say the only good thing about this hotel was the staff at reception. They were very nice and very helpful. But I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Make sure to request a room that is not located near the cleaning ladies' storage/supply room...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
hgcbrisbane, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Brisbane, responded to this review, 16 August 2012
Dear GeoTinaPhD,

I appreciated your positive comments regarding the high level of service you received from our Reception staff and that you found them to be very nice and very helpful during your stay with us.

I was disappointed to learn that you were unsatisfied with the breakfast; our staff should have suggested the continental breakfast option for you as it sounds as though this option would have better suited your needs.

We are currently in the process of completing a soft refurbishment bringing all rooms to meet the high standard in which we pride ourselves on. The refurbishment will be completed in a staggered stage throughout the year to ensure minimal disruption to our guests during this time.

I was disappointed to learn that you experienced some noise issues during your stay. Our Housekeeping staff are trained to always minimise noise and do their utmost to ensure our guests are not disturbed. Our Executive Housekeeper will be re-iterating the importance of this with all of our housekeeping staff.

Every room in our hotel is fitted with internal electronic door locks which are located just below the door handle. This is a security device in all of our rooms which allows the guest to lock the door from the inside so that the room can’t be entered. Our housekeeping staff would not be able to enter the room if the electronic door lock has been activated. We have had our Maintenance department check the room and the electronic door lock is operational.

The hotel is located a short ten minute walk from the CBD. We have a restaurant on-site at the hotel and there are also many different dining options located nearby the hotel.

We truly hope you will be our guest again in the near future so that we can exceed your expectations on your next visit.

Feilding, New Zealand
Reviewed 12 August 2012

We stayed for one night prior to international travel. We arrived early and were able to drop of our bags before going sight seeing. The room is very adequate and we were luckly enough to get great views. The pool and spa were cold, mind you it is winter. Cory from the bar, it would have been an excellent however your snobbery and unhelpfulness marred it, perhaps you should do a refresher in customer service.

Room Tip: I asked for a room high up and where given one.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
hgcbrisbane, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Brisbane, responded to this review, 13 August 2012
Dear pip_dman,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and to share with us your experience here at the hotel. Your feedback and comments are very valuable to us and help us to improve our product and service.

I was pleased that you chose to stay at our hotel prior to your international travel and that you enjoyed the room you stayed in and the views from your room.

The rooftop pool is not heated due to the sub-tropical climate enjoyed here in Brisbane which provides brilliant hot summer days and mild temperatures in winter.

I was disappointed to receive your feedback regarding the level of customer service you received. Normally we receive very positive comments about our staff and the high levels of service they consistently deliver. We will be re-iterating the customer service guidelines and standards with all of our hotel staff.

We would be delighted to have you visit the hotel again in the near future.

France
Reviewed 8 August 2012

I booked here for a night; I upgraded to a superior room just to check in early and it only cost and extra $30.
The room was dark and ice cold; I asked to move another room, which was a lot brighter and warmer!
I was on the top floor and was expecting a pretty snazzy room- slight disappointment. It was reasonably clean and moderately stylish but dated and a bit shabby.
Please don’t get me wrong, I have stayed in 3* hotels that have better furnishing…and was expecting a little more, especially because I’d upgraded to a superior room and this hotel is classed as a 4.5*. The bathroom was small with a wooden slide door- strange layout. The sofa in the room was shabby and needed replacing and the room could have been cleaned vacuumed better…

Having said that, the room was comfortable and staff polite. I tried to book a shuttle to the airport and the receptionist kept calling my home number in the UK? That I found strange. I’d received a few text messages from home telling me an Australian woman was trying to contact me regarding a transfer- why she didn’t leave a message in my room or hotel phone or even my mobile begs a question? But it got sorted eventually! It would be convenient to have a free hotel shuttle bus to the airport- but for some reason many of the hotels in Brisbane don’t…
Would I stay here again, well for the price and convenience yes- but not longer than a night or so, I think I’d spend a few dollars more and opt for a more comfortable and better-furnished hotel near the South Bank area.

Room Tip: The top floors are more light and airy and quieter. This hotel DOES NOT have 24hr room service! Bre...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
hgcbrisbane, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Brisbane, responded to this review, 10 August 2012
Dear pallabell,

I was pleased that you found the room comfortable, the location of the hotel convenient, the staff you dealt with during your stay polite and were happy with the price you paid for the accommodation.

I was disappointed to learn that you were not fully satisfied with the first Superior room you were allocated but was glad that you enjoyed the second Superior room which we were able to move you to. All of our Superior rooms have just been refurbished this year.