“Great boutique/budget hotel”

Ranked #134 of 157 Hotels in Brisbane
Ireland
“Great boutique/budget hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2007

I stayed here for a week and can recommend it heartily. The room was clean and the staff, well the two girls I had dealings with at any rate, were great.

As for the seediness of surrounding area mentioned in the some reviews, it's true to a certain extent but I never had any problems. And Brunswick Street Mall is around the corner and it's one of the centre's for nightlife - a bit young for me perhaps at weekends! - and has some great restaurants. Brisbane's china town is close by and the city isn't too far away.

Given the wide swing in the reviews about the place here, I wasn't sure if I was making the right decision when I booked. I can say now that I did!

• Liked — shower
  • Disliked — viewless
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled solo
2 Thank DGF69

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Gateshead, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2007

I do not know what it is with this hotel and either 1* or 5* reviews. Its clean but very average and although not that expensive I would class it as a top end back packer place rather than a hotel. I would have expected more for my money from a hotel in a very mixed location, close to the CBD but with some rough elements.

• Liked — Free internet
  • Disliked — location and style of accomodation
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank johndw
sydney
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2006

Booked this hotel 2 months prior to stay. On arriving the VERY young boys at reception could not find our booking. Their excuse was that they had lost all bookings due to a computer crash. After explaining that they should have had an email from me on their system this was found and booking confirmed with vague apologies and some rubbish about the computer crash having happened at xmas...I'd booked in march..After this bad start I was actually pleased by the quality of the room. Very modern and clean, nice bathroom, but the place is very new so this is what I'd expected (except for the nice view of the underground carpark next door though..). On returning quite late on the first night we found that there are quite literally NO STAFF on site, except for the fella's loudly lugging a rather large piece of furniture down the corridor leaving the front door open ( all at midnight???). We also witnessed a new customer trying to gain access at the locked door. He pressed the buzzer and was put through to a call centre where they gave him an access code to open the door!!!! The code given for his room door did not work and he gave up in disgust. This same system also applied when my companion locked himself out of the building that same night, he buzzed the call centre and was told that a security patrol would arrive to let him in - leaving him standing outside alone, as a female I would not have relished that idea if it had been me. All up, it seemed to me that by cutting corners on staff they have really let themselves down. The lack of experience/training really showed - seemed like they just had their mates around minding the shop..

Stayed May 2006
4 Thank stemmed
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2006

My husband and I are both professionals used to staying in places that are clean, quiet, well-managed and safe. Before leaving for our trip, I had second thoughts about the Snooze Inn based on a couple of reviews that suggested the neighbourhood was sketchy. I'm glad we didn't cancel our reservations! The Fortitude Valley area is like any other city area that is out of the main highly touristy (read: artificial) area. There were real people living out their real lives. Yes, there were some homeless people around but this is true in most cities I have visited; at no time did I feel unsafe or threatened. As for the Snooze Inn itself - it is FANTASTIC. The rooms are extremely small but everything about them is excellent quality - from the shower heads to the down-filled duvets. And the mattress was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept on. The hotel was quiet (I had feared a backpacker crowd but it was all professional travelers who were visiting) and clean (even the shared kitchen area where free breakfast is available). The location was GREAT - within easy walking distance to downtown. I would highly recommend the Snooze Inn - for location, cleanliness, friendliness of the staff, comfort, and overall value. It can't be beat!!

• Liked — Clean, quiet, great location
  • Disliked — Rooms were small - but not unexpectedly so
  • Tips/Secrets — Definitely stay here - but keep up the quality of the hotel by being quiet and clean!!
  • Stayed June 2006, travelled as a couple
5 Thank AnnNonym
Amsterdam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2006

We stayed at the Snooze in for a week and loved it! We thought it was great value for money! staff are good, rooms clean, and compact. The location is near the train station, and close to the city and the motel is situated in Fortitude Valley which is definatley the place to be for great restaurants, local designer shops and the markets on the weekend were fun! Also close enought for a shop in the city mall. The rooms are not huge, but we were there to explore not hang out in a motel room. Would definately recommend this little jem of a motel if you are looking for good value for money and a clean and comfortable stay! It really had all we needed! -- Thankyou to the staff for all their help and recommendations!

• Stayed June 2006
4 Thank Yanuza
Brisbane
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2006

I stayed at Snooze Inn for a 3 days in March. I havent been to Brisbane for ages, I just looked at price and booked on line.

This place is so clean... I have stayed at budget hotels and this is the best.... from the outisde this building is an old 50's shop front let me tell you once you are inside it you cant believe what these guys did to rebuild it, aparently it only opened in June last your

even better they give you free internet, you can use there computors downstairs or if you have your own laptop you can connect in your rooms, they dont even charge for it. I am an internet junkie so i loved this.

People say foritude valley where the snooze is not a good location, but in my opinion its just like any inner city area and its changing all the time, new venues going up. Really its the only place in Brisbane that has some life , day or night, walk out of the snooze you and catch the train to anywhere, the station is just around the corner, one stop you are in the city,

take a walk from snooze up brunswick street and you hit heaps of restaurants, I went to Isis, which is simply A1 i read about it in Qantas Magazine, the next morning the guy at the snooze suggested Cirque for breakfast also in bruswick street, great place I thought I was in Melbourne again. in the afternoon I walked around to James Street and they have a great Cinema called Palace Centro, I saw the last of the french film festival, had a drink ar Cru Bar accross the road, a little prentious but really nice.

In the evening i walked again from Snooze through the Mall, it was pumping with young people going to clubs and concerts, a street person asked me for a cigaratte and thats about it they were even nice!! I walked to Emporium about 5 minutes walk , its an aparment shopping complex like Brisbane version of Double Bay and had dinner at Fez bar a turkish place, excellent food and then went next door to Free Style, Brisbane desert cafe, they cue and it was worth the wait.

came home slept on a great bed,, needed more sleep at checkout and the guy at the counter very kindly said i could stay an another few hours. I am comming back to this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2006
7 Thank atlas4u
Sutton on Sea UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2006

Had booked into this hotel for a weeks stay.The area was dreadful and looked really dangerous.When we arrived we could see receptionist at desk.We had to ring a bell as door was locked. This mid morning. The door was opened for us to enter and then locked again.I asked to see the room. Led up a narrow dingy looking corridor and shown a room which appeared to have no window and was pitch black. Couldnt see wether clean or otherwise as light was not switched on for any inspection.Decided not to stay and went back to reception. 2 other people were ringing doorbell to be let in and were obviously staying there.The area around Brunswick Railway Station was occupied by drunks sleeping in doorways and the whole area was dirty.This hotel was app.100yards from all this and I could understand why the door was kept locked.After mentioning this experience to other Austalians ,they told me that it was a bad area

Stayed March 2006