“Spirit of Queensland a big mistake”
Review of Tilt Train

Tilt Train
Ranked #77 of 361 things to do in Brisbane
More attraction details
Owner description: The Tilt Train not only transports you through some of the most beautiful scenery, it also extends the gift of more time to explore it. The Tilt Train between Brisbane and Rockhampton operates almost daily in each direction. Escape the everyday with an experience onboard the new generation of train travel, the Spirit of Queensland, travelling the Queensland coast between Brisbane and Cairns. Designed for relaxation, the Spirit of Queensland combines modern seating and entertainment options with the romance of long distance rail travel.
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I traveled the Spirit of Queensland economy class with high expectations considering its a modern train. However I wasn't very impressed with the uncomfortable seats that don't even recline. A six hour trip wasn't comfortable and doing an overnighter would be out of the question. Any sleep at all would be difficult and this is coming from someone who has slept on trains and buses overnight on several occasions. The seats seem to resemble economy airline seats. Its a bit like they're trying to run a train like an airline by making economy a cattle class and expect people to pay a lot for something reasonable. Land based travel doesn't work that way because of the many hours required to travel and trains have a reputation of being comfortable which is why people often use them. People expect even economy class to be comfortable on train and so are prepared to travel long distance on them, even if it takes a bit longer. They seem to have forgotten this and the TV screens on each seats dose not compensate for that.

I can't speak for the rail beds because I haven't been on one, but I find the lack on sleeper rooms a bit concerning. Some people like privacy. While the rail beds have a place on the train, I don't think they should totally replace private rooms and be considered first class. They should be a cheaper option than the high price for a private room.

The Sunlander is 10 times better than the Spirit of Queensland and so I think this new train is a big mistake unless corrective active is taken. if your planning to travel any more than a few hours on this train, I seriously suggest you avoid economy class like the plague or use alternative means of travel.

6  Thank 1978Prime

Reviewed 26 June 2014

We travelled from Townsville to Brisbane by tilt train several weeks ago and had rail beds. The service from QR staff was great as was the trip. It is quite comfortable and several steps ahead of the old Sunlander. I highly recommend people use it.

3  Thank Martin C
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I took the Tilt Train or "Spirit of Queensland" from Brisbane to Cairns at a price that gave me high expectations, once I boarded the train, I quickly found out that my expectations were too high. I got a numb rear after about an hour in a narrow seat with only a satisfactory amount of legroom. To top that off we were 1/2 hour late into Cairns which meant I enjored an extra 30 minutes of uncomfortable hell where staff were non existent.

Anyone who has been on the XPT - The "Spirit of Queensland" is roughly the same, except double the price!

5  Thank Nathanmurphy5
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Just spent 18 hrs on the new spirit of queensland tlit train in a seat compartment,no sleep as the seat was like a slab of concrete ,very disappointing as its a new train expected compy seats to say the lest,also very very cold so take winter warmers with you.On the plus side lots of leg room.Do believe the sleeper seats are great will try them out on our return trip.

3  Thank 12Heather
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Great way to travel, quick and easy travel, more comfortable way to travel than bus and cheaper than flying, clean and comfortable

1  Thank kate g