“Good price for the city”

Hotel Grand Chancellor Brisbane
Ranked #23 of 168 Hotels in Brisbane
Reviewed 17 August 2013

I stayed at the Grand Chancellor back in mid January. For the most part it was a pleasant stay. The room was a fair size for a city hotel and it afforded a nice view to the north of the city. The roof pool was alright and the whirlpool relaxing. The bar was good but I found the restaurant wasn't open whenever I wanted something to eat. (The nearest food store was a couple of blocks away).

I suppose my main objection was the fact that it was a fair distance from the river and Kangaroo Point but, given the more modest pricing I really don't have any significant concerns about that.

Room Tip: if you can get a room facing towards the downtown it would probably have a better view but if you ar...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 16 August 2013

We stayed one night here with our three children when we went to the Ekka. The rooms were great if staying one night, maybe two with kids. They were very clean, bathroom could do with an upgrade but was still fine.
Very convenient location and staff were very friendly and helpful.
Will definitely stay again whenever we are in Brisbane.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
HGCSP-Management, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2013

Dear Katie Y,

Thank you for this review of your visit to the Hotel Grand Chancellor Brisbane.

I am so glad you and your family enjoyed your stay even if it was a short one. I appreciate your kind comments about our convenient location and helpful staff and will be sure to pass your praise on to the whole team.

I hope you and your family will be able to visit us again soon, and that you get to stay a bit longer next time.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 13 August 2013 via mobile

Very late arrival in BNE off a delayed last flight. Couldn't book because we weren't sure we'd make the curfew out of Sydney. Spent forever at check in as they were unable to accept (any) credit cards because of some bank problem with EFTPOS terminals.

Wound up paying cash because of the EFTPOS issue. Then I had to give a security because of paying cash, like driver license or passport (!!!). Wound up getting to room after 1 am. Upgrade for all this trouble? No chance. Got the bog standard room.

Rooms are very ordinary, hotel is very tired, maybe built in 70s. At least reasonable size, comfortable bed, clean sheets.

Early start next morning because apparently they weren't good on soundproofing in the 70s. Lots of traffic noise, and we were on 7th floor and all.

It was good to get away, but again not quick. This is because they ask you if you've had anything from the mini bar, and then company policy is apparently is apparently to keep you waiting while they go check your room anyway.

Oh and by the way, a surprise gouge at the end. $20 to park your own car? In the hotel car park in Spring Hill?

And a sign at reception advertising a gratuity of some kind for facebook likes.

Dear Grand Chancellor management, you need to get serious about trust. You can't treat people as suspicious just because your efpos went down.

Dear readers, we have stayed at many Brisbane hotels. This was the nadir. It is inconvenient and wayvoverpriced. Be wary of surprise extras. We stayed at the Tower Mill time before last I think and it was a similar place tk thid, more convenient to CBD, for a good deal less.

• Stayed: August 2013
HGCSP-Management, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2013

Dear PineappleSkip,

Thank you for feedback, we appreciate all comments positive and negative as it highlights the areas in which we are performing well and those that may require attention.

I would like to apologise that you experienced a wait to check-in due to the Hotel experiencing some issues with the EFTPOS terminal. I also understand that you were unhappy with the collection of the security bond. It is Hotel policy to collect a bond on arrival for any incidentals you may use, such as in-room dining, movies, or phone calls during your stay. It is unfortunate that due to the EFTPOS terminal being offline we were required to collect this in cash.

All guests who pay cash are also required to provide Photo ID upon check-in as a security measure. It is also a requirement for our staff to check the mini-bar usage upon check out to ensure that any items used are charged appropriately. Apologies if you feel the wait time was less than satisfactory, I hope the Hotel’s policy did not cause you too much inconvenience.

It is also a shame that you felt your stay was overpriced. Our pricing is comparable to similar properties in this area, and we feel we give good value given our central location and extensive facilities.

Thank you again for your feedback. I trust you had a pleasant trip home and we do hope you would consider staying with us again.

Reviewed 12 August 2013

Stayed here for easy access to St Andrews across the road. And we were not disappointed. Check in was a breeze and the staff very helpful. They were more than helpful when I needed to park a car for an hour during check out.
The room was clean and tidy and having a balcony was great. Some great views across Brisbane.
Would definitely stay here again.
An excellent hotel and location.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
HGCSP-Management, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2013

Dear ScottRo,

Thank you for taking the time to create a review of your visit to the hotel.

I am glad you liked the very convenient location of the hotel, and that it suited your needs.

It is also great to hear that you were able to take advantage of our lovely views and that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 9 August 2013

I caught the train from the airport, the hotel was very easy to find and it's a lovely, short, scenic walk through the Roma St Parklands. Our hotel room had a balcony which overlooked the beautiful parkland. Beds were super comfy, bathroom was clean, modern and quite spacious. The hotel staff were very friendly. There was construction on the Monday morning which hotel staff advised us about in advance and apologised for any disruptions, but we didn't even notice any noise. We booked through travelzoo.com.au and we got the room on a special so I can't comment on the price.
I would definitely stay here again and have recommended it to friends and family.

Room Tip: At the time of booking I requested a high floor and a balcony as I like to let in fresh air.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Dear PepperFox,

Greetings from Hotel Grand Chancellor Brisbane.

Thank you for your kind review of the hotel. It is wonderful to read that you enjoyed your stay and were impressed with our staff. I will be sure to pass your praise on to our team in the next briefing.

Thank you again for your feedback and your recommendation to your family and friends – we look forward to welcoming you all.

Reviewed 7 August 2013

Have stayed here many times and always leave with the same feeling. It's a great place to stay with very good value for money. Any criticisms are only ever minor. Car park is good, location is good and out of the noise and rat race of the main roads through the cbd and the staff always make an effort to be nice.

I suspect my room was changed to being at the end of the corridor when I checked in as I had just done a very long day on the road and mentioned to the staff that I was tired and was placed a long way from the lifts in the middle of the building.

The complimentary snacks and extras like robes are nice touches and its a nice place to crash for the night when stressed and working.

Would like to have been advised that the pool and rooftop was closed though as that affected the stay a little but theres worse things that can go wrong on a hotel stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

Dear Lawdogs A,

It is just lovely to read about our guests consistently having had great experiences with us. I am so pleased that you enjoyed the friendly service, great room, and convenient location we have to offer.

I do apologise that you were not advised of the brief closure of the rooftop level – it is now open for you to enjoy on your next stay.

Thank you again for your very kind words, and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

Hotel has easy access and good parking.
Service at reception was very slow - there were 3 staff but only 1 appeared to be working.
The room was adequate - we had booked a twin room, the bathroom was in desperate need of refurbishment - the smashed tiles near the toilet were sharp and in my view a health hazard..
The lighting was completely inadequate - there was only one reading light per bed and these were poorly placed - only one person could read. There was a failed globe in the wall light. Beds were comfortable and the small balcony gave a nice view and access to fresh air.
The TV channels were woeful! None of the digital channels such as ABC 24 were available.
The used bandaid that was in the hall stayed in place for our entire stay.....the staff and house keeping really need to try a little harder.

Room Tip: Ask for a middle floor with a balcony
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Dear DebV_10,

Thank you for your feedback, it is always good for us to hear about our guests experiences.
I was disappointed to hear that several aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations and I would like to apologise for your experience with our Reception and Housekeeping staff. I have brought your feedback to the attention of both our Front Office and Housekeeping Manager so that they may ensure that all staff are continually providing the service and cleanliness that we are known for.

I was also disheartened to read that you were unhappy with some elements of your room. I hope you will have the chance to return to the hotel soon for a stay in one of our deluxe or premium rooms as I am sure it will be much more to your liking. The small upgrade fee is well worth it for the great improvement provided by these rooms. Of course if budget is a concern the standard rooms can still provide a comfortable option with all the advantages of our stunning location.

Thank you again for your time in creating this feedback for us and we do hope you’ll visit us again soon.