“Nice, shame about the reception staff”

Oaks Lexicon Apartments
Ranked #67 of 168 Hotels in Brisbane
Reviewed 10 October 2013

This is an ok apart-hotel in central Brisbane, it is a little run down but still acceptable, the room I had was quite comfortable, when i first checked in I was happy to see the Foxtel box but then when I went to use it I was disappointed only 10 channels out of 200 are open for viewing, this must be the super basic package as most places in Brisbane I have stayed have the 'Platinum Accommodation' package which has every channel except for HD. Bed was very comfortable, firm but i like a firm bed, balcony was also great to look out over the west of the city. The reception staff, well just the two on Wed 9 Oct lunchtime were very rude as one of them whispered (loudly) a very rude comment about myself and the other one laughed, as I walked through the lobby, I guess this must be normal in a small town like Brisbane, very sad, they really should not be working in hospitality as they obviously do not want to be there nor do they care about their guests.
Overall the property is acceptable but the quality of the staff is very poor so I would not recommend this property to anyone, perhaps once there has been a clear out of reception staff, but no, I will not be back.

Room Tip: Higher the better as Ann St is very busy 24/7, anywhere below level 15 you will need ear plugs.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank wilrc1
OaksLexic0n, Manager at Oaks Lexicon Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2013

Thank you for providing your feedback about your recent stay at Oaks Lexicon and I am very disappointed to hear that you believe that the staff were being rude about you as we pride ourselves on our excellent customer service. I will address this issue immediately with all the staff as the behaviour you have reported is not acceptable.
Regarding the Foxtel, I note your comments and have passed them to our Head Office department who deal with the Foxtel agreement.
We are working on a painting refurbishment plan which will hopefully be rolled out across all the apartments in the next couple of months.
I thank you once again for your invaluable feedback and do hope that you choose to stay at another Oaks property again.

There are newer reviews for Oaks Lexicon Apartments

Reviewed 22 September 2013

I recently travelled to Brisbane for a family wedding so I booked three rooms at Oaks. There were issues from the moment we checked in. The girl at reception was unhelpful when I told her when I made the booking I had requested three rooms together and at least one to be ready early due to the wedding later that afternoon. After telling me there was no way the rooms would be ready she begrudgingly checked with housekeeping and found that actually two of the rooms were ready after all but there was no apology offered. Two of the rooms were located on the same floor and the third room did not become available until 2pm and was located on another floor. Overall I found the rooms to be old and tired. Our toaster/fridge/kettle did not work for the first 24 hours because of a power problem which was later identified and fixed by my husband even though I reported the problem. Housekeeping was very basic - the shower in particular looked like it hadn't been cleaned for a while. Staff were not very knowledgable about places to eat etc. around the city and we had to work this out for ourselves. While the position was reasonably good there is not much else going for this hotel. For the money we paid I'm sure there are better places around.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank mrsbell34
OaksLexic0n, Manager at Oaks Lexicon Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide your valuable feedback about your recent stay and I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay.
The standard check in time is 2pm and an early check in is not guaranteed due to possibly previous guests checking out late however I am pleased to hear that we were able check you in early into two of your rooms. Whilst strive to accommodate all requests unfortunately we were unable to allocate your 3 rooms on the same floor this time due to unavailability.
I have passed your comments onto the Housekeeping and Maintenance Manager and will arrange some orientation training with the newer members of staff regarding local interests and restaurants.

Reviewed 31 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed one night in a one bedroom apartment. It was spacious, and excellent value for money compared to a small hotel room, which would cost the same if not more at hotels in the same location. Had a great sized balcony with views of the city, and a king bed with modern furniture and full kitchen. Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Sien07
OaksLexic0n, Manager at Oaks Lexicon Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at Oaks Lexicon. I am pleased to hear that your enjoyed your stay and the apartment complex met your expectations.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Oaks Lexicon or another one of our properties in the future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 29 August 2013

The Oaks Lexicon is a good functional apartment hotel in the north of the Brisbane CBD. Easy walk to the rail station (and airport train) as well as an easy walk to anywhere in the CBD, including Southbank. Within 3 blocks, there are supermarkets, bottle shops and cafe's so you can easily use the self catering facilities.

The one bedroom apartment I stayed in was reasonably appointed, the bathroom could do with a spruce-up, but certainly a functional and pleasant place to stay.

Ann St can be noisy, so higher rooms would be quieter.

The queen sized bed was the two halves together variety with the usual problem that one side was soft, the other hard. A pet hate of mine, but nowhere near as bad as some.

Big plus for this location - Air-con can be switched off and the apartment layout allows for the doors to the balcony to be left wide-open overnight for natural fresh air.

Room Tip: Try for the highest floor possible
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at Oaks Lexicon. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the apartment complex met your expectations.

I appreciate your comment in relation to the bathrooms requiring a spruce up. This is certainly on the agenda to address with owners in the very near furure, as it is a matter of priorty to continue upgrading their investments, along with maintaining our 4.5 star rating we are commended by.

Reviewed 3 August 2013

AVOID Oaks at any cost. This place was ok when new but it's run down. The apartments are privately owned at rented out via Oaks. If the owner doesn't upgrade/maintain their apartments Oak don't seem to care. It was filthy. Mold, dust, worn dirty furniture and carpet. Marks on the wall. To the point it makes me feel ill. The on duty manager (with no offence) was very young with a smart attitude with no intention of listening to my complaints. Its very noisy , uncomfortable, dirty and the staff attitude is extremely poor. This place should be investigated by the tourism authorites as it gives Australia a bad name

Room Tip: Only way I would stay here is with written confirmation that the apartment has been refurbished and...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank BrisbaneNewDad
OaksLexic0n, Manager at Oaks Lexicon Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to comment about your recent stay and I am very disappointed to hear your comments about the standard of the apartment that you stayed in.
I would like to assure you that we are constantly maintaining all the units in the corporate letting pool with regular maintenance and furniture upgrades. We have a housekeeping team who pride themselves on a high cleaning standard and therefore I am surprised that the room was found to be dirty.
I have scheduled some re-training with the front desk staff and housekeeping staff and would love an opportunity to show you our usual high standard if you came to stay at Oaks Lexicon again.
Thank you once again for providing me such valuable feedback and I do apologise for any inconveience or disappointment caused.

Reviewed 20 July 2013

Recently stayed overnight in a one bedroom apartment at the Lexicon and would recommend the property for those looking for accommodation close to the CBD. Booking and check in was straight forward and no issues with checking out. The room was clean, well furnished and had eveything you would need for an extended stay. Only two minor issues - there was only one lift as the other was damaged by recent flooding and if your room overlooks Ann Street there is a fair amount of traffic noise.

The big plus however is the location and views from the upper floors. There are any number of cafes, coffee bars and 7/11 stores within 100m. Woolworths supermarket is 200m away if you need to self cater for a longer stay. Queen Street Mall is about 250m away and it is less than 1/2km to the Riverside Centre with its bars and restaurant. The Treasury Casino and the bars & restaurants of Southbank are also within walking distance. The Gabba and Suncorp stadium are about a 10 minute taxi ride away.

The one bedroom apartment was quite large with a good sized bedroom (king size bed). The bathroom has large shower recess and laundry facilities are provided. The living area is also quite large, as is the balcony which provides good views across Brisbane.

Would recommend the Lexicon for those wanting good accommodation close to the CBD - either overnight or long term. At under $200 per night it also represents good value for money.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
OaksLexic0n, Manager at Oaks Lexicon Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2013

Following the flood in late June the lift is currently undergoing repairs and there is the expectation that both lifts will be back in action by the end of July 2013 but do apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Reviewed 16 July 2013

I recently rented out 2 apartments at oaks lexicon Brisbane for my 21st birthday. I had 7 people in one of the rooms for pre drinks before we went out on town. All of these people were added to the list at reception at sign in and it was accepted by the reception staff. There was only 3 people in the room all afternoon up until about 8:30 pm listening to some music and watching the rugby union. The other 4 arrived and we started drinking before we were going to head out at about 11 pm. We were definitely not quiet but I think it was pretty considerate considering it was 9:30 on a Saturday night In the middle of Brisbane. We had a knock on the door which I answered and I was clearly told this is our last warning and they would like us to turn off the music and shut the balcony door. Knowing we had all been drinking and lived hours away from Brisbane we immediately shut the door and turned the music off after the warning. It must have only been about 10 minutes later the same guy was up with a bodyguard saying we had the vacate where I explained our situation and that we had listened to instruction but still we were told to go or police would be called. We listened and cooperated and moved up to my other unit upstairs to place our things and think about what we were going to do. We didn't even have a chance to open the doors or turn the music on when we were given our "first and final warning" immediately, knowing we were going to get kicked out if we stayed here any longer we left straight away. This was a rude shock and left me pretty upset at the start of my birthday evening knowing most of my money paying for two rooms had been wasted. Apart from that a nice place to sit and read a book and go to sleep.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank nathancall
OaksLexic0n, Manager at Oaks Lexicon Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback and I am very sorry to hear of your disappointing stay.
I have completed a full investigation into the one eviction that has been recorded within the last three weeks and records indicate that there had been a few noise complaints about an apartment on Saturday 5th July. As per Oaks Party Policy after the first warning, there were subsequent complaints about the same apartment and therefore security evcited the offending room. There is no record that a second apartment was also evicted.
I apologise for any inconvenience that may have been caused and ask that you contact the hotel direct to discuss the issue further should you require.