“DUMP - NOT 4.5 STAR”

Ranked #58 of 159 Hotels in Brisbane
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
“DUMP - NOT 4.5 STAR”
Reviewed 3 August 2013

AVOID Oaks at any cost. This place was ok when new but it's run down. The apartments are privately owned at rented out via Oaks. If the owner doesn't upgrade/maintain their apartments Oak don't seem to care. It was filthy. Mold, dust, worn dirty furniture and carpet. Marks on the wall. To the point it makes me feel ill. The on duty manager (with no offence) was very young with a smart attitude with no intention of listening to my complaints. Its very noisy , uncomfortable, dirty and the staff attitude is extremely poor. This place should be investigated by the tourism authorites as it gives Australia a bad name

Room Tip: Only way I would stay here is with written confirmation that the apartment has been refurbished and...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank BrisbaneNewDad
OaksLexic0n, Manager at Oaks Lexicon Apartments, responded to this review, 4 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment about your recent stay and I am very disappointed to hear your comments about the standard of the apartment that you stayed in.
I would like to assure you that we are constantly maintaining all the units in the corporate letting pool with regular maintenance and furniture upgrades. We have a housekeeping team who pride themselves on a high cleaning standard and therefore I am surprised that the room was found to be dirty.
I have scheduled some re-training with the front desk staff and housekeeping staff and would love an opportunity to show you our usual high standard if you came to stay at Oaks Lexicon again.
Thank you once again for providing me such valuable feedback and I do apologise for any inconveience or disappointment caused.
Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Canberra
Reviewed 20 July 2013 via mobile

Recently stayed overnight in a one bedroom apartment at the Lexicon and would recommend the property for those looking for accommodation close to the CBD. Booking and check in was straight forward and no issues with checking out. The room was clean, well furnished and had eveything you would need for an extended stay. Only two minor issues - there was only one lift as the other was damaged by recent flooding and if your room overlooks Ann Street there is a fair amount of traffic noise.

The big plus however is the location and views from the upper floors. There are any number of cafes, coffee bars and 7/11 stores within 100m. Woolworths supermarket is 200m away if you need to self cater for a longer stay. Queen Street Mall is about 250m away and it is less than 1/2km to the Riverside Centre with its bars and restaurant. The Treasury Casino and the bars & restaurants of Southbank are also within walking distance. The Gabba and Suncorp stadium are about a 10 minute taxi ride away.

The one bedroom apartment was quite large with a good sized bedroom (king size bed). The bathroom has large shower recess and laundry facilities are provided. The living area is also quite large, as is the balcony which provides good views across Brisbane.

Would recommend the Lexicon for those wanting good accommodation close to the CBD - either overnight or long term. At under $200 per night it also represents good value for money.

Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
OaksLexic0n, Manager at Oaks Lexicon Apartments, responded to this review, 21 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at Oaks Lexicon. I am pleased to hear that your enjoyed your stay and the apartment complex met your expectations.
Following the flood in late June the lift is currently undergoing repairs and there is the expectation that both lifts will be back in action by the end of July 2013 but do apologise for any inconvenience caused.
I look forward to welcoming you back to Oaks Lexicon or another one of our properties in the future.
Reviewed 16 July 2013

I recently rented out 2 apartments at oaks lexicon Brisbane for my 21st birthday. I had 7 people in one of the rooms for pre drinks before we went out on town. All of these people were added to the list at reception at sign in and it was accepted by the reception staff. There was only 3 people in the room all afternoon up until about 8:30 pm listening to some music and watching the rugby union. The other 4 arrived and we started drinking before we were going to head out at about 11 pm. We were definitely not quiet but I think it was pretty considerate considering it was 9:30 on a Saturday night In the middle of Brisbane. We had a knock on the door which I answered and I was clearly told this is our last warning and they would like us to turn off the music and shut the balcony door. Knowing we had all been drinking and lived hours away from Brisbane we immediately shut the door and turned the music off after the warning. It must have only been about 10 minutes later the same guy was up with a bodyguard saying we had the vacate where I explained our situation and that we had listened to instruction but still we were told to go or police would be called. We listened and cooperated and moved up to my other unit upstairs to place our things and think about what we were going to do. We didn't even have a chance to open the doors or turn the music on when we were given our "first and final warning" immediately, knowing we were going to get kicked out if we stayed here any longer we left straight away. This was a rude shock and left me pretty upset at the start of my birthday evening knowing most of my money paying for two rooms had been wasted. Apart from that a nice place to sit and read a book and go to sleep.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank nathancall
OaksLexic0n, Manager at Oaks Lexicon Apartments, responded to this review, 17 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback and I am very sorry to hear of your disappointing stay.
I have completed a full investigation into the one eviction that has been recorded within the last three weeks and records indicate that there had been a few noise complaints about an apartment on Saturday 5th July. As per Oaks Party Policy after the first warning, there were subsequent complaints about the same apartment and therefore security evcited the offending room. There is no record that a second apartment was also evicted.
I apologise for any inconvenience that may have been caused and ask that you contact the hotel direct to discuss the issue further should you require.
Reviewed 6 July 2013 via mobile

Cannot believe the service, after legitimately spending the nightly rate on two seperate rooms, they told us we had to leave or room without further notice.
After moving to our second room, we immediately were asked to leave without even turning on a spare power point, they knocked and asked us to leave our beds.
What a inconsiderate, non flexible and under managed place to spend your night in Brisbane

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Cale W
OaksLexic0n, Manager at Oaks Lexicon Apartments, responded to this review, 7 July 2013
I have completed a full investigation into the eviction that was recorded on Saturday night and records indicate that there had been a few noise complaints about an apartment. As per Oaks Party Policy after the first warning, there were subsequent complaints about the same apartment and therefore security evcited the offending room. There is no record that a second apartment was also evicted.
Sydney
Reviewed 3 July 2013

I always find it hard traveling with the kids as I don't like to have them in our room, but two hotel rooms are expensive. The Oaks Lexicon has great sized two bed apartments with nice city views.

It's not flash but clean and has all features you need. Tv in the main bedroom was great, wrap around balcony going off every room and kids room at the other end to the adults room.

The pool is outdoor but heated, so even though it was cold and rainy I could go swim (the pool is under cover) which was a great treat.

The hotel is near beautiful parks and is a five minute walk from the shops. The only problem is that the take away places were closed by 9pm when we got there and there is not much open nearby on the weekend if you do need a quick bite to eat. So if you are arriving late, bring some food and wine with you.

However, for an early dinner head down to eagle street and the river for some nice kid friendly bars.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
OaksLexic0n, Manager at Oaks Lexicon Apartments, responded to this review, 4 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your recent stay at Oaks Lexicon Apartments. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the apartment and facilities met your requirements. On behalf of my team, I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Oaks Lexicon next time that you visit Brisbane.
Cairns
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Arrived Friday, 21 June for 3 nights to be told that a flooding incident had resulted in the lifts not working since early that morning plus the tv didn't work during the stay (not good given my plan in staying there was to watch a lot of tv and just relax for a few days). Basically, had to climb stairs to my room during Friday, Saturday and Sunday (one lift started working Sunday night). Luckily, my room was not on the top floors as some people had to walk up 20 or more floors for almost the whole 3 days. Based on 3 to 4 trips up the stairs each day I am now ready to conquer Mt Everest.

On questioning the staff about a partial refund etc due to the clear inconveniences I was advised that was not possible as our rooms had been prepaid. Not sure why that matters? Issue was that due to Lions Test Match I think the room was about $700-$800 for the Saturday night and lesser the other two nights. When paying that price for a room and can't get tv and are required to trudge up flights of stairs clearly not acceptable.

Positives:

Rooms are nice
Staff were very nice and accommodating (only blemish being them telling me no discount or partial refund possible. I understand that Oaks head office are looking at sending an offer to our group which is how it should have been dealt with in the first instance)
Location is functional

Overall, recommend and would have given it 4 stars if not for the problems with the tv and the lifts, which to give the hotel credit, was to the most part, out of their control.

May I suggest your staff need clearer guidelines on partial refund policies as it was annoying to be initially told that what had been paid for but was unable to be supplied by the hotel (eg lifts and tv) should be the same price as having access to functioning lifts and tv etc.

That aside, staff did a good job in trying circumstances.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
OaksLexic0n, Manager at Oaks Lexicon Apartments, responded to this review, 25 June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. On behalf of Lexicon Apartments I would like to sincerely apologise once again for the inconvenience caused following the burst water pipe which resulted in the lifts being inoperable for 3 days.
I can confirm that Head Office have arranged for the rates for Friday, Saturday and Sunday to be discounted for the affected guests and please ask that you contact the hotel direct so that I can ensure that you have received your partial refund.
I noted your valuable comments regarding staff communication and do apologise for any confusion caused by the miscommunication.
My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to Oaks Lexicon in the future for a much more pleasurable stay.
Hotel Manager
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2013

Stayed at the Oaks for over two weeks and absolutely enjoyed my stay. Rooms were well spaced and clean. I found the staff to be extremely cooperative and friendly. The best part of the service was that the rooms were serviced and cleaned everyday which is usually not the case. Got a great view from the balcony as well. The only thing I would have preferred was a wifi which wasn't available unless you purchased / rented a dongle, else you need to use the LAN cable and have to pay for it too. Overall a good place to stay. I would recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
OaksLexic0n, Manager at Oaks Lexicon Apartments, responded to this review, 16 June 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide such positive feedback about your recent stay at Oaks Lexicon Apartments and I am pleased to hear that you had such a great stay.
I can confirm that Oaks as a company are looking at arranging Wi-Fi in all properties and we hope to offer this to our guests by the end of the year.
On behalf of my front desk and housekeeping team, we looking forward to welcoming you back to Oaks Lexicon Apartments next time you visit Brisbane.