“SHAKEN BUT NOT STIRRED”

Pullman Brisbane King George Square
Ranked #48 of 169 Hotels in Brisbane
Reviewed 20 April 2013

I had been booked into the Pullman Brisbane as a visiting convention guest from overseas and found a clean and very well appointed hotel, though run very much to a 'business' formula. Seldom did I enter the lobby without seeing yet another posse of flight crews booking in or out. I'll admit I was greatly assisted both by the reception staff and the concierge when staying there, but the hotel and its guest rooms seemed what I'd call 'upper-grade soul-less'. Comfortable, yes, but quite lacking in personality or warmth. Beware, incidentally, the hotel's rapacious 29 dollar-a-day connection charge for wifi ! I cannot see how this can be justified given what it must cost the hotel - equally, the restaurant charges are on the high side. The hotel's central location is a bonus and it is near a thriving shopping mall, but had I had any choice in the matter it would not have been my personal preference as a place to stay.

1  Thank WINETEACHER32
Grant P, General Manager at Pullman Brisbane King George Square, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2013

Dear WINETEACHER32,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Pullman Brisbane King George Square. We always hope that our guests will have an enjoyable stay at the hotel and most importantly feel relaxed and at home, please accept my apologies that on this occasion we have let you down.

Please be assured that we take all feedback very seriously. It is through such feedback, that we can improve our service to meet our guests needs.

Reviewed 19 April 2013

This hotel is located right in the heart of Brisbane and is just finishing renovations. The rooms are nicely refurbished with comfortable beds though the bathrooms look a bit 1985. The breakfast in the restaurant is excellent and the buffet and service there is a cut above the normal hotel fare. So why only an average rating? Well the service I found to be variable. There were problems with my booking that staff on my arrival were disinterested in fixing and I was given a room so close to the elevator I could almost press the buttons without leaving my room where as my ACCOR registered preferences are for a room as far from an elevator as possible. Staff in the hotel were again indifferent to this and clearly thought I was above my station in asking for a different room, I did not get one. The redeeming feature was that other staff were helpful and when I took the step of emailing the General Manager about my treatment in the hotel he contacted me by phone and email, he made no excuses and fully apologized.i think that says a lot about his concern for guests. I think my experience is not the normal and given the attitude of the General Manager I think service will only improve and I would still recommend this hotel for a stay in Brisbane.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Dear David,

Thank you again for your feedback, David, both on TripAdvisor and your email. I am certainly interested in our guests stays along with any issues they had during their stay. It was great to talk through these issues on the phone and we look forward to welcoming you again into the future.

Reviewed 18 April 2013

Lovely comfy bed, great staff, terrific service, they arranged our very early wake up call, got us a taxi and saw us off on our holiday.
We just love all the bathroom amenities everything we could wish for and yummy biscuits to go with the cuppa.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Mandy515,

I would like to thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Pullman Brisbane King George Square. Fantastic to hear you had a great stay. We hope you had a relaxing holiday.

Reviewed 18 April 2013

I had a great stay and would stay there again. I found the room and facilities in good order and repair. Service in and out of the hotel was excellent. I look forward to seeing the new renovations.

I have no idea why this has to be a minimum of 200 characters

Reviewed 18 April 2013

I have recently stayed at the Pullman King George Square, and after staying there last year, I must admit I was slightly disappointed this time.The room I was issued had an unpleasant odour upon entry which I traced to the bar fridge cabinet. I left the room and ventured into the city for a short while, after turning the air-conditioner up, hoping the smell would disappear. When I returned, the smell was still there, so i contacted reception and they sent a man up directly to investigate. He rectified the fridge problem, but the odour remained... Reception gladly moved me to a different room on a higher floor which was great.
The new room had a faulty bathroom light which was quite inconvenient, and when the maintenance man came to repair it, it was beyond him and the job could not be completed. Reception offered me another room on my second (and last) night, but I declined the offer as I had already moved once.
I was very happy with the service from the staff at the Pullman, and their willingness to help with the issues, but I would have thought these things could be sorted before they let out the room. The toiletries were different in the two rooms, and there was no bath towels in the second room I moved to. (Another call to housekeeping)
Valet parking staff were excellent and parking was very easy.
The Pullman is a very nice hotel, and has all the facilities needed, including a close location to the CBD, but I am sorry to say that my stay there last April was more comfortable.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo

Dear ekidna6,

Thankyou for your review of our hotel. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused on your stay. I will most definitely pass your comments onto our Chief Engineer and Executive Housekeeper for follow-up. We do strive to make sure the rooms are in order before our guest’s arrival and it seems we have let you down on this occasion. Thank you for your kind comments with regards to the staff, they are very much appreciated by everyone. I hope that we can welcome you again and be a better hotel than what we were last April and more so this April!

Reviewed 18 April 2013

We were looked after extremely well by professional friendly staff from the time we drove up to the front door to the moment we drove away on our last day. A big comfy bed ensured an excellent night's sleep. Terrific value for money through Accor Advantage Club. Looking forward to seeing the completion of the renovation in the foyer.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family

Dear JennyM759,

Great to hear you have a good stay at the hotel, thankyou for your feedback. Your comments will serve as a great encouragement for the team to continue to do a great job! The lobby is so close to completion and we are all looking forward to seeing it! Please do come back and visit sometime.

Reviewed 15 April 2013

The room itself was fine and a decent size. The bathroom was old and appeared to have had a poor refurb - the ceiling was covered in brown marks.

The housekeeping is not up to standard - there was a layer of dust on everything, and not just a few days worth.

The gym is small with a few cardio machines and some free weights and some other bits and pieces. Would say that it is fit for purpose.

The swimming pool area appeared to be used as the central smoking area even with signs to remind people no smoking was allowed. There was a steady stream of people using it for this purpose alone, so the rule does not appear to be enforced.

It's central, and close to the office I visit, but wouldn't recommend people go there for anything other than convenience really.

The staff were all friendly and helpful. The bar area is nice, and breakfast was decent

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Grant P, General Manager at Pullman Brisbane King George Square, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2013

Dear Wonder2006,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay at Pullman Brisbane King George Square. You have noted some issues that I will bring up with our Executive Housekeeper to ensure our standards are kept high. Please accept my apologies with regards to people smoking around the pool area, we will endeavour to keep a closer eye on the area for the comfort of all our guests.