I stayed in a city view studio for three nights in March while attending a conference at the Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre (BCEC). Check in was smooth and efficient. However, on check in, my room had a couple of annoying maintenance issues (see below) which a good hotel should have identified and resolved through housekeeping and maintenance checks rather than by the guest. I have rated the hotel down based on this. To the hotels credit all issues were addressed promptly.
I was allocated room 607 on the sixth floor. Unfortunately, it was directly opposite two large airconditioning vents and the do not disturb/ make up room door hangers constantly flew off onto the floor. I had to wedge them under my door. The room was large, clean and modern.
Location - around the corner from BCEC, short walk to QPAC and the air train to Brisbane airport.
Excellent choice of local restaurants in the street the hotel is located on and the in front on the riverside.
Taxi rank at the front door.
Nice city and river view from 6th floor room.
Large room with a good sized desk.
Small kitchenette with well stocked mini bar, kettle, microwave etc.
In room safe battery low on check in. Unable to set password on check in. Notified management and resolved next day.
Tv remote did not work on check in due to flat batteries. Contacted front desk and they came straight up and replaced it.
The king bed was very hard and was to singles joined together. As a result the bed edges running down the centre of the bed meant you had to stay to the sides. I left a note for housekeeping to resolve with a bed topper which they did the next day. After that it was fine.
The room smelt like burnt oil and there was a black sooty patch on the ceiling in front of the airconditioning outlet. There had been an attempt to clean it but it was still quite noticeable.
The hotel in room information mentions a spa located in the lobby of the hotel. When I called to book, reception told me it closed down six months earlier. You would think they would have updated the hotel information to reflect this.
5-10 minute wait to collect my stored luggage as the concierge was not at the counter and the front desk said they could not leave the desk unattended. Not much help when you have a flight to catch.
If I was attending another event at BCEC I would consider staying at the Mantra. However, based on this experience I might try Rydges which is directly across the road and backs onto the BCEC.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mantra South Bank is conveniently located on Grey Street, opposite the Brisbane Convention & Exhibition Centre and within walking distance of several major tourist attractions including the Queensland Performing Arts Complex, State Art Gallery, Museum and South Bank Parklands. Public transport, including buses, trains and the famous Brisbane River City-Cats are all within walking distance of Mantra South Bank, ensuring all that Brisbane has on offer is right at your doorstep. The hotel offers a range of accommodation options such as hotel rooms, studios, one and two bedroom apartments. All rooms have been stylishly designed to offer guests maximum comfort and feature air-conditioning, mini-bar, plunger coffee & tea making facilities, direct-dial ISDN telephones, voice-mail, broadband internet access (fees apply), LCD televisions and DVD player, in-house movies and personal in-room safes. All Studio rooms have a kitchenette and all apartments feature a fully equipped kitchen, laundry facilities and private balconies, some with city views. The property offers guests an array of professional services and facilities including a 24 hour reception desk, 24 hour concierge, 24 hour room service, on site Stone Restaurant & Bar, gym, pool and spa. Small conferences for up to 48 delegates can be catered for in 'The Boardroom' or 'Meeting Room' and for larger functions, Stone Restaurant & Bar can cater for up to 150 guests. Combined with the close proximity to Brisbane's major attractions, Mantra South Bank is the ideal choice for business and leisure travellers looking for comfort and convenience. **THIS IS A NON SMOKING HOTEL** Business Facilities Small conferences for up to 48 delegates can be catered for in 'The Boardroom' or 'Meeting Room' and for larger functions, Mantra South Bank's Stone Restaurant & Bar can cater for up to 150 guests. Every guest room has Broadband internet connection and secretarial support can be arranged. Fax and copying services are also available for an additional fee. Check In Instructions: (hours of operation) Check in 1400hrs Check out 1000hrs Check in is from 2pm, if you do arrive earlier we can store your luggage for you. Check out time is 10am. You will be required to leave either a credit card imprint or a $250 refundable security deposit along with photo ID on check in. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Ctrip TA, Agoda, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Mantra South Bank, Brisbane reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mantra South Bank Brisbane
- Mantra South Bank Hotel Brisbane