Mantra South Bank, Brisbane
Ranked #33 of 169 Hotels in Brisbane
Reviewed 8 March 2013

This hotel is very well positioned for concerts at QPAC or the conservatorium, Southbank and its many restaurants, the art galleries and a walk over the bridge to the city. Valet parking made arrival quite effortless and the reception staff were professional and friendly. Unfortunately our room had a strong odour from the newly laid carpet, but we were promptly given another, also recently recarpeted and looking good. I think we enjoyed an upgrade moving to a small studio room on the front of the hotel with a perfect north aspect looking out on the well treed streetscape. I would recommend paying more for a front room as the first room at the back looked over the railway tracks and there is something inherently depressing about that kind of outlook. The rooms are modern and comfortable, not luxurious but pleasantly decorated and well serviced.

The building is modern and architecturally interesting with large, high ceilinged space for reception, bar and restaurant with plenty of marble finishes. The pool cantilevered above the footpath is a quirky touch. We were allowed to leave the car in the carpark a few extra hours after checkout, a nice touch. Overall, good value.

Room Tip: Just be aware that the building backs onto train tracks.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Leah F, General Manager at Mantra South Bank, Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2013

Dear GoldCoastDavid,

Thank you for your feedback and your commentary on the interesting architecture of our hotel - it is stylish and modern and sits perfectly within the arts district of South Bank.

We're very happy that you also noted some of our service touch points such as extending our guest parking to help you enjoy your stay even longer with little stress and we're pleased you found our hotel to be of good value.

We hope to see you again soon!

Leah Feldmann

Write a ReviewReviews (1,884)

Reviewed 2 March 2013 via mobile

I stayed here because it was near our office. If there's a next time I'll be looking for something else, even if it is farther away. My clothing felt damp...the stuff still in my suitcase that is, and the entire floor smelled musty. There were also no electrical outlets accessible near the bed which I always find really annoying as I use my phone as an alarm. I'd advise against staying here.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank GHustad
Leah F, General Manager at Mantra South Bank, Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2013

Dear GHustad,

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback and my apologies you did not enjoy your stay with us.

Unfortunately the Brisbane weather has been terrible over the last several weeks and everything is starting to feel damp everywhere. We have been advising our guests to keep their air-conditioning on and to not open their windows and this has stopped the feeling of dampness that you have mentioned.

I do hope you come back to stay with us again and hopefully next time Mother Nature takes it easy on Brisbane and lets the sun shine!

Please feel free to give me a call so that next time you do stay with us we can ensure everything is at its usual excellent standard.

Reviewed 27 February 2013

We stayed for the night to see a show at the Lyric Theatre. The position is perfect for this, and they have a pre theatre dinner menu as well. A short walk to the theatre and a nice stroll home. The room was a King room the bed was marvellous and the pillows were great. A nice view of the Southbank precinct and the goodies basket though we didn't eat any was lovely, so many nice little treats to indulge in if you choose to. The room was very spacious and the check in and out was no problem at all, in fact we were able to check in several hours early which was an added bonus.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Kimkath61,

Thank you for your lovely feedback and we are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and our fantastic location!

We hope to welcome you back to stay with us again soon!

Reviewed 26 February 2013

We had a normal hotel room, not a studio or apartment, on the back of the hotel, so overlooking the rail lines and the 'bus chute'. Room is perfectly fine, comfy bed, excellent shower, desk is a bit small but does the job. Bit battered in places, but not much. Excellent spot near QPAC and the convention centre. close to a rivercat stop, there always seemed to be cabs waiting whenever we wanted one, and plenty of restaurants near by. Downside is the railway line. Whilst the window opens the noise from the trains and the buses will drown out the TV or talking on the phone. With the window closed you can hear the trains, but muted. A light sleeper may not be happy. One other odd thing: we were charged $3 for what seemed to be a fee to take the room service tray away!

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the front ... have no idea how noisy that may be on a weekend when the area is...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business

Dear Pointyhead_10,

Reviewed 25 February 2013

Where do I start! Price - ok, so I get that you are in inner city Brisbane. But, as a hole the rooms are tiny (I would hate to large as I wouldn't fit in the bathroom to go to the toilet) , you are located right Next to the train line, so all you hear late at night and first thing is the train tracks (wouldn't have minded if I had've known, as I would have upgraded to a city view).

The moment arrived we were greeted by a rather rude young lady (probably the worst part of our stay). Not a great way to start your night. Then when asked if it was possible for a late check out, all we heard was 11 am. They weren't at capacity and she wasn't even willing to talk about options. Wouldn't have minded to have been offered a day room rate.

On checkout, bags were left at reception. I asked to borrow an umbrella unfortunately for me they were 'all out', so I returned later that afternoon absolutely drenched. There was no offer of a towel or a place to dry off, just left in the foyer with wet hair, wet clothes waiting (the same rude young lady at reception fobbed me off to the concierge).

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank TripawayMikel
Leah F, General Manager at Mantra South Bank, Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2013

Dear TripawayMikel,

Thank you for letting me know your feedback and I apologise you did not receive our usual friendly, warm and helpful standard of service which affected your entire stay with us.

We spend a great deal of time ensuring our guests are well looked after as you can see from our reviews however it seems on this occasion one of our team members let us all down.

If possible, can you please contact me so we can discuss further and I can get some further detail.

Reviewed 24 February 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights beginning of February. We found the location very good as there was many restaurants within walking distance. It was about a 15 minute walk into the city centre. The room was very comfortable after a long day travelling out and about. Especially the kitchenette facilities in the room. On the downside the rooms haven't been maintained up to a great standard esp in the bathroom. However it didn't effect our stay and I would stay here again for its location.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Leah F, General Manager at Mantra South Bank, Brisbane, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2013

Dear Kiwilass,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know your feedback from your stay with us recently. We agree we are in the best location in Brisbane and have a great product to back up our location.

We believe we have great rooms that are spacious and comfortable however just for your information we are in the process of completing a soft refurbishment of our guest rooms which will lift the overall look. Our restaurant is also about to undergo a makeover which we're very excited about.

Thank you again and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 21 February 2013

I was pleasantly surprised by all this hotel had to offer and found it excellent value for money. I stayed in a city view room which offered a nice view across the river to Brisbane CBD. The hotel was very clean and offered everything a traveller could ask for. Reception staff were efficient and nice, the building had a nice open feel to it and the bar and restaurant area were also both very attractive and inviting. Located amongst the bars and restaurants of South Bank there were many eating options mere moments from the front door. Although I had planned to go into the CBD during my stay there was no need to as everything I needed was within close walking distance. The train to the airport was also an easy one block walk from the front doors.

We ate breakfast at the hotel restaurant and found it to be good value also. Breakfast was very well presented and offered a large variety of options. The only downside to the stay was that unfortunately due to recent heavy rains causing damage the pool area was closed.

In all a very positive experience. This hotel is definitely on my list of places to revisit one day and I will recommend it to others.

Room Tip: The city view rooms don't cost much more but were worth the extra expense.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Blackwater165

Dear Blackwater165,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback regarding our hotel facilities, location and our team members. We're very proud of our hotel and are always working to improve our service and facilities so it is great to hear such positive comments from our guests.

Thank you again and take care.