“An afternoon visit”

Fort Lytton National Park
Ranked #67 of 383 things to do in Brisbane
More attraction details
Owner description: Fort Lytton is Queensland's foremost military exhibit, with extensive historic fortifications, Queensland's largest military museum and regular military re-enactments. Admission, guided tours and parking are all free on Sundays and most public holidays. It's a great day out for everyone, from families to serious historians.
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Visited Fort Lytton and was pleasantly surprised. There is not lots to see there however the guided tour is definitely a requirement and adds greatly to the experience. The history is quite rich and interesting - you would miss this without the guides knowledge. Limited food facilities and wear a hat. A gold coin donation is requested - I was only too happy to pay this. Best to go when they fire the guns - be sure to Google the dates for this before you plan to go.

5  Thank JackSpratandwife

Reviewed 11 July 2014

Awesome place to visit and bring the children for fresh air, history and the museum. I really appreciate that this place is open to visitors and would come again and take the tour. We didn't have time when we took a visit but I heard some of the tour that was being done and thought it was inspiring. In my view, even if you find history abit boring you should respect what this represents.

2  Thank EmmaV1972
Reviewed 1 July 2014

So much history, Good on a winters day! Best is the fort itself but I like the meseums too.
Take a pic nic as there are tables under some trees

1  Thank chief_chemist
Reviewed 22 June 2014

In response to Ethan Condell,

My nameis Lester Freeman and I am the resident historian of Fort Lytton. I think that it is very unfortunate that you found your experience at Fort Lytton to be sub-par as I truly believe that the Fort is something that even the most unenthusiastic visitor would find captivating.

In regards to the grass, the maintenance team and I had previously agreed that in order for the Fort to have any hope of retaining its original mystique the grass would need to be left in a somewhat unkempt state in an attempt to recreate the conditions that the soldiers of the time would have experienced (albeit nothing that should discourage the intrigued visitor!).

I am glad to hear that you possess the moral fibre to steer your friend Tim away from such a course of action, as the sale of those soft drink cans provides an significant and vital revenue stream for the upkeep of the Fort. In fact most recently we were able to print a number of very well designed and informative pamphlets (I hope you were able to locate them next to the visitors register).

Once again I must express how sincerely upset I am that you found your visit to the Fort to be unsatisfactory. I honestly believe that mystery of the great Fort Lytton to be one that is truly captivating and I hope that I have convinced you to return one day soon for a guided tour.

Kindest Regards,

Lester Freeman
Historian

14  Thank lester f
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I attended fort lytton with some friends recently and was very impressed with the overall "vibe" of the fort. i was exposed to numerous attractions, being a small museum, multiple gun emplacements as well as old abandon buildings which i found quite interesting. I was however very turned off by the lack of maintenance around the fort. In particular, the care bestowed upon the numerous fields of grass around the fort. It was in fact raining on the day we attended and subsequently due the the over grown nature of the lawns my friend, Tim, got his sock wet because he has a hole in the bottom of his shoe. also there was no one supervising the visitors museum which led to my friend Tim suggesting the idea of stealing a can of soft drink which i found rather distressing! overall not a bad tourist spot despite the grass which looked as though it had not been cared too in almost over a week.