“Good position, some issues.”

Mantra South Bank, Brisbane
Ranked #32 of 160 Hotels in Brisbane
Melbourne, Australia
“Good position, some issues.”
Reviewed 13 March 2013 via mobile

I stayed in a city view studio for three nights in March while attending a conference at the Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre (BCEC). Check in was smooth and efficient. However, on check in, my room had a couple of annoying maintenance issues (see below) which a good hotel should have identified and resolved through housekeeping and maintenance checks rather than by the guest. I have rated the hotel down based on this. To the hotels credit all issues were addressed promptly.

I was allocated room 607 on the sixth floor. Unfortunately, it was directly opposite two large airconditioning vents and the do not disturb/ make up room door hangers constantly flew off onto the floor. I had to wedge them under my door. The room was large, clean and modern.

The good:
Location - around the corner from BCEC, short walk to QPAC and the air train to Brisbane airport.
Excellent choice of local restaurants in the street the hotel is located on and the in front on the riverside.
Taxi rank at the front door.
Nice city and river view from 6th floor room.
Large room with a good sized desk.
Small kitchenette with well stocked mini bar, kettle, microwave etc.

The bad:
In room safe battery low on check in. Unable to set password on check in. Notified management and resolved next day.
Tv remote did not work on check in due to flat batteries. Contacted front desk and they came straight up and replaced it.
The king bed was very hard and was to singles joined together. As a result the bed edges running down the centre of the bed meant you had to stay to the sides. I left a note for housekeeping to resolve with a bed topper which they did the next day. After that it was fine.
The room smelt like burnt oil and there was a black sooty patch on the ceiling in front of the airconditioning outlet. There had been an attempt to clean it but it was still quite noticeable.
The hotel in room information mentions a spa located in the lobby of the hotel. When I called to book, reception told me it closed down six months earlier. You would think they would have updated the hotel information to reflect this.
5-10 minute wait to collect my stored luggage as the concierge was not at the counter and the front desk said they could not leave the desk unattended. Not much help when you have a flight to catch.

If I was attending another event at BCEC I would consider staying at the Mantra. However, based on this experience I might try Rydges which is directly across the road and backs onto the BCEC.

Stayed March 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
  • Indonesian first
Gold Coast
Reviewed 8 March 2013

This hotel is very well positioned for concerts at QPAC or the conservatorium, Southbank and its many restaurants, the art galleries and a walk over the bridge to the city. Valet parking made arrival quite effortless and the reception staff were professional and friendly. Unfortunately our room had a strong odour from the newly laid carpet, but we were promptly given another, also recently recarpeted and looking good. I think we enjoyed an upgrade moving to a small studio room on the front of the hotel with a perfect north aspect looking out on the well treed streetscape. I would recommend paying more for a front room as the first room at the back looked over the railway tracks and there is something inherently depressing about that kind of outlook. The rooms are modern and comfortable, not luxurious but pleasantly decorated and well serviced.

The building is modern and architecturally interesting with large, high ceilinged space for reception, bar and restaurant with plenty of marble finishes. The pool cantilevered above the footpath is a quirky touch. We were allowed to leave the car in the carpark a few extra hours after checkout, a nice touch. Overall, good value.

Room Tip: Just be aware that the building backs onto train tracks.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Leah F, General Manager at Mantra South Bank, Brisbane, responded to this review, 12 May 2013
Dear GoldCoastDavid,

Thank you for your feedback and your commentary on the interesting architecture of our hotel - it is stylish and modern and sits perfectly within the arts district of South Bank.

We're very happy that you also noted some of our service touch points such as extending our guest parking to help you enjoy your stay even longer with little stress and we're pleased you found our hotel to be of good value.

We hope to see you again soon!

Chicago
Reviewed 2 March 2013 via mobile

I stayed here because it was near our office. If there's a next time I'll be looking for something else, even if it is farther away. My clothing felt damp...the stuff still in my suitcase that is, and the entire floor smelled musty. There were also no electrical outlets accessible near the bed which I always find really annoying as I use my phone as an alarm. I'd advise against staying here.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank GHustad
Leah F, General Manager at Mantra South Bank, Brisbane, responded to this review, 4 March 2013
Dear GHustad,

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback and my apologies you did not enjoy your stay with us.

Unfortunately the Brisbane weather has been terrible over the last several weeks and everything is starting to feel damp everywhere. We have been advising our guests to keep their air-conditioning on and to not open their windows and this has stopped the feeling of dampness that you have mentioned.

I do hope you come back to stay with us again and hopefully next time Mother Nature takes it easy on Brisbane and lets the sun shine!

Please feel free to give me a call so that next time you do stay with us we can ensure everything is at its usual excellent standard.

Queensland Australia
Reviewed 27 February 2013

We stayed for the night to see a show at the Lyric Theatre. The position is perfect for this, and they have a pre theatre dinner menu as well. A short walk to the theatre and a nice stroll home. The room was a King room the bed was marvellous and the pillows were great. A nice view of the Southbank precinct and the goodies basket though we didn't eat any was lovely, so many nice little treats to indulge in if you choose to. The room was very spacious and the check in and out was no problem at all, in fact we were able to check in several hours early which was an added bonus.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Kimkath61,

Thank you for your lovely feedback and we are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and our fantastic location!

We hope to welcome you back to stay with us again soon!

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 26 February 2013

We had a normal hotel room, not a studio or apartment, on the back of the hotel, so overlooking the rail lines and the 'bus chute'. Room is perfectly fine, comfy bed, excellent shower, desk is a bit small but does the job. Bit battered in places, but not much. Excellent spot near QPAC and the convention centre. close to a rivercat stop, there always seemed to be cabs waiting whenever we wanted one, and plenty of restaurants near by. Downside is the railway line. Whilst the window opens the noise from the trains and the buses will drown out the TV or talking on the phone. With the window closed you can hear the trains, but muted. A light sleeper may not be happy. One other odd thing: we were charged $3 for what seemed to be a fee to take the room service tray away!

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the front ... have no idea how noisy that may be on a weekend when the area is...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business

Dear Pointyhead_10,
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Where do I start! Price - ok, so I get that you are in inner city Brisbane. But, as a hole the rooms are tiny (I would hate to large as I wouldn't fit in the bathroom to go to the toilet) , you are located right Next to the train line, so all you hear late at night and first thing is the train tracks (wouldn't have minded if I had've known, as I would have upgraded to a city view).

The moment arrived we were greeted by a rather rude young lady (probably the worst part of our stay). Not a great way to start your night. Then when asked if it was possible for a late check out, all we heard was 11 am. They weren't at capacity and she wasn't even willing to talk about options. Wouldn't have minded to have been offered a day room rate.

On checkout, bags were left at reception. I asked to borrow an umbrella unfortunately for me they were 'all out', so I returned later that afternoon absolutely drenched. There was no offer of a towel or a place to dry off, just left in the foyer with wet hair, wet clothes waiting (the same rude young lady at reception fobbed me off to the concierge).

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank TripawayMikel
Leah F, General Manager at Mantra South Bank, Brisbane, responded to this review, 26 February 2013
Dear TripawayMikel,

Thank you for letting me know your feedback and I apologise you did not receive our usual friendly, warm and helpful standard of service which affected your entire stay with us.

We spend a great deal of time ensuring our guests are well looked after as you can see from our reviews however it seems on this occasion one of our team members let us all down.

If possible, can you please contact me so we can discuss further and I can get some further detail.

Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 24 February 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights beginning of February. We found the location very good as there was many restaurants within walking distance. It was about a 15 minute walk into the city centre. The room was very comfortable after a long day travelling out and about. Especially the kitchenette facilities in the room. On the downside the rooms haven't been maintained up to a great standard esp in the bathroom. However it didn't effect our stay and I would stay here again for its location.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Leah F, General Manager at Mantra South Bank, Brisbane, responded to this review, 24 February 2013
Dear Kiwilass,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know your feedback from your stay with us recently. We agree we are in the best location in Brisbane and have a great product to back up our location.

We believe we have great rooms that are spacious and comfortable however just for your information we are in the process of completing a soft refurbishment of our guest rooms which will lift the overall look. Our restaurant is also about to undergo a makeover which we're very excited about.

Thank you again and we hope to see you again soon.