“Oaks properties just have a way of leaving a bad taste....”
Review of Oaks 212 Margaret

Oaks 212 Margaret
Ranked #26 of 143 Speciality Lodging in Brisbane
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Again, another Oaks property and when I should be telling you how good this was, I get left with a sour taste of the Oaks police.

This hotel is on Margaret Street, very close to the gardens and I was staying here overnight for business so it was very close to 53 Albert where the conference was, I was very happy. Plenty to eat close by and also convenience stores in abundance.

I checked in and this was fairly painless and the girls on reception were pleasant. Good start, I had even been upgraded, wow, this was beginning to be a very good stay.

Anyway, I get to my room on the second floor....it was noisy, very noisy in fact, so noisy I thought a window was open. No such luck. Revellers throughout the night and traffic noise ensured I would have a broken nights sleep, this was not the hotels fault though, although some double glazed windows would be nice on the lower floors.

Now, as you can see I am from Cairns. Brisbane was particularly cold the night I stayed and I wanted the heater on. Well it was in fahrenheit, not celsius, lucky I had 4G available as wifi was not free. Anyway, I see that the heater stops working, instantly making the room cold again. It seems that one unit outside services two head units inside, so this means that if you try and heat the entire unit, it will stop one, pump some heat from one unit and stop, then start the other unit. Not only inefficient but means the unit never really got warm. I wasnt looking at it to be a furnace either, just hoping to be warm. Not happening.

Ok, so then I had a mate pick me up for dinner. He stopped out front, came up to the room and asked to use the bathroom. BIG MISTAKE. Seems I hadn't seen the tiny note left in the room that said since I was upgraded I couldn't use that portion of the unit or I would incur a cleaning fee of $50. This was not told to me at check in.

Seems I was supposed to let my guest do his business right next to where I was laying down to sleep at night. If you knew my mate, you would say, not bloody likely.

Anyway.........after sorting out the cleaning fee (Which I didnt have to pay in the end, thank you Oaks), I left thinking that I should have been raving about the unit (bar its very poor air con set up and the cheap TV's - Hisense please....) I was again talking about the small things that Oaks properties tend to do worse than any other chain I have stayed in.

Would I stay here again, probably have no choice due to its location, and I probably would even if I had a choice, but I would think that there must be other properties around Brisbane who actually treat their hotel guests like the "guests" they are...

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank wemarriedinvegas
HotelManagerMargaret, Manager at Oaks 212 Margaret, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2013

Dear wemarriedinvegas, thank you for posting your review of Oaks 212 Margaret and we do take your feedback seriously. I do apologise that you were not explained the upgrade policy on check in, when you book a 1 bedroom apartment and we sometimes offer a 2 bedroom at same price. The other bedroom and bathroom we ask not to used, but you have the use of a larger kitchen and living area. Any maintenance issues would have been addressed immediately had you notified reception.

Reviewed 26 May 2013

Staff were helpful, place is clean, rooms are well designed. All in all, a pretty nifty place. Right in the cbd, near restaurants and the botanical gardens. Great if you are doing any work at the local university.

That said, the construction sound is horrible.They started at 622 am.And they continue until 630 pm or so.
It appears the construction will continue for another few years.
The one bedroom apartments face the construction area.
The two bedroom apartments may be better as they face the botanical gardens.
We had a one bedroom, and while we would stay there again, for sure, not for many years.

That the hotel does not let customers know about the noise on their website is deceptive.

They should drop their prices by 50%.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the botanical gardens may be better. Two bedrooms may be better Do not stay in the on...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank mystic18

Dear Mystical18, thank you for taking the time to review Oaks 212 Margaret and I am glad you enjoyed our central location. I do apologise for the contruction noise that is happening around us, but it is out of our control. Most cities have some construction happening all year round.

Reviewed 15 May 2013

Adjacent construction starts at 6.00am, will be going on for months. We spoke with the hotel who told us they couldn't do anything about it. I suggested that they advise customers prior to booking on the website and didnt receive the courtesy of a response.

Great customer experience and great customer service.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Marty181
HotelManagerMargaret, Manager at Oaks 212 Margaret, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2013

Dear Marty18, Thank you taking the time to post your review, while construction near us can be noisy during the day, there is no after hours construction, however we do appreciate your comments and feedback.

Reviewed 7 May 2013

Business trip. Apartment was clean and spacious. Good facilities and well located. Much better value than a conventional hotel! The complex also has a good pool and gym. Only downside was the lifts were a little small and probably not enough of them as sometimes the wait was a little longer than expected.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
HotelManagerMargaret, Manager at Oaks 212 Margaret, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2013

Dear Aaronfd65, thank you for taking to the time to post your review of Oaks 212 Margaret, I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you back again very soon.

Reviewed 25 April 2013

We stayed for one night and were well looked after. The receptionist from first contact by phone was most helpful and adequately answered all my questions. Check in was friendly and efficient. Apartment spotless and comfortable. Big balcony with seating. Great panoramic views from level 28 over the river all the way to the Gateway Bridge.Parking was $25 and easy to drive in to. We were able to leave the car parked there well after check out time and it was no trouble for them to assist us to our carpark when we returned. Everything we needed was close by. Will certainly consider staying here again when next we need a city apartment.

Room Tip: If you want a view to the east and over the river you may need to go to the higher floors to see ove...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hazel H
HotelManagerMargaret, Manager at Oaks 212 Margaret, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2013

Dear Hazel H, thank you for posting your review and I am glad you enjoyed your stay at 212 Margaret. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 22 April 2013

Not recommended for business travellers. Was quite disappointed at the total unwillingness to assist. Staff simply refused to accommodate requests to move bookings but were more than happy to pocket the money.

This attitude to customer service is really frustrating and usually extends to other things as well. Given the noise problems as well it's best to stay away.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Dan598

Dear Dan598, I am sorry your stay at 212 Margaret did not meet your expectations, we always try to accommodate guests requests to move rooms, but it is not always possible, particularly if we have limited or no vacancies.

Reviewed 16 April 2013

We had a 2 bed apartment for 4 nights over Easter. It was very roomy, with 2 bathrooms and laundry, plus fully equiped kitchen. Quite noisy at night, given it's location. The in-room info stated that towels would be changed, beds would be tidied, and spot cleaning performed daily - however this didn't happen. We were told housekeeping staff had Easter Sunday off - fair enough, but they didn't come the following day either. Bit disappointing. Car parking $25 per night, so we delayed our hire car to avoid this.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
HotelManagerMargaret, Manager at Oaks 212 Margaret, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2013

Dear ELiz70, thank you for posting your review pf Oaks 212 Margaret and I am glad you founnd your apartment roomy. Housekeeping services over Easter were offered if requested, all apartments had letters delivered advising to notify Reception if daily servicing was required over the period.