“First and last stay” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #28 of 162 Hotels in Brisbane
Woodford, Australia
“First and last stay”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013 via mobile

Very late arrival in BNE off a delayed last flight. Couldn't book because we weren't sure we'd make the curfew out of Sydney. Spent forever at check in as they were unable to accept (any) credit cards because of some bank problem with EFTPOS terminals.

Wound up paying cash because of the EFTPOS issue. Then I had to give a security because of paying cash, like driver license or passport (!!!). Wound up getting to room after 1 am. Upgrade for all this trouble? No chance. Got the bog standard room.

Rooms are very ordinary, hotel is very tired, maybe built in 70s. At least reasonable size, comfortable bed, clean sheets.

Early start next morning because apparently they weren't good on soundproofing in the 70s. Lots of traffic noise, and we were on 7th floor and all.

It was good to get away, but again not quick. This is because they ask you if you've had anything from the mini bar, and then company policy is apparently is apparently to keep you waiting while they go check your room anyway.

Oh and by the way, a surprise gouge at the end. $20 to park your own car? In the hotel car park in Spring Hill?

And a sign at reception advertising a gratuity of some kind for facebook likes.

Dear Grand Chancellor management, you need to get serious about trust. You can't treat people as suspicious just because your efpos went down.

Dear readers, we have stayed at many Brisbane hotels. This was the nadir. It is inconvenient and wayvoverpriced. Be wary of surprise extras. We stayed at the Tower Mill time before last I think and it was a similar place tk thid, more convenient to CBD, for a good deal less.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
HGCSP-Management, General Manager at Grand Chancellor Brisbane, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
Dear PineappleSkip,

Thank you for feedback, we appreciate all comments positive and negative as it highlights the areas in which we are performing well and those that may require attention.

I would like to apologise that you experienced a wait to check-in due to the Hotel experiencing some issues with the EFTPOS terminal. I also understand that you were unhappy with the collection of the security bond. It is Hotel policy to collect a bond on arrival for any incidentals you may use, such as in-room dining, movies, or phone calls during your stay. It is unfortunate that due to the EFTPOS terminal being offline we were required to collect this in cash.

All guests who pay cash are also required to provide Photo ID upon check-in as a security measure. It is also a requirement for our staff to check the mini-bar usage upon check out to ensure that any items used are charged appropriately. Apologies if you feel the wait time was less than satisfactory, I hope the Hotel’s policy did not cause you too much inconvenience.

It is also a shame that you felt your stay was overpriced. Our pricing is comparable to similar properties in this area, and we feel we give good value given our central location and extensive facilities.

Thank you again for your feedback. I trust you had a pleasant trip home and we do hope you would consider staying with us again.

Peter Yared

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

Stayed here for easy access to St Andrews across the road. And we were not disappointed. Check in was a breeze and the staff very helpful. They were more than helpful when I needed to park a car for an hour during check out.
The room was clean and tidy and having a balcony was great. Some great views across Brisbane.
Would definitely stay here again.
An excellent hotel and location.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HGCSP-Management, General Manager at Grand Chancellor Brisbane, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
Dear ScottRo,

Thank you for taking the time to create a review of your visit to the hotel.

I am glad you liked the very convenient location of the hotel, and that it suited your needs.

It is also great to hear that you were able to take advantage of our lovely views and that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Gladstone, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

I caught the train from the airport, the hotel was very easy to find and it's a lovely, short, scenic walk through the Roma St Parklands. Our hotel room had a balcony which overlooked the beautiful parkland. Beds were super comfy, bathroom was clean, modern and quite spacious. The hotel staff were very friendly. There was construction on the Monday morning which hotel staff advised us about in advance and apologised for any disruptions, but we didn't even notice any noise. We booked through travelzoo.com.au and we got the room on a special so I can't comment on the price.
I would definitely stay here again and have recommended it to friends and family.

Room Tip: At the time of booking I requested a high floor and a balcony as I like to let in fresh air.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Dear PepperFox,

Greetings from Hotel Grand Chancellor Brisbane.

Thank you for your kind review of the hotel. It is wonderful to read that you enjoyed your stay and were impressed with our staff. I will be sure to pass your praise on to our team in the next briefing.

Thank you again for your feedback and your recommendation to your family and friends – we look forward to welcoming you all.

The Summit, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

Have stayed here many times and always leave with the same feeling. It's a great place to stay with very good value for money. Any criticisms are only ever minor. Car park is good, location is good and out of the noise and rat race of the main roads through the cbd and the staff always make an effort to be nice.

I suspect my room was changed to being at the end of the corridor when I checked in as I had just done a very long day on the road and mentioned to the staff that I was tired and was placed a long way from the lifts in the middle of the building.

The complimentary snacks and extras like robes are nice touches and its a nice place to crash for the night when stressed and working.

Would like to have been advised that the pool and rooftop was closed though as that affected the stay a little but theres worse things that can go wrong on a hotel stay.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Dear Lawdogs A,

It is just lovely to read about our guests consistently having had great experiences with us. I am so pleased that you enjoyed the friendly service, great room, and convenient location we have to offer.

I do apologise that you were not advised of the brief closure of the rooftop level – it is now open for you to enjoy on your next stay.

Thank you again for your very kind words, and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Grafton, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

Hotel has easy access and good parking.
Service at reception was very slow - there were 3 staff but only 1 appeared to be working.
The room was adequate - we had booked a twin room, the bathroom was in desperate need of refurbishment - the smashed tiles near the toilet were sharp and in my view a health hazard..
The lighting was completely inadequate - there was only one reading light per bed and these were poorly placed - only one person could read. There was a failed globe in the wall light. Beds were comfortable and the small balcony gave a nice view and access to fresh air.
The TV channels were woeful! None of the digital channels such as ABC 24 were available.
The used bandaid that was in the hall stayed in place for our entire stay.....the staff and house keeping really need to try a little harder.

Room Tip: Ask for a middle floor with a balcony
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear DebV_10,

Thank you for your feedback, it is always good for us to hear about our guests experiences.
I was disappointed to hear that several aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations and I would like to apologise for your experience with our Reception and Housekeeping staff. I have brought your feedback to the attention of both our Front Office and Housekeeping Manager so that they may ensure that all staff are continually providing the service and cleanliness that we are known for.

I was also disheartened to read that you were unhappy with some elements of your room. I hope you will have the chance to return to the hotel soon for a stay in one of our deluxe or premium rooms as I am sure it will be much more to your liking. The small upgrade fee is well worth it for the great improvement provided by these rooms. Of course if budget is a concern the standard rooms can still provide a comfortable option with all the advantages of our stunning location.

Thank you again for your time in creating this feedback for us and we do hope you’ll visit us again soon.

Noosa, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

We stayed here last Saturday night and have no complaints whatsoever. We booked via the hotels website (same rate as on lastminute.com) and had our booking confirmed quickly. Check-in was good but it was late so there was no queue. Free parking was a bonus. Our deluxe room was clean and spacious for a basic room, with small balcony which is a great if you like some fresh air. Modern, albeit small, bathroom which had been renovated. Comfortable bed and wall mounted TV. Shame there is no free wifi in the rooms which we believe all hotels should have in this day and age. We didn't visit the bar or restaurant however were very happy with the room service. The food arrived quickly, it was hot and the servings were very generous. Checkout was quick, but beware of a 1.5% fee if you pay by credit card. All in all very good and we will certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: High floor and make sure it has a balcony.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Kathryn G
Dear Kathryn G,

Thank you for taking the time to create this review of your stay with us. I was so pleased to read that Hotel Grand Chancellor Brisbane suited your travel needs.

Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit soon

Noosaville, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013

My partner and I booked at this hotel for what we hoped would be a nice weekend away, down in Brisbane. Upon arrival at the hotel everything seemed fine, the lobby looking fairly nice, if not a little old fashioned.
Then we proceeded to check in, the young lady who served us, only uttered a few words at us. First was "NAME", which we gave, we then tried to engage her in conversation, no response. Then she said, "I need your Credit Card" I knew a Credit card swipe was normal procedure for hotels, but I stood there waiting for a Please, it never came.

After this very unpleasant check in we went up to the room. It was a "Standard room" now I know that at the Standard price in Brisbane you don't expect miracles. But at the rate we paid for a so called four and a half star hotel, I don't expect thread bare carpets, mouldy bathroom, rusty minibar fridge, spongy mattress.
To call the room tired would be generous. I contacted reception about my concerns about the room.
I was told that if I paid extra they could put me in a "Nice" room.

In the end we decided to go out for dinner, suffer through the night and get out as soon as possible in the morning.
First time using Trip advisor, but ill be checking it before I book hotels in the future.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear 683edm,

Thank for your feedback, it is most appreciated. I was disappointed to read that your check-in experience was less than impressive. We strive to ensure the service we provide in all areas of the hotel is not only excellent, but also consistent. I have brought your feedback to the attention of our Front Office manager so that they may ensure we are consistently able to offer service up to our high standards.

I was also disheartened that you were unhappy with the standard of your room. We have been completing renovations on the hotel over the past year and these renovations have ensured that most of our rooms have a modern and stylish look. The only rooms we have left to complete are our standard rooms. I hope you will have the chance to return to the hotel soon for a stay in one of our newly renovated rooms as I am sure it will be much more to your liking. The small upgrade fee from $15 is well worth it for the great improvement provided by these renovated rooms. Of course if budget is a concern the standard rooms can still provide a clean comfortable option with all the advantages of our stunning location.

Thank you again for your feedback and we do hope that you will consider returning soon.