“Great place to stay”

Ranked #60 of 159 Hotels in Brisbane
Melbourne
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed 7 April 2008

This is the second time I have stayed here and it was fantastic. Great location, clean large rooms in fact this time I was on the 18th floor with a spectacular view of the river and storey bridge.
One of my favourites in Australia.

Stayed April 2008

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Thai first
Middlesbrough
Reviewed 18 March 2008

W stayed at the Oaks in a 15th floor appartment and found the accomodation first rate all the facilities were above average, plenty of room to chill out and relax after a long day sight seeing and shopping etc, and if you so wished make some food and have a glass of wine beer etc before going out on the town again. Bathroom and bedroom were of a good size and were clean at all times(even had washing machine and dryer). We had an excelent city view from the balcony and sat out on numerous occsions watching the world go by. The location was excelent right in the centre of Brisbane near to all the shops restaurants and night life though if you wanted to get to bed early it could be a bit noisey with revellers and traffic late at night but that was only a minnor irritation to what was otherewise an excelent stay in great accomodation.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Night time noise
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Leon, Spain
Reviewed 10 February 2008

It´s the best location, with magnificent views to the river, just in the city center. You have the riverside to have a walk, the park and the Queen Street Mall for shopping just 5 min. walk away.
The appartment is very nice furnished, with LCD TV, huge beds and little poor bathrooms.

• Stayed February 2007
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 20 December 2007

We are living here for a 3 month period. It is a one bedroom apartment with the Story Bridge view. The apartment is grt, very good facilities ( far far better the Abbey that we stayed initially for a week). The best is the view from the balcony.. The apartment is quite big and atleast we dont have the problem of noise or anything. The reception is pretty .. i wudnt say extrodinary. Apartment is pretty new so u really feel grt!! We still have a month to go so hopefully it remains as nice as it is now.!!

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — Service can be better
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Oxford
Reviewed 14 December 2007

Had an amazing apartment right in the centre of Brisbane. Great river views, right by the botanic gardens, 5 minutes walk to the quay with lots of restaurants and cafes.

The apartment could have been brand new, fully equipped spotless kitchen, flat screen TVs in lounge and main bedroom. We were lucky to get a 2 bed apt even though we booked a 1 bed.

Check in staff were friendly and professional, even though 'run off their feet' busy. Car parking is cheap for the city centre at $15 for 24 hours, but the multi-storey car park can be difficult to drive around (we do have a 4x4 though!!!)

Accommodation doesn't provide breakfast, but there is a cafe next door which provides this and you can charge it back to your room.

• Liked — Location, quality
  • Disliked — Difficult to negotiate car parking
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank DentistRuth
Sydney
Reviewed 23 September 2007

I arrived at the hotel with a confirmed reservation number to be told by the woman on the front desk that they had no record of the booking and that my travel agent "must have made a mistake" and that she couldn’t help me. My travel agent is American Express Corporate Travel, who while not perfect, usually get the basics right.

I asked if she could help me with a room anyway and she responded "no". No apology, no explanation, just "no".

I called Amex and checked that the details were correct - I then put Amex on the phone to the check-in person who had a quick conversation with them, hung up my mobile, put it and my credit card back down on the counter and walked into the office behind the desk without saying anything or telling me what was happening.

Amex then called me back and said that the hotel check-in person had hung up on them and that I did definitely have a confirmed reservation. At this point her colleague on the front desk intervened and said that he would see what he could do - quickly located a hard copy of my booking from somewhere under the front desk and told the other person, who remained out of sight in the office behind him and then he told me that he was sorry but the hotel was fully booked for both nights and that there was nothing that he could do for me.

I called Amex again and they tried to get me another room but all hotels in Brisbane were booked out that night due to a convention. I then went back to the front desk - at this point the original check-in agent disappeared back into the back office again - and explained the situation and put myself at the mercy of the more helpful of the two who, after I had stood there asking for help for 20 minutes, finally located a room for me.

I understand that hotels overbook and that sometimes the numbers don’t balance out in which case they work to accommodate the guest in an alternative room or if necessary at another hotel. What they shouldn’t do is to lie about the overbooking and then try and assign blame on the guest for the problem.

On check-out I was once again lucky to have the same check-in person checking me out - she asked me how my stay had been and when I explained that the stay had been ruined by her attitude on check-in, her response was to smirk, hand me my account, wish me a nice day and walk away again.

For what it's worth the room, like most Oaks hotel rooms, was OK on the surface but various appliances didn’t work and there didn’t seem to be much attention to detail from housekeeping (dirty glasses and plates in cupboards, for example).

I wrote to the hotel's sales and marketing department describing my experience and received no response, which I think is indicative of the hotel's general approach to customer care.

I won’t be staying there again.

• Disliked — Cusotmer service
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled on business
8 Thank ITCons
Perth
Reviewed 9 September 2007

I was a little nervous about going here, particularly as my wife and I had to call at least 3 times and finally send a formal email just to receive an email confirmation of our reservation (it was a busy time in Brisbane with the Riverfestival on). Anyway, that all worked out in the end.

The apartment hotel is in a great location and parking is very convenient and reasonably priced. Our room on the 11th floor had a fantastic view of the Story Bridge, which was good for parts of the air show that occurred while we were there. Price was roughly the same as shown on wotif, but we decided to use the 1800 number and book directly. I think the Entertainment Book rate worked out to be better than wotif.

The apartment we had was quite small and even though our reservation said it was a 2br 2bath, it was only 1 bath. For five of us (3 kids and parents) that was fairly tight squeeze (one child slept on an okay sofa bed). Still the flat had all the mod cons, and we weren't spending a lot of time there. The lap pool was adequate and popular, as was the spa next to it. Pool and gym were also in good condition. The Thai takeaway next door was also quite good, and we found some good sushi close by as well.

If you are looking for the city experience and want to be close to the river and the ferries, the Oaks is not a bad choice.

• Liked — location and view
  • Disliked — flat itself was quite small.
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with family