“A good base to work from”
Review of Oaks 212 Margaret

Oaks 212 Margaret
Ranked #25 of 141 Speciality Lodging in Brisbane
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Very pleased with my 10 day stay here on business. It is very centrally located for the CBD, with good restaurants, shopping and bars all nearby. If you are looking to explore on a holiday it can be a bit of a bind getting in and out of the CBD, the apartments are really nice, modern, clean and have everything you need. It is good value for money as all other CBD apartments I have stayed in are much more expensive.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Swooty
HotelManagerMargaret, Manager at Oaks 212 Margaret, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2014

Thank you for providing comments from your recent stay at OAKS 212 Margaret. We are pleased to here you chose to stay at 212 Margaret for your business trip and enjoyed the facitilies that we offer.

The property certainly is located within close proximity to everything Brisbane has to offer, and is a great base for guests looking to stay for an extended period of time.

Thanks again.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

The attempts by the management of this hotel to minimise the degree of impact of the major construction next door in replies to comments on this site are completely disingenuous.

Make no mistake - there is MAJOR construction next door to this hotel that will be going on for some time and is very noisy. I was put in to a 10th floor room but refused to take it as it was clear the impact from the construction was going to be great. Attendant only looked for a new room for me when I made it clear I wouldn't stay otherwise. It's inexcusable that construction of this magnitude is not clearly advised at the time of booking.

Also:

* there is no service lift, so be prepared to wait for a lift that isn't full with a cleaner and cleaning cart.
* the pots and pans in this place are so small they look like they've been misplaced from a dollhouse. (photo provided for scale) If you actually want to self-cater, forget it. I actually had to go and buy a $10 pan from Target and then throw it away just to be able to cook for myself on this trip.
* the bathroom was tired and the over the bath shower was positioned perfectly for the height impaired.

All up, there are much better places to stay in Brisbane - and I'll be making use of them in the future.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Scott A
HotelManagerMargaret, Manager at Oaks 212 Margaret, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Thanks for providing feedback from your stay with us. To confirm, all previous comments made in regards to the construction work are quite sincere. We care a great deal about the welfare and overall experience of every single guest who walks through our doors. Yes you are correct in stating that there is construction work happening in the neighbouring lot. There is also construction works happening throughout the entire Brisbane CBD.

All works performed abide by strict noise restrictions with no work allowing to be performed early morning or evenings. I can also confirm that the noise now has subsided significantly, due to the fact that all foundation work and basement level works have been completed.

I am sorry to hear that you felt it necessary to purchase your own cooking equipment. However if you did not feel that is was sufficient, one of our friendly reception staff, would have been more than willing to offer you additional or alternate equipment if requested.

Unfortunately there was not a service lift designed into the original construction of the building. House keeping staff are well informed though that guests always take priority for lift usage. This is simply a matter of common courtesy, which I believe our staff do well.

Thank you again for offering comments, from your stay. We will certainly take them into consideration to help continue to provide the best product possible for all our guests.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed 3 nights in Brisbane with my wife. We had a 1 bedroom unit. The Oaks 212 Margaret is a great location for a stay in central Brisbane. It's near to Eagle St Pier restaurants, Queen Street Mall shopping, the Botanical Gardens, the river ant not far from South Bank. We were on the 14th floor so above most noise including the construction site nearby. We didn't need parking. Good to have the options to eat in or out and to have a little extra space compared to a typical hotel room.

Room Tip: Higher is quieter
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
HotelManagerMargaret, Manager at Oaks 212 Margaret, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Thank you very much for offering positive feedback from your stay with us. We are glad to hear you enjoyed the property and also its close proximity to the wind range attractions Brisbane has to offer.

We look forward to seeing back again soon at OAKS 21 Margaret.

Regards,

Reviewed 26 July 2014

I have stayed at oak apartments before, first time staying at oak on Margaret st.

The bed was the hardest bed I've ever slept on, I think I got a total of 1 hrs sleep due to it,
Partner concurred.

The outside verandah was very dirty, the room smelt stale, the shower was dirty and the shower handle came off easily.

The exhaust fan didn't work so I had to shower with the bathroom door open so that I could use the mirror and I don't have very hot showers !

When I checked in I had a lovely male receptionist when I checked out I had terrible customer service from a female receptionist.

All in all, oaks in Margaret although great location is a dates hotel and not clean !!

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Kars87
HotelManagerMargaret, Manager at Oaks 212 Margaret, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide us feedback from your recent stay. It is extremely dissapointing to read your comments, and can assure you that I have followed this up with the highest priority.

This is certainly not the standard of service and cleaning we strive for, and will use this feedback to help improve the overall guest experience moving forward.

Thanks again.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

We were staying one night in a 1 bedroom apartment. Now I know that the Hotel has no control over workmen digging up the footpath directly outside the front door but we contacted the hotel twice before arriving and it was not mentioned to us. It would have been nice to know for our arrival as it did make access awkward.
The front desk staff were courteous and efficient, but not what I would call superior customer service. The room was a good size but the furniture was set out in a strange way - easily movable though. It was all crammed around the TV and couch, but had bare space in the rest of the lounge room.???
Overall the apartment just missed in so many areas. The shower had mould, the bathroom was dusty, the bathroom bin lid was broken, the bed was two singles put together to make one and hard as rocks, the remotes were dirty looking, couch was scuffed up in places and the view was straight into other hotel / office windows (unavoidable I know).
Overall not the quality we were expecting at all.

Room Tip: if you get a good deal, it is a place to lay your head.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mysteryguest19
HotelManagerMargaret, Manager at Oaks 212 Margaret, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Thank for proving feedback regarding your stay with us at OAKS 212 Margaret St. It is dissapointing to hear that your stay was not completely satisfactory. Please be assured that i will follow up on the housekeeping issues you identified, with the HK Manager. This is not the standard of product we strive for, and will look to rectify this with immediate affect.

Unfortunately staff are not privvy to the goings on of the Brisbane Cuty Council, and may not of known to the full extent the works happening at the front of the property. These were only minorr works which are now complete.

Thank you again for the feedback. We will ceratianly take on board the comments made for the future betterment of the proeprty.

Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

Our 1 bedroom apartment was a good size with nice, comfortable furnishings. Booked twin beds but arrived to a king, but they promplty remade up the beds. Views from our apt not a wow factor as closely surrounded by other tall buildings. If I was staying longer I'd try for a better view.

Stayed: July 2014

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us. We are certainly glad to hear you enjoyed the facilites. I am also glad to hear that whilst there was an error with your bedding configuration originally, the staff amended the issue efficiently.

Whilst we do certainly have apartments that enjoy terrific views of Brisbane, being in the CBD it is hard to offer that view to all guests that stay. Thank you again for providing your thoughts.

Regards.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

We stayed four nights while working at QUT, location was very handy to the free shuttle between the city campus and Kelvin Grove, as well as to the central shopping areas. The apartment was spacious and contained everything we needed to self cater, do laundry etc. While there is construction in the area we were high enough up that this wasn't a bother. My only gripe would be the free internet for 30 mins per day, most places now have continuous free internet.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to provide positive feedback from your stay. The property is definitely within a handy distance from QUT and as such have a number guests associated with QUT stay with us.

We lok forward to you returning again soon.