“Don't rush to stay here.”

Hotel Grand Chancellor Brisbane
Ranked #25 of 159 Hotels in Brisbane
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Don't rush to stay here.”
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Bedroom not clean, and not cleaned properly during our stay.
Remnants of crisps on floor from previous room occupant not a healthy start.
(We stayed as part of a larger group, and our experience was not that of everyone else.
We had a prompt apology after our stay).
Hotel appeared full, or almost so. Bar area too small, and unable to properly cope with numbers there. No draught beer.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
HGCSP-Management, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Brisbane, responded to this review, 30 July 2013
Dear Cymru2012,

Thank you for taking the time to bring the events of your stay to my attention. We encourage feedback from our guests, whether good or bad, as it enables us to define the areas that have been a positive experience for our guests as well as giving us the important opportunity to address areas that are of particular concern.

I was disappointed that your experience with our housekeeping team did not come up to your expectations during your recent stay with us. I have brought your feedback to the attention of our Housekeeping Manager so that they may ensure that their team is aware of the issue, and are continually providing service that is up to our usual high standards.

It is also unfortunate that we were not able to provide your favoured beer and if the many guests that seemed to be in the bar area while you were visiting caused you an inconvenience. I hope your experience was not too problematic.

I trust you had a pleasant trip home and we do hope to welcome you back at some stage in the future.

Peter Yared

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Murwillumbah, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Have stayed here many times during the AFL seasons as it is close to the CBD and bus services to the Gabba and the park across the road is good for an early morning walk. Since the renovations, the rooms are very well set out and clean and comfortable. Food and service at the restaurant/bar is great. The last time we stayed, there was a mix up with our booking and the weekend package but all was quickly, professionally and friendly sorted and rectified.

Room Tip: Suggest middle floors with balcony - these are quitter and brighter
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Denise M,

Thank you for you lovely review of your visit to the hotel.

I am so pleased that you enjoy your stay every time. Thank you as well for your kind comments about our staff as well as the food at the hotel.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Wellington
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Average hotel - standard room and fittings etc, with lovey showers but I am reviewing this because of the exceptional service. We accidentally left an item in the room and the Executive Housekeeper has gone above and beyond to return it safely to us. Made the stay memorable. Thank you

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank humu23
Dear humu23,

Greetings from Hotel Grand Chancellor Brisbane. Thank you for taking the time to post some feedback about your stay with us.

Thank you especially for your very kind comments about our Housekeeping team. It is always great to hear that a guest has been so well looked after. I will definitely ensure that your praise is relayed.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

darwin
Reviewed 22 July 2013 via mobile

I arrived quite easily and had been awake most of the night I was checked in without hesitation, the room was clean and the bed comfortable. I was there for a work meeting, the hotel supplied amazing lunches and excellent hospitality.
I ate in the restaurant and absolutely no complaints about the food whatsoever ever, amazing.
My entire stay couldn't be faulted. Thank you so much to all the helpful and courteous staff

Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Dear lazysundaze,

Thank you for your review. Word of mouth is an amazing way to share your experiences and we appreciate you taking the time to write about us.

I am so pleased to hear that your entire stay couldn’t be faulted – what great positive feedback that is!

I trust you had a pleasant trip home and we hope you’ll visit us again soon.

Noosa, Australia
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Having previously stayed at the Grand Chancellor in Hobart & Wellington on several occasions, I was looking forward to our stay. The standard room we were given was located directly next to the elevator/lift. The bathroom was fitted with facilities for the infirmed or handicapped, which made it difficult for us to have a shower. The shower control was in need of repair, despite our best efforts we could only manage to get scorching hot or tepid water temperatures. The drapes lacked the drawing rod to facilitate complete closure. Red flashing lights on the phone next to the bed, that indicate voicemail, could not be removed, despite our efforts with the hotel staff. The TV remote only worked to turn the TV on, then we required the assistance of hotel staff to turn the TV off. The shower issue was only detected just before retiring for the night. Having had a big day and evening out, I just wanted to go to sleep. My sleep was disrupted through the night by the noise from the elevator lift and compounded by the morning light streaming through the drapes we could not fully close. The hotel was chosen for its proximity to Brisbane Private for an early morning appt. My husband checked us out and on my return from the appt. I voiced my overall displeasure to the front desk staff. I was advised that if we had complained earlier, we could have been given another room, however, that would have meant getting dressed again and moving when I was too tired to bother with it. My question is, why were we given this room to begin with??

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 July 2013 via mobile

As my first real stay in a hotel I was hoping for more. The staff were lovely and hotel was clean... But, the rooms are very average, my door key card stopped working TWICE, I found a cockroach, though already dead. But what annoyed me was that the hotel restaurant, like everywhere else in Queensland stopped taking orders at 7:45. Being from Perth, thats not even 6pm here, also in Perth restaurants are open till at least 9pm. I don't find that good service.

We arrived at the hotel early and was told our room wasn't ready but they would call me when it was. So we went for a wonder, 2 hours later, didn't receive a call. When we got back to the hotel they said it had been ready for ages.

Not a good first impression.

• Stayed October 2012
HGCSP-Management, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Brisbane, responded to this review, 22 July 2013
Dear Aimee W,

Thank you very much for your feedback as it gives us a great opportunity to see where we are doing a fine job, and where we can make improvements. I am pleased that you found our staff to be lovely and enjoyed the cleanliness of the hotel.

I was however disappointed that some aspects of your room and décor did not meet your expectations. There are photos posted on our website of both the standard rooms and the deluxe and premium rooms. I hope you will have the chance to return to the hotel soon for a stay in one of our deluxe or premium rooms as I am sure it will be much more to your liking. I have also brought your feedback about the cockroach to the attention of our Housekeeping Manager so that they may ensure that their team is aware of the issue, and are continually providing service that is up to our usual high standards

Our restaurant Frescos does try to cater to all guests and is open 7 days a week from 6:00pm until 9:30pm. From time to time the restaurant can be fully booked with private functions or due to high occupancy, and that’s when we can’t always accommodate to walk-in guests, however room service is still available.

I do apologise for the inconveniences felt during your stay with us, and we’d love to welcome you back to our hotel in the future to prove that your experience was not the norm for us.

Best Regards,
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 7 July 2013 via mobile

In spite of the inexpensive room rate, I was pleasantly surprised at the size of the room, the good condition of the hotel, location, dining room/snack bar food and service as well as the helpful and professional staff. I would stay there again.

Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Cecilia W
hgcbrisbane, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Brisbane, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
Dear Cecilia W,

Thank you for your feedback - it is much appreciated. It’s great to hear your room was better than you expected and that you were impressed with our staff and service.

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you to the hotel on your next visit.

Best Regards,