Hotel Grand Chancellor Brisbane
Sportsman Hotel(Brisbane)
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
2,048 results
All reviewsst andrews hospitalsuperior roomroma street parklandsrooftop poolspring hillconference facilitiesfree bussmall balconybuffet breakfastroom servicesuncorp stadiumgreat place to staycomfortable bedreception staffgreat roomacross the roadpleasant stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 August 2013

This has been a long awaited return visit. I like it here as I know I can rely on Grand Chancellor high standard of housekeeping and while it's not down in the CBD it's also very quiet at night. I was welcomed back to the hotel as a return guest, this was a nice touch as I stay in a number of hotels repeatedly and are often if not always treated as a first time guest.
Room 904A was on one of the upper floors looking over Leichardt street towards the north of Brisbane with a nice view of the fireworks for the Ekka, the Brisbane Show.
This room has their new Bathroom, the room was not their largest but very comfortable and more than enough space for what I needed for a 2 night stay. I loved the new bathroom, the rain shower was superb as I hate bath over shower combo's, this is such a clever bathroom and I loved the window from the shower to the bedroom, it was so stylish and very simple at the same time. I didn't get to use the bar or restaurant this time as my time was fully taken up with visiting friends in Brisbane, but dined in the restaurant on my first stay and I still remember it as a really great steak.
Hopefully I can make another stay before Christmas, if time permits.
I like staying here as it is not down in the CBD and you don't have any trahy elements wandering around at night

Room Tip: I have never yet had a bad room here
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Airline_GuySydney
HGCSP-Management, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2013

Dear Airline_GuySydney,

What a fantastic review – thank you so much. It is wonderful to hear that your visits with us have been a consistently good experience and I am thrilled that you were so impressed with the elements of your room.

We are really pleased that you choose to stay with us again and do hope to welcome you back again before Christmas.

Reviewed 17 August 2013

I stayed at the Grand Chancellor back in mid January. For the most part it was a pleasant stay. The room was a fair size for a city hotel and it afforded a nice view to the north of the city. The roof pool was alright and the whirlpool relaxing. The bar was good but I found the restaurant wasn't open whenever I wanted something to eat. (The nearest food store was a couple of blocks away).

I suppose my main objection was the fact that it was a fair distance from the river and Kangaroo Point but, given the more modest pricing I really don't have any significant concerns about that.

Room Tip: if you can get a room facing towards the downtown it would probably have a better view but if you are in the top half of the hotel you get a nice sight line of the city either way.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 August 2013

We stayed one night here with our three children when we went to the Ekka. The rooms were great if staying one night, maybe two with kids. They were very clean, bathroom could do with an upgrade but was still fine.
Very convenient location and staff were very friendly and helpful.
Will definitely stay again whenever we are in Brisbane.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Dear Katie Y,

Thank you for this review of your visit to the Hotel Grand Chancellor Brisbane.

I am so glad you and your family enjoyed your stay even if it was a short one. I appreciate your kind comments about our convenient location and helpful staff and will be sure to pass your praise on to the whole team.

I hope you and your family will be able to visit us again soon, and that you get to stay a bit longer next time.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 13 August 2013 via mobile

Very late arrival in BNE off a delayed last flight. Couldn't book because we weren't sure we'd make the curfew out of Sydney. Spent forever at check in as they were unable to accept (any) credit cards because of some bank problem with EFTPOS terminals.

Wound up paying cash because of the EFTPOS issue. Then I had to give a security because of paying cash, like driver license or passport (!!!). Wound up getting to room after 1 am. Upgrade for all this trouble? No chance. Got the bog standard room.

Rooms are very ordinary, hotel is very tired, maybe built in 70s. At least reasonable size, comfortable bed, clean sheets.

Early start next morning because apparently they weren't good on soundproofing in the 70s. Lots of traffic noise, and we were on 7th floor and all.

It was good to get away, but again not quick. This is because they ask you if you've had anything from the mini bar, and then company policy is apparently is apparently to keep you waiting while they go check your room anyway.

Oh and by the way, a surprise gouge at the end. $20 to park your own car? In the hotel car park in Spring Hill?

And a sign at reception advertising a gratuity of some kind for facebook likes.

Dear Grand Chancellor management, you need to get serious about trust. You can't treat people as suspicious just because your efpos went down.

Dear readers, we have stayed at many Brisbane hotels. This was the nadir. It is inconvenient and wayvoverpriced. Be wary of surprise extras. We stayed at the Tower Mill time before last I think and it was a similar place tk thid, more convenient to CBD, for a good deal less.

• Stayed: August 2013
HGCSP-Management, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2013

Dear PineappleSkip,

Thank you for feedback, we appreciate all comments positive and negative as it highlights the areas in which we are performing well and those that may require attention.

I would like to apologise that you experienced a wait to check-in due to the Hotel experiencing some issues with the EFTPOS terminal. I also understand that you were unhappy with the collection of the security bond. It is Hotel policy to collect a bond on arrival for any incidentals you may use, such as in-room dining, movies, or phone calls during your stay. It is unfortunate that due to the EFTPOS terminal being offline we were required to collect this in cash.

All guests who pay cash are also required to provide Photo ID upon check-in as a security measure. It is also a requirement for our staff to check the mini-bar usage upon check out to ensure that any items used are charged appropriately. Apologies if you feel the wait time was less than satisfactory, I hope the Hotel’s policy did not cause you too much inconvenience.

It is also a shame that you felt your stay was overpriced. Our pricing is comparable to similar properties in this area, and we feel we give good value given our central location and extensive facilities.

Thank you again for your feedback. I trust you had a pleasant trip home and we do hope you would consider staying with us again.

Reviewed 12 August 2013

Stayed here for easy access to St Andrews across the road. And we were not disappointed. Check in was a breeze and the staff very helpful. They were more than helpful when I needed to park a car for an hour during check out.
The room was clean and tidy and having a balcony was great. Some great views across Brisbane.
Would definitely stay here again.
An excellent hotel and location.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
HGCSP-Management, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2013

Dear ScottRo,

Thank you for taking the time to create a review of your visit to the hotel.

I am glad you liked the very convenient location of the hotel, and that it suited your needs.

It is also great to hear that you were able to take advantage of our lovely views and that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.