“Convenient location”

Ranked #32 of 157 Hotels in Brisbane
canada
“Convenient location”
Reviewed 16 June 2012

At the middle of South Bank Parklands and Arts district, and close to train station. However, with occasional rains during our weeklong stay, I can´t keep wondering why there is no continuous covered walk linking all these buildings together. The routing can utilize the underground carparks actually, if not sky bridges. Anyway, this area is like a transit hub with trains, buses, ferries and foot bridges, so I venture out to a different neighborhood everyday, except when it rained hard.
The hotel is rather new, but the equipment seems to be close to expiry stage. E.g. the TV sometimes refused to go on, or switch off to the command of the remote control. I hated to call the technician frequently, so I did the switch at the plug instead. The kettle later developed its own mentality and decided to pop the lid when water was boiling. House keeping changed it. Some ceramic tiles in the bathroom seemed in need of fresh grouting. Maybe that is a reason for renovation work in other parts of the building. I suppose the new owner(?) will refresh all equipments. Because we stay for a week, we noticed the restaurant menu never changed, so were those of other restaurants in the whole area. This brought out the problem of food / vegetable availability in this part of Australia, in spite of near ideal climate for all sorts of vegetation. I understood the high fees the hotel would charge for wifi connection, but I was really surprised that my tablet was loaded with up to date messages on checking in. It was only later that I realized those were down loaded automatically when I was travelling on the train.

Room Tip: The room we had was probably too close to the train track as we woke up to the first train.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
  • Indonesian first
Reviewed 13 June 2012

Excellent location. So easy to get anywhere in central Brisbane and train station just along the road to go further if you haven't got a vehicle A++++

• Stayed June 2012
Leah F, General Manager at Mantra South Bank, Brisbane, responded to this review, 15 June 2012
Dear Hurritago,

Thank you for your great feedback. We're very lucky to be located in such a fantastic spot in Brisbane and very happy that we have such a great hotel surrounded by all the wonderful things to do in South Bank.

Thank you again for your comments and we hope to welcome you again soon.

Leah Feldmann
Australia
Reviewed 20 May 2012

I'm here in the middle of a 6 night stay. I'm attending a conference at the Brisbane convention centre so the proximity of the hotel is excellent. Only a few minutes walk which is nice. The hotel is about 5 minutes walk from the South Brisbane train station, and maybe a little further to the South Bank station - you can catch the direct Airtrain from the airport, which is a much cheaper option than a taxi.

After reading reviews of the noise from the train line at the back of the hotel, I booked a River view one bedroom apartment through the conference booker. The furnishings and facilities are pretty standard for Mantra (I've stayed in the Perth and Darwin Mantras), modern, but nothing extraordinary.

The bathroom seems big, so I wonder why they went with the decision to build the ol' "shower in the tiny bathtub" option, rather than a stall shower. It is quite narrow, with a fold out glass door that reaches 1/2 the length of the bath, so water does end up on the floor a bit. Be careful getting out to avoid slipping. I personally found it a bit hard to wash my hair in the shower.

Bedroom had a queen bed - bit hard for me, plenty of pillows though. My one complaint about the bedroom is that the curtains do not completely block out morning sun (which the hotel side faces) There was a significant gap which I couldn't close.

Noise this morning from the street was bad. I think it was a garbage truck or something similar that woke me at 5am. No double glazing on the windows.

I had breakfast included in my room rate. Pretty basic, but I liked the bircher muesli.

Internet access is by provided cable in the room, with wifi in other areas of the hotel (lobby and mezzanine level). In my experience very expensive. 55c a minute, $27.50 a day, $110 for 5 days!

Haven't had much dealings with staff, but so far polite. Room tidy comes before 9am which is too early in my opinion, but they did a good job.

I purposely stayed here as it was the newer option from the last time I stayed at Southbank. I might stay here again because of the convenience for conferences, but maybe I'd look at the Rydges as well. For the price, I'm a little disappointed.

Room Tip: I'd been told rooms on the river side were quieter...I can't compare. Street noise is reaso...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank kittycat888
Dear kittycat888,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know your feedback. The team and I are very happy that you enjoyed staying with us and that you will choose to stay with us in the future if you're after a spacious apartment rather than just a hotel room.

When you do stay again you'll notice we have wi-fi in all our guest rooms and the price per day has been reduced plus the system has been upgraded. Something our guests have asked for and we have delivered on. We're also in the process of working through a soft refurbishment in our guest rooms so if we're in any way similar to our other CBD Mantra hotels then this will make a difference!

Until then take care and we look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to the best part of Brisbane - South Bank!

Leah Feldmann
Sydney
Reviewed 20 May 2012

I last visited Brisbane 8 years ago and was blown away by the change when I arrived this week. The Mantra is perfectly placed on the South bank- amongst an amazing array of gorgeous, relaxed restaurants and cafes. There are beautiful walking and cycle tracks along the river. The art gallery and convention centre are very close by and the whole area has a relaxed happy vibe. The weekend markets were an added bonus-no junk in site! My room had a wonderful view over the river (ask for the highest possible room) and was immaculately clean and comfortable. I love to have a small kitchenette when I am staying away from home- and everything I needed was supplied. This side of the river is definitely the place to stay. The rooms are peaceful but everything is on your doorstep.

• Stayed May 2012
Sydney
Reviewed 19 May 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights for conference at convention centre. Arrived and quickly had to get ready for an important function. Came out of shower and found water had leaked all over bathroom floor and also outside bathroom and even under wall of bathroom to bedroom carpet. Called housekeeping who were kind and apologetic. They then call duty manager who came to look, I could not believe my ears when he told me there was nothing wrong with the bathroom and I must have flooded the bathroom!!! I just said " you have got to be kidding?" I didn't ask for a change of room because I as too busy but he then said "and if you think I am going to change your room I can't because we are full. So they then had to put dryers in my room to dry the carpet while I was working and had to come back in the evening to a freezing cold damp room.No apology from management all. Worst service ever. Very expensive for a faulty room and probably only 3 star at best-lots of small thing -charge for Internet very high, room service quality poor and was sent wrong breakfast prior to a busy morning of meetings. For a business hotel, this is just not good enough. final straw was when wrong breakfast was sent, I had 3 different people tell me that the main would be free, not that I asked. When I went to check out, and saw it on my bill, they said, who told you that? And he then seemed to imply that I was making it up. The manager was unbelievably rude about it. Why would i make up a story in my busy day to save my workplace $10 off breakfast? Don't stay here if you want good service, a decent room or even just a place to work and sleep . For the same price, stay at the Sofitel or one of the boutique hotels, even if it means more travel to the convention centre.

Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank Luv2travelOzzie
JNordkamp, Manager at Mantra South Bank, Brisbane, responded to this review, 20 May 2012
Dear Luv2travelOzzie,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, and I apologise that your experience with us was disappointing.

We take all guest feedback very seriously, and we're constantly improving all aspects of our service and facilities - your comments re Service have been noted and will be investigated.

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your comments further in person, please contact the hotel direct and ask for Jeremy Nordkamp.

I hope you will consider staying with us again so that we can demonstrate the level of service that we are known for. If you do plan to be in the area again, please contact me direct and l will personally oversee your stay.

Kind regards,
Executive Assistant Manager - Mantra South Bank, Brisbane
Noosa, Australia
Reviewed 13 May 2012 via mobile

We just spent weekend in Bris and picked the hotel for location and expected the tariff would of provided a reasonable standard...well it didn't, very average everthing from room appointment to staff service...give it a wide berth

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank StephenTKidd
Dear StephenTKidd,

It's never our intention for guests to leave our hotel unsatisfied and I sincerely apologise that we have failed to impress on this visit.

We encourage all of our in-house guests to contact our reception team (or Front Office Manager if reception are unable to help) whilst in house if they have any concerns during their stay, so we can rectify any problems you may have.

I am unclear of the exact concerns that you had during your stay and would welcome the opportunity to discuss them with you in person - If you would like you can contact the hotel direct and ask for Jeremy Nordkamp.

StephenTKidd, thank you once again and I hope that you will choose to stay with us again so that you can experience the great service that we are known for.

Kind regards,
Executive Assistant Manager - Mantra South Bank, Brisbane
Antarctica
Reviewed 12 May 2012

Positives; spacious one-bedroom self-contained apartment, clean carpets and generally well maintained (apart from numerous chips in the bathtub), great location if you want to be near South Bank and the Convention Centre.
Negatives; over $300/night is pricey and worse still is the noise from the adjacent railway lines. If you're a early-morning person then you'd probably be ok (train frequency seems to pick-up after 5am) or if you can sleep with earplugs in.
It's seems a foolish way to save money by not double-glazing the windows in the rooms facing the railway line when the hotel was built. The river facing rooms are undoubtedly quieter, but while I can understand paying extra for a view, to pay extra for a quieter room is not acceptable as that should be a basic amenity. As a result, the negatives outweigh the positives and a 4+ rating becomes 2 (at least for the railway facing rooms).

Room Tip: Ensure you don't get a room facing the railway line.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank iancc
Dear iancc,

Thank you for your candid feedback regarding your recent stay with us - I have passed on your comments RE: ‘cleanliness and well maintained’ on to our Housekeeping and Maintenance Manger, as they and their teams work very hard to ensure our product is well looked after. We are currently working through planned maintenance programme in our bathrooms.

The hotel has rooms that face the city and the west. The western side does have the railway line running behind the hotel. The windows on the western side are double glazed to reduce noise. Should you choose to stay with us again, please contact me directly and I will be happy to upgrade you free of charge to a one bedroom apartment facing the city/east.

Thank you again for the feedback iancc - We hope that you choose to stay with us again.

Jeremy Nordkamp
Executive Assistant Manager - Mantra South Bank, Brisbane.