“Charming old Queenslander”

Bowen Terrace International Accommodation
Ranked #78 of 169 Hotels in Brisbane
Reviewed 12 November 2012

I visited Brisbane in early November 2012 and stayed in Room #7, a single bedroom with share bathroom use for five nights. The room was fine; clean and functional. There is no air con, but a ceiling fan. The room also had a TV, fridge and water kettle.
A bedside lamp would have been nice, given that the room was quite long and narrow and the switch for the ceiling light was on the wall farthest away from the single bed. My suggestion for a small improvement!
The mattress was also too much on the soft, soggy side for my taste, but this comes down to individual preferences, of course.

As others have noted, the walls are super thin, so be prepared to hear most of what is going on in the adjoining rooms and definitely pack earplugs if you are a light sleeper.

The house itself is charming; a breezy old Queenslander located on a quiet residential street in New Town. Shared facilities include kitchen, big veranda, small pool, common room with TV. All guests get 2 hours free WIFI per day. Staff are very friendly and helpful but reception hours are limited to the first half of the day. Check-out time is 10 am.

Bowen Terrace Accommodation is close to various bus routes (some just across the road), the Sydney Street ferry wharf and a 10-15 minute walk away from Fortitude Valley train station. It is also very easy to walk to the CBD.

New Farm Park, the Powerhouse, a supermarket and various cafes, restaurants and bars are also close-by.

If you want cutting-edge amenities, luxury and to be fussed over, Bowen Terrace is not for you and it does not claim to be either. I'd rate it 3,5. I enjoyed the neighbourhood and staying in a more authentic place, so I would definitely consider returning and/or recommend to independent travellers.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank upsalala

Reviewed 30 October 2012

When I started my search for accommodation in Brisbane, I was doing so almost 7 months in advance and therefore was absolutely shocked at the high cost of hotel rooms, even with such advance notice. When I stumbled across the Bowen Terrace website I book marked it as a "last resort" in the event I could not find a central hotel at an affordable price. When I finally came around to booking Bowen Terrace I was a bit worried as to what I would find on arrival, simply because I am not used to staying in this type of accommodation. One thing is for sure, the Bowen Terrace website provides a very accurate portrayal of what awaits you. Simple, clean and comfortable budget accommodations. I was in room #4 which had a comfortable queen sized bed, a massive window and an ensuite bathroom. Two hours free wifi use each day is also included in the room price. I was pleasantly surprised by how comfortable I was at Bowen Terrace and I definitely saw the charm in staying in what is referred to as a typical "Queenslander" style home. The neighborhood is lovely and there are many unique restaurants and cafes just a few steps away. Central Brisbane is accessible on foot and by ferry. Both methods of transport make for an enjoyable trip into town. I would definitely stay at Bowen Terrace again and highly recommend it for anyone who doesn't want to spend a fortune on a Brisbane hotel room.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank FlyJayClass
Reviewed 15 October 2012

Looking at the room-types offered (e.g. some dorms with shared bathrooms), I knew that there was a back-packer element to Bowen Terrace, however we opted for a room with with an en-suite, so I thought it was a little more like a B&B, especially given the price they were charging for such a room. However upon arrival, it was clear that it was a back-packers, albeit a very nice one. The building is a beautiful old Queenslander and it appeared that if you were willing to forego the privacy of your own bathroom, you could have had a very nice room, however the price one paid for an ensuite was having to have a room downstairs which were part of a renovation so rooms are only separated by thin gyprock. I was woken in the middle of the night, and kept awake for some time by the couple in the next room having sex... So, with another night still to go, I hastily invested in some earplugs in case the love birds were staying another night as well. In addition, there was not ventilation in the bathroom, apart from opening a large window which was from waist to ceiling height, but also right next to a pathway leading down the side of the house and directly opposite the neighbour's window. Ultimately the room sort of felt dank most of the time we were there.

We really only needed somewhere to sleep and drop our bags as we were visiting my in-laws who lived nearby in New Farm and so, spending almost all day and evening with them, so we didn't want anything too fancy, however I guess I wanted something better than this. For the same price, you can get a king room at Edward Lodge, just a few blocks away which is more like a B&B.

Room Tip: If you don't mind sharing a bathroom, opt for one of the rooms upstairs.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Jordan B
BowenTerrace, Owner at Bowen Terrace International Accommodation, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2012

Hi and thanks for taking the time to write a review.
You are correct in saying that we are not a B&B, none of our marking says this either, we market ourselves as a guest house and we cater for a wide range of travellers, anything from a shared room with 3 other people to single rooms on your own sharing a bathroom or a private room with your own bathroom. Bowen Terrace is 100 years old and a traditional Queenslander, I’m sorry to hear that you were not happy with your room, we have 5 Queen rooms all very different you can see every one of them on the net, If you are back in Brisbane please pop in so we can show them to you, we would like to have you back to stay and make it a happier experience.
Maria

Reviewed 27 September 2012

It's not luxury accomodations but it's reasonably priced, clean, centrally located, and the staff is very friendly. There are individual rooms and hostel style as well, refrigerator and tea service in room, as well as a fully equipped common area kitchen.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 September 2012

I was joining a cruise out of Brisbane last month and needed one night's accommodation. Bowen Terrace International Accommodation fitted the bill. The house itself is a Victorian Bungalow, spacious and airy. The location is easy to fine, has a great French Bakery very close,other good eateries, and a supermarket 10 mins walk away.Bus stop at door.
The room was clean, spacious and had a fan rather than AC which was lovely.The only small niggle I had was that another bathroom would be great, especially if the house was full. The other guests were friendly and casual. The receptionist was helpful and attended to my needs without fuss. She booked me a taxi which arrived on time. It was a very reasonable, pleasant stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 September 2012

if you are looking for luxury with a capital "L", bell boy service, turn down service etc etc, then discount Bowen Terrace now - it is not a luxury 5 star hotel... but if you are more interested in a pleasant place to stay, offering reasonable rates, good location, clean and friendly service then Bowen Terrace may suit you. We stayed as part of a family gathering in Brisbane. Utilising a family room which offered accommodation for 4 with its own ensuite, it suited us fine for a place to stay. A variety of accommodation is available at Bowen Terrace and although we didn't use it, the pool looked inviting and I saw numerous people making use of the communal lounge areas and kitchen. If you are a light sleeper you may find that the place can be noisy at times, however it didn't disturb our sleep. All in all, if you take Bowen Terrace for what it is and what it advertises itself to be, then in my view it ticks the boxes. We will stay there again.

Room Tip: Choose a family room if you like a private ensuite
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 September 2012

Terrific value for money here, by Brisbane standards. Just about the cheapest bed in town, but comfortable, reasonably clean, and in a very good location - a charming neighborhood that's just central enough to leave the car (and joy of joys, enough free parking space to actually leave the car in!). A lot of repeat and longer-stay people here, so it has a homey feel.

The bedspreads and carpets can probably use a few more washes because it does get a touch dusty/moldy in Brisbane's climate, but otherwise no complaints.

Room Tip: The shared bathrooms are fine if you don't want to pay the extra for your own.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple