This was our second stop in Australia and a change of gear after 5 nights in Port Douglas.
We booked a studio apartment for 5 nights, which turned out to be spacious and nicely decorated. However, we feel it didn’t really qualify as an apartment with the random collection of utensils supplied. We had a toaster and kettle, but no cutlery and a couple of glasses and a mini bar. So it was more like a hotel than an apartment, which we didn’t mind but it’s worth noting as we were expecting more facilities.
The location is great for nightlife with an extensive collection of bars and restaurants right on your doorstep. South Bank has a great buzz with all the restaurants advertised as serving from 12.00 till late. Be advised, “late,” as it turns out is 9.30 PM and we were nearly caught out with this on our first night. We didn’t have a weekend in Brisbane so the restaurants might have stayed open a little later. We can thoroughly recommend Ahmets Turkish restaurant (http://www.ahmets.com/restaurant.html) literally over the road from the hotel. It was packed every night, which is always a fair sign of good food. We ate there twice and were very impressed. Lovely staff and a fun atmosphere!
The hotel is a 20/25 minute walk to the shopping centre of Brisbane, but it’s a pleasant walk along the river and over the bridge. You can always break it up by stopping off at the Brisbane Eye. I seem to remember a 12 minute ride costs about $15 AUD pp.
We arranged a tour to Australia Zoo through the hotel ($234 AUD for 2 people). This was handled quickly and efficiently by the Concierge (Cameron) and would have no hesitation in recommending this service.
We didn’t feel the bar in the hotel was that over priced and you’d be paying around $4 AUD for a large glass of beer and about $7 AUD for a glass of wine.
Towards the end of our holiday, we were going down to reception in the lift when in walked David Blunkett guided in by his partner. I didn’t get chance to ask if it was on expenses.
As I said I quite liked the hotel and location. As long as you are aware of a few things it’s a great place to stay if you’re in Brisbane.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mantra South Bank is conveniently located on Grey Street, opposite the Brisbane Convention & Exhibition Centre and within walking distance of several major tourist attractions including the Queensland Performing Arts Complex, State Art Gallery, Museum and South Bank Parklands. Public transport, including buses, trains and the famous Brisbane River City-Cats are all within walking distance of Mantra South Bank, ensuring all that Brisbane has on offer is right at your doorstep. The hotel offers a range of accommodation options such as hotel rooms, studios, one and two bedroom apartments. All rooms have been stylishly designed to offer guests maximum comfort and feature air-conditioning, mini-bar, plunger coffee & tea making facilities, direct-dial ISDN telephones, voice-mail, broadband internet access (fees apply), LCD televisions and DVD player, in-house movies and personal in-room safes. All Studio rooms have a kitchenette and all apartments feature a fully equipped kitchen, laundry facilities and private balconies, some with city views. The property offers guests an array of professional services and facilities including a 24 hour reception desk, 24 hour concierge, 24 hour room service, on site Stone Restaurant & Bar, gym, pool and spa. Small conferences for up to 48 delegates can be catered for in 'The Boardroom' or 'Meeting Room' and for larger functions, Stone Restaurant & Bar can cater for up to 150 guests. Combined with the close proximity to Brisbane's major attractions, Mantra South Bank is the ideal choice for business and leisure travellers looking for comfort and convenience. **THIS IS A NON SMOKING HOTEL** Business Facilities Small conferences for up to 48 delegates can be catered for in 'The Boardroom' or 'Meeting Room' and for larger functions, Mantra South Bank's Stone Restaurant & Bar can cater for up to 150 guests. Every guest room has Broadband internet connection and secretarial support can be arranged. Fax and copying services are also available for an additional fee. Check In Instructions: (hours of operation) Check in 1400hrs Check out 1000hrs Check in is from 2pm, if you do arrive earlier we can store your luggage for you. Check out time is 10am. You will be required to leave either a credit card imprint or a $250 refundable security deposit along with photo ID on check in. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Odigeo and Agoda so you can book your Mantra South Bank, Brisbane reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mantra South Bank Brisbane
- Mantra South Bank Hotel Brisbane