“Middle of the Road”
Review of Snooze Inn

Snooze Inn
Ranked #151 of 169 Hotels in Brisbane
Reviewed 7 July 2009

Stayed here for 3 nights on business in June 2009. Had to wait for 10-15 minutes outside when I arrived as the receptionist had locked everything up ('back in 30 minutes' sign on the door). Was given card entry for the door and electricity - the card required repeated swipes to get it working.

Quite small room and shower, excellent furnishings including pillows, bedspreads and desk with lamp. Immaculately clean. Unfortunately the shower screen for the shower had come off at some stage so water would splash onto the floor whenever having a shower - this was very annoying. Also, the water did not heat up complete for the first couple of days. It was warm enough to be comfortable, but just didn't have that extra heat, perhaps because of the thermostat setting. Good a/c/heater.

One internet computer was working.

The area, while a little dodgy, is nothing really to worry about, although it would probably get busy late on a Friday or Saturday night.

I agree with a previous reviewer who said this is more a high-end backpackers than a budget hotel. 2 1/2 stars, although if the price decreased to perhaps $70-75 a night, that rating would definitely increase.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank jem_lonewolf

Reviewed 1 June 2009

This place is nothing like it appears on its site. The room was really small with the bed pushed up against the wall. The bathroom was tiny, there was only one chair, no room for luggage, no hair dryer, no iron and not a single coathanger in the cupboard. It was very stuffy and also noisy in the morning. We asked for a refund on the other 3 nights we had booked. We found a large comfortable serviced apartment in the same area for the same price. The location is good but we would never recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Couderc
Reviewed 3 May 2009

Was only in Brisbane for one night and needed a quiet place to stay. From the website I chose Snooze Inn as it seemed quiet and simple...WRONG! Me and my partner were literally kept up all night by people on the street, in the corridor and in other rooms. The room was definately simple, didn't even have a window. I would rather stay in a backpackers dorm room than stay there again. I work for Qantas and do tend to travel a bit and I have never had a worse night in a hotel.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank dangalligan
Reviewed 12 January 2009

Place is small boutique style rooms but it is very clean, bed is very comfortable, ac works great and staff are very friendly and helpful. Breakfast isnt much as its just muffins/apples in fridge and no milk available for coffee's downstairs kitchen. However the plus side is free internet.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank li7nutter
Reviewed 27 November 2008

I have never been to brisbane so i was very unfamiliar with the fortitude valley area. I was only staying for 3 days and was looking for quite a cheap place to stay, nothing fancy as im not a very particular person. After booking in the Snooze Inn for $109 a night and checking out the website + other opinions regarding this inn, i assumed it would be fine for the time i was going to be there. I had booked from a Thursday afternoon to Saturday morning. Upon arrival at the inn the staff requested my name and searched the database. They brought out something for me to sign and it said that i had only paid for staying on the Thursday night and i had to check out on Friday morning but i had paid for 3 days. Luckily i had printed off my itinerary after booking because the secretary insisted she was right. After this mishap they said something to the manager and gave me the room key. I opened the room and it was even smaller than my room at home. There were no windows only the air conditioning which i had to keep on constantly to try get rid of the smell in the room. When they say free foxtel they mean Fox sports 1,2 and sky news thats it!
I went to purchase some things from the supermarket just down the road and passed loads of sex and adult shops + heaps of congregating drunks. Honestly it is very unsafe after hours for anybody. That night around 6:45 it had started raining and the iron roof above my room made it impossible to hear the television at all. On top of that, despite the rooms looking newly painted the roof leaked terribly all over my bed and foot stool and the poor construction felt like the roof would collapse. Because it was after reception hrs i had to wait on the phone for almost 1 hr before the lady sent someone down to see what the problem was. The cleaner ended up coming and giving me the key to the room under the stairs which they normally use for the laundry. Even in there the air conditoning never worked.
Now i understand why they do not give any refunds.
I checked early the next day and had to spend the whole day looking for a place to stay. This place has cost me so much time and money. I ended up checking into the novotel for a mere $139 a night compared to the $109 at the snooze.
On another note i would highly reccommend the novotel to anyone.
I very rarely complain about anything but this is the worst experience i have ever had.

You snooze you lose!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank marc231
Reviewed 1 November 2008

I stayed in the Snooze Inn in March 2 years ago. I'm going back to Brisbane soon and doing my research properly this time. When I saw it coming up on TA it brought back the most miserable memories of my otherwise great 6 week holiday to Australia. Firstly, and most importantly to me anyway, is that it is in a very unsafe area. To get to the city centre we had to walk past so many drunks on benches, saw a lot of aggro going on and felt very vulnerable and wary all the time. They seem to gather on a particular street, with some very dingy looking pubs, gambling places and a sex shop or two...lovely (!). The Inn itself is a dump. The room we were given was so dark and absolutely tiny, plus it was beside the kitchen and everyone coming back from the pubs throughout the night into the early morning carried on the party outside our door. Twice someone tried to get into our room. The reason the room was so dark was explained when we opened the curtain. There was an alleyway and a brick wall right outside. Oh, and it smelled of dirt and damp and other smelly things! I couldn't wait to get out of the place. Go to a decent hostel and do yourself a big favour.

• Stayed: March 2006, travelled with friends
2  Thank mareso
Reviewed 24 June 2008

For $140 per night I would expect something better. The room was Tiny, dirty and it smelt. The hotel is in a very unsafe area, amenities are not as marketed. It should be marketed as a Back Packers. I fully do not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business