Again, another Oaks property and when I should be telling you how good this was, I get left with a sour taste of the Oaks police.
This hotel is on Margaret Street, very close to the gardens and I was staying here overnight for business so it was very close to 53 Albert where the conference was, I was very happy. Plenty to eat close by and also convenience stores in abundance.
I checked in and this was fairly painless and the girls on reception were pleasant. Good start, I had even been upgraded, wow, this was beginning to be a very good stay.
Anyway, I get to my room on the second floor....it was noisy, very noisy in fact, so noisy I thought a window was open. No such luck. Revellers throughout the night and traffic noise ensured I would have a broken nights sleep, this was not the hotels fault though, although some double glazed windows would be nice on the lower floors.
Now, as you can see I am from Cairns. Brisbane was particularly cold the night I stayed and I wanted the heater on. Well it was in fahrenheit, not celsius, lucky I had 4G available as wifi was not free. Anyway, I see that the heater stops working, instantly making the room cold again. It seems that one unit outside services two head units inside, so this means that if you try and heat the entire unit, it will stop one, pump some heat from one unit and stop, then start the other unit. Not only inefficient but means the unit never really got warm. I wasnt looking at it to be a furnace either, just hoping to be warm. Not happening.
Ok, so then I had a mate pick me up for dinner. He stopped out front, came up to the room and asked to use the bathroom. BIG MISTAKE. Seems I hadn't seen the tiny note left in the room that said since I was upgraded I couldn't use that portion of the unit or I would incur a cleaning fee of $50. This was not told to me at check in.
Seems I was supposed to let my guest do his business right next to where I was laying down to sleep at night. If you knew my mate, you would say, not bloody likely.
Anyway.........after sorting out the cleaning fee (Which I didnt have to pay in the end, thank you Oaks), I left thinking that I should have been raving about the unit (bar its very poor air con set up and the cheap TV's - Hisense please....) I was again talking about the small things that Oaks properties tend to do worse than any other chain I have stayed in.
Would I stay here again, probably have no choice due to its location, and I probably would even if I had a choice, but I would think that there must be other properties around Brisbane who actually treat their hotel guests like the "guests" they are...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Oaks 212 Margaret offers a range of luxurious one and two bedroom self contained apartments with air conditioning in the lounge and fully equipped kitchen and laundry facilities. There is also a luxury two storey four-bedroom penthouse which boasts the pinnacle of facilities, services and uninterrupted views. The hotel also has an out door heated pool and gym. It is the perfect base from which to enjoy everything Brisbane has to offer. Cool café precincts and fine dining, theatres, nightclubs, busy streets and leafy corners. Enjoying breathtaking river, city and parkland views, 212 Margaret is just an easy stroll from the financial, commercial and shopping heart with its great restaurants and entertainment venues. Excellent access to public transport makes getting around a breeze.Adjacent to the Botanical Gardens, overlooking the Brisbane River, and yet only minutes from the CBD, Oaks 212 Margaret is a logical choice for you to explore Brisbane's historic centre, entertainment options or when visiting for a conference or event. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Oaks Hotels and Resorts, Ctrip TA, Southall Travel, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Oaks 212 Margaret reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Oaks 212 Margaret Brisbane
- Oaks 212 Margaret Hotel Brisbane