“Could do a LOT better”

Hotel Grand Chancellor Brisbane
Ranked #23 of 169 Hotels in Brisbane
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Hotel has easy access and good parking.
Service at reception was very slow - there were 3 staff but only 1 appeared to be working.
The room was adequate - we had booked a twin room, the bathroom was in desperate need of refurbishment - the smashed tiles near the toilet were sharp and in my view a health hazard..
The lighting was completely inadequate - there was only one reading light per bed and these were poorly placed - only one person could read. There was a failed globe in the wall light. Beds were comfortable and the small balcony gave a nice view and access to fresh air.
The TV channels were woeful! None of the digital channels such as ABC 24 were available.
The used bandaid that was in the hall stayed in place for our entire stay.....the staff and house keeping really need to try a little harder.

Room Tip: Ask for a middle floor with a balcony
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
HGCSP-Management, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2013

Dear DebV_10,

Thank you for your feedback, it is always good for us to hear about our guests experiences.
I was disappointed to hear that several aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations and I would like to apologise for your experience with our Reception and Housekeeping staff. I have brought your feedback to the attention of both our Front Office and Housekeeping Manager so that they may ensure that all staff are continually providing the service and cleanliness that we are known for.

I was also disheartened to read that you were unhappy with some elements of your room. I hope you will have the chance to return to the hotel soon for a stay in one of our deluxe or premium rooms as I am sure it will be much more to your liking. The small upgrade fee is well worth it for the great improvement provided by these rooms. Of course if budget is a concern the standard rooms can still provide a comfortable option with all the advantages of our stunning location.

Thank you again for your time in creating this feedback for us and we do hope you’ll visit us again soon.

Peter Yared

Write a ReviewReviews (1,987)

Reviewed 4 August 2013

We stayed here last Saturday night and have no complaints whatsoever. We booked via the hotels website (same rate as on lastminute.com) and had our booking confirmed quickly. Check-in was good but it was late so there was no queue. Free parking was a bonus. Our deluxe room was clean and spacious for a basic room, with small balcony which is a great if you like some fresh air. Modern, albeit small, bathroom which had been renovated. Comfortable bed and wall mounted TV. Shame there is no free wifi in the rooms which we believe all hotels should have in this day and age. We didn't visit the bar or restaurant however were very happy with the room service. The food arrived quickly, it was hot and the servings were very generous. Checkout was quick, but beware of a 1.5% fee if you pay by credit card. All in all very good and we will certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: High floor and make sure it has a balcony.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Kathryn G

Dear Kathryn G,

Thank you for taking the time to create this review of your stay with us. I was so pleased to read that Hotel Grand Chancellor Brisbane suited your travel needs.

Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit soon

Reviewed 1 August 2013

My partner and I booked at this hotel for what we hoped would be a nice weekend away, down in Brisbane. Upon arrival at the hotel everything seemed fine, the lobby looking fairly nice, if not a little old fashioned.
Then we proceeded to check in, the young lady who served us, only uttered a few words at us. First was "NAME", which we gave, we then tried to engage her in conversation, no response. Then she said, "I need your Credit Card" I knew a Credit card swipe was normal procedure for hotels, but I stood there waiting for a Please, it never came.

After this very unpleasant check in we went up to the room. It was a "Standard room" now I know that at the Standard price in Brisbane you don't expect miracles. But at the rate we paid for a so called four and a half star hotel, I don't expect thread bare carpets, mouldy bathroom, rusty minibar fridge, spongy mattress.
To call the room tired would be generous. I contacted reception about my concerns about the room.
I was told that if I paid extra they could put me in a "Nice" room.

In the end we decided to go out for dinner, suffer through the night and get out as soon as possible in the morning.
First time using Trip advisor, but ill be checking it before I book hotels in the future.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear 683edm,

Thank for your feedback, it is most appreciated. I was disappointed to read that your check-in experience was less than impressive. We strive to ensure the service we provide in all areas of the hotel is not only excellent, but also consistent. I have brought your feedback to the attention of our Front Office manager so that they may ensure we are consistently able to offer service up to our high standards.

I was also disheartened that you were unhappy with the standard of your room. We have been completing renovations on the hotel over the past year and these renovations have ensured that most of our rooms have a modern and stylish look. The only rooms we have left to complete are our standard rooms. I hope you will have the chance to return to the hotel soon for a stay in one of our newly renovated rooms as I am sure it will be much more to your liking. The small upgrade fee from $15 is well worth it for the great improvement provided by these renovated rooms. Of course if budget is a concern the standard rooms can still provide a clean comfortable option with all the advantages of our stunning location.

Thank you again for your feedback and we do hope that you will consider returning soon.

Reviewed 30 July 2013

The hotel is far from new and is showing signs of wear. The rooms are however clean but simple with the inclusion of a balcony as a good point of difference from most city hotels.
The service was good being friendly and efficient. Underground parking which was easy to access was also a positive.
The location is up on a hill a little bit away from the main strip.
The hotel is good without being great but I would happily stay here again for business or on a short break.

• Stayed: July 2013
HGCSP-Management, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2013

Dear Lolo_Tim_Tim,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at the hotel recently. I was pleased to read that you found our parking convenient and our staff to be friendly and efficient.

I was disappointed that some aspects of your room and décor did not meet your expectations. There are photos posted on our website of both the standard rooms and the deluxe and premium rooms. I hope you will have the chance to return to the hotel soon for a stay in one of our deluxe or premium rooms as I am sure it will be much more to your liking. I am sure you will agree that the small upgrade fee is well worth it for the great improvement provided by these rooms. Of course if budget is a concern the standard rooms can still provide a clean comfortable option with all the advantages of our stunning location.

Thank you again for your time in creating this feedback for us. We look forward to your next visit to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 26 July 2013

Bedroom not clean, and not cleaned properly during our stay.
Remnants of crisps on floor from previous room occupant not a healthy start.
(We stayed as part of a larger group, and our experience was not that of everyone else.
We had a prompt apology after our stay).
Hotel appeared full, or almost so. Bar area too small, and unable to properly cope with numbers there. No draught beer.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
HGCSP-Management, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

Dear Cymru2012,

Thank you for taking the time to bring the events of your stay to my attention. We encourage feedback from our guests, whether good or bad, as it enables us to define the areas that have been a positive experience for our guests as well as giving us the important opportunity to address areas that are of particular concern.

I was disappointed that your experience with our housekeeping team did not come up to your expectations during your recent stay with us. I have brought your feedback to the attention of our Housekeeping Manager so that they may ensure that their team is aware of the issue, and are continually providing service that is up to our usual high standards.

It is also unfortunate that we were not able to provide your favoured beer and if the many guests that seemed to be in the bar area while you were visiting caused you an inconvenience. I hope your experience was not too problematic.

I trust you had a pleasant trip home and we do hope to welcome you back at some stage in the future.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

Have stayed here many times during the AFL seasons as it is close to the CBD and bus services to the Gabba and the park across the road is good for an early morning walk. Since the renovations, the rooms are very well set out and clean and comfortable. Food and service at the restaurant/bar is great. The last time we stayed, there was a mix up with our booking and the weekend package but all was quickly, professionally and friendly sorted and rectified.

Room Tip: Suggest middle floors with balcony - these are quitter and brighter
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Denise M,

Thank you for you lovely review of your visit to the hotel.

I am so pleased that you enjoy your stay every time. Thank you as well for your kind comments about our staff as well as the food at the hotel.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

Average hotel - standard room and fittings etc, with lovey showers but I am reviewing this because of the exceptional service. We accidentally left an item in the room and the Executive Housekeeper has gone above and beyond to return it safely to us. Made the stay memorable. Thank you

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank humu23

Dear humu23,

Greetings from Hotel Grand Chancellor Brisbane. Thank you for taking the time to post some feedback about your stay with us.

Thank you especially for your very kind comments about our Housekeeping team. It is always great to hear that a guest has been so well looked after. I will definitely ensure that your praise is relayed.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.