“Very nice hotel in a great location”

Ranked #32 of 159 Hotels in Brisbane
Canberra
“Very nice hotel in a great location”
Reviewed 12 December 2011

My wife and I stayed here for one night and were very happy with our room. The hotel is well appointed and very conveniently located directly across from South Bank. Staff were friendly with the only minor problem was when the concierge brought the wrong car from the car park, poor bloke. The standard room was huge with a balcony and was very modern and clean. The only complaint was that the train line ran directly behind the hotel and was quite noisy. We would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front of the hotel away from the train line.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jerden

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
  • Indonesian first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 21 November 2011

I've been to a few Mantra hotels and this one is one of their best - probably cause it's fairly new. First time I stayed there was for the 2006 Ashes and I was pleased to find out that the Australian Cricket team (along with the WAGS) was also staying there. Can't be a bad hotel if they're staying there.

Just like most Mantras I've been to this is also an apartment style hotel with a full kitchen, lounge and dining areas and a separate bedroom (if you get a one bedroom apartment). The hotel is located in the South Bank area and right across the road there are loads of restaurant. Also, there's a South Bank "swimming pool" area on the river bank.

Rooms are big and comfortable and very clean. Staff are really helpful as well. There is a restaurant and a bar although I haven't eaten there since 2008 so can't really comment anymore.

The open air swimming pool is really nice as well. All in all a really nice hotel worth staying at.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ch0gi
JNordkamp, Manager at Mantra South Bank, Brisbane, responded to this review, 23 November 2011
Dear Ch0gi,

Thanks for your fantastic review and for taking the time to post on Trip Advisor. You're right South Bank Parlands is an absolute must on your trip to Brisbane...

I am quitlety confident that Australian Cricket team will have a win at the upcoming test match.

Our Chef, and Stone Restaurant have just launched a brand new steak menu, which we are extremely excited about and our current Tapas menu contiunues to be quite popular. Stone Restaurant is open 6 nights a week (Monday - Saturday).

We look forward to welcoming you back to Mantra Soth Bank in the not-too-distant future.

Jeremy Nordkamp - Executive Assistant Manager
Manta South Bank, Brisbane
Bellingen, Australia
Reviewed 13 November 2011

Booked a one bedroom king city views apartment. Reception staff were courteous, friendly, helpful & tended to all our needs very promptly & professionally.
Special mention to reception duty manager Rebecca Watts for her exceptional service in handling our extra requirements we asked of her.
Room was spacious, very clean & suited our needs.
Hotel location is fantastic, so close to everything Brisbane city has to offer including Southbank just across the road & the CBD a short walking distance away.
We had the buffet breakfast which was somewhat average, mantra may look at improving this important component of the business. It was just not to the standard of other nearby hotels we have stayed at in the past. Still adequate & enjoyable though.
We paid $288 which included breakfast for 3 & then $30 on top for valet parking which initially I thought was steep untill I had to park in one of the cbd car parks one day which cost $75 for 3.5 hours. The hotel even let us leave the car at the hotel after checkout so we could explore the city for the rest of the day.
Overall a very enjoyable & pleasant experience that I expect from a hotel of this caliber.
We will be back & we will refer our opinion to friends & family.
Thankyou Mantra

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank shaolinkahn
Dear Shaolinka,

Thanks for taking the time to write about your recent stay at Mantra South Bank, Brisbane- we appreciate it and will be sharing with all of our staff, including Rebecca our Duty Manager.

We have taken your comments on board re breakfast and will review with our Executive Chef. As you touched on, our parking prices are quite competitive to the area and we pride ourselves on being flexible (where we can) to ensure our guest’s needs are met.

We're glad you enjoyed your stay and we do and look forward to welcoming you back again.

Jeremy Nordkamp - Executive Assistant Manager
Mantra South Bank - Brisbane
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 12 November 2011

This Southbank hotel was selected for its very close location to the conference centre and the Southbank eateries. I booked a room that claimed to be a basic studio apartment but it was really just a standard room with a sink and microwave added in the corner. There was no table and chairs for eating. The bathroom was spotless and the bed very comfortable. There was an adequate business desk. I discovered at check out that the bottle of drinking water beside the bed that I thought was complimentary was a $6 item from the minibar. The staff service was perfunctory at best.

Room Tip: don't pay more for the studio apartment
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
JNordkamp, Manager at Mantra South Bank, Brisbane, responded to this review, 14 November 2011
Dear maggie53,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us. We read our reviews closely and use them for both employee recognition and find ways on improving our product.

I will be sure to share your comments with the entire team so they can see how their attention to detail and great customer service pays off. We look forward to welcoming you back to Mantra South Bank.

Thanks again for your honest feedback.

Kind regards
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 10 November 2011

we arrived early in the morning at 6am after travelling from Brunei, the hotel was full but the staff made very effort to get us a room as as quickly as posisble. We enjoyed a wonderful breakfast in the restaurant; its windows open completely to the street allowing warm air and sunshine to flow in. Everyone gave us a cheery 'morning' and after about an hour we in the room.
The room was at the back, very quite except for a slight noise of trains occasionally, clean, well fitted out and a very comfortable bed.

Such a nice hotel with wondeful staff. The location may not suit everyone if they have meetings in the CBD.

Room Tip: the retaurants surrounding the hotel at Southbank are quite exspensive, there is a cheaper family st...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cumbo
Dear Cumbo,

We were pleased to hear you enjoyed your time with us at Mantra South Bank and wanted to thank you for your kind comments regarding our staff - we'll be sharing those with our team.

We also look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Jeremy Nordkamp
Executive Assistant Manager
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 9 November 2011

Stayed a couple of nights on business for a conference at the conference centre next door.

The room and bathroom were absolutely spotless, very comfortable with nice clean modern finishes. Toiletries/soap provide were nice too, my wife would have appreciated them more than me.

Location is perfect when visiting the Brisbane conference centre, just a couple of minutes walk away.

Lots of restaurants nearby and the waterfront too, so plenty of walks to do. I'd recommend walking down the river & crossing the foot bridge to have a walk around the university and botanic gardens. Quite scenic and green.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank rwps
Dear RWPS,

I certainly enjoyed reading your feedback from your recent stay and I thank you for taking the time to provide positive comments for which I will share with our team members here.

Our location is perfect for people who are attending an event at the Brisbane Convention Centre and for those who like to relax, with South Bank Park land just across the road. I would agree with you the walk along the Clem Jones Promenade is pretty amazing, now that most venues have reponed after the floods in January.

Queensland
Reviewed 6 November 2011

I was booked into the Mantra by an organisation I was doing a speech for at a function at the nearby Brisbane Convention Centre.

When I went to check in the lady at the front desk couldn't find my booking. I think the guy next to her found the booking (they were talking amongst themselves and didn't give me any info).

I showed her the booking confirmation number, but this didn't make any difference.

They told me all the rooms had been taken for that organisation and gave me a key to one of them. So I wandered up and went in - assuming it was my room. It was already occupied by a guy who was also attending the function - all his gear was spread around the room. He was out at that time.

The room had one bed. I'm pretty easy to please (!), but sleeping with a guy I don't know in a strange hotel room is probably a bit much.

I didn't have time to deal with the issue right away, so finished writing my speech and then went downstairs to try and sort it out.

The same Receptionist fobbed me off and simply wasn't interested in finding any sort of solution. (I didn't contact the Event organiser because she had enough issues to deal with with the event and didn't need my room issue being tossed into the mix.)

I went back up to the room, showered and dressed and left for the function. I left my bags in the room and left a note for the original occupier. He rang later and I arranged to pick the my bags up from the room (I had a key) after the event.

I then drove home - got home at 3.30 am exhausted.

Maybe there was a mix up with the rooms, maybe my room was taken - whatever. Taking an interest in actually finding out and finding a solution would have been the least you could do.

Really terrible service Mantra. Even if your staff don't care, maybe teach them to maybe just pretend??

Room Tip: Here's the tip to find a good room - find another hotel.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank TravelBugged2008
Dear Travelbugged2008,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, and I apologise that your experience with us in November was disappointing.

We take all guest feedback and guest service very seriously, and we're constantly improving all aspects of our service and facilities - your comments re reception have been noted and will be investigated. Without knowing all details of the problem, it sounds like we could have been handled the situation much better.

I would welcome the opportunity to speak to you directly, if you have time, please contact me directly so that we are able to discuss further.

I hope you will consider staying with us again so that we can demonstrate the level of service that we are known for. If you do plan to be in the area again, please ask for myself and I will personally oversee your stay.