“big difference depending on hotel sebel or citygate”

Pullman Brisbane King George Square
Ranked #43 of 159 Hotels in Brisbane
Ireland
“big difference depending on hotel sebel or citygate”
Reviewed 21 January 2009

Stayed in both the citygate and the sebel. The room was much larger in the sebel and hotel corridor and feel of the hotel more luxurious would recommend these rooms for the extra $20 dearer then the citygate. Found the location was great for driving into the city also valet parking for $25 cheap for brisbane area.
Located close to train station for airtrain. Good cetral location for city centre.

• Liked — Location easlier found driving into the city
  • Disliked — small room in the citygate part
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 28 October 2008

Stayed at this hotel because I needed to stay in town for a work project.

I have stayed here previously before they renamed it, used to be the Carlton Crest.

Service: The property is actually two hotels in one, one tower is the 4.5star side and the other is the 3.5/4 star side. Reception was quite busy and had a short wait to get served. Quite surprised that even though I filled out all my information online when booking I still had to fill out an old style form with all my contact details on it - not a major quibble though.

I was surprised that the doorstaff didn't offer to assist me with my luggage, which was quite considerable given I had almost 6 bags and various other things to do with work. Usually I wouldn't care but in this instance it would have been nice.

Parking: The attendant took the car and parked it for me so I didn't have to worry, but upon checking out I was told that I would have to get the car myself as it was a 60min wait for them to get it.

Room: We had a fairly small room on the city hall side of the hotel, overlooking city hall - which is quite nice at night.

Breakfast: Was the only low point in regards to service. We were told to just find a seat where we could. I had to walk around and ask a number of staff for some cutlery. And again I had to ask two staff for a cup of coffee. Otherwise it was fine enough, I am not the kind to complain.

Overall: the hotel is not bad at all, it is a fairly large hotel compared with others in the city, and honestly if you are coming to Brisbane for business or you are more interested in siteseeing this hotel is more than adequate.
I am not a harsh reviewer of hotels, and overall the stay was pleasent and comfortable.

• Liked — Great Location, Central CBD location
  • Disliked — Service could be improved, little noisy outside room
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank MaverickRoss
Vancouver
Reviewed 25 October 2008

Very average hotel in an average city. Need to be careful in the area as quite close to train station. Room was quite nice, but not quite up to the website photos. Found the concierge staff quite unhelpful.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
melbourne
Reviewed 22 October 2008

I stayed here last weekend, and booked it through Last Minute.

They advertised a 4.5 star rating, but upon arrival- the concierges did not even offer to take my bags into my room.

The car park was out of the way, as I had to use two lifts and walk 50m to get to my hotel room. Also, the car park fills up pretty quickly, so it's pot luck getting a spot.

For a Hotel claiming 4.5 stars, Citigate did not provide complimentary toothbrushes, slippers or even a cheap shaver.

The room was small and crampy, with a very small window overlooking a road.

On the first night, I was scratching profusely and I suspect that the bedsheets were not washed.

Another bad point, is that they kept all their tourist brochures behind the unfriendly concierge desks. When I asked them for a look, they weren't really interested in talking about Brisbane's many tourist sites.

• Liked — location to the city- althought it's not as central as they claim
  • Disliked — hotel seemed to go tight on toiletries
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
3 Thank pat0070
Manchester
Reviewed 2 August 2008

A comfortable hotel in a very central location - the room was fine and staff friendly helpful and courteous. Bistro restaurant good for evening meals and reasonable value. Relaxed stay with no problems

• Liked — Comfortable accommodation in central location
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Moonraker_8
Solomon Islands
Reviewed 27 July 2008

Stayed for 3 nights while attending a conference. I was actually pleasantly surprised and it made me more optimistic about mid-range hotels.

All the staff I dealt with were extremely friendly and helpful (this is usually where mid-range hotels fall down). The room was very comfortable - good bed, new furniture and a new flat screen tv. The bathroom didn't look like it had been renovated with the rest of the hotel, but it was functional (tiles need to be re-grouted, though). I ordered room service twice and it was the quickest I've ever experienced - the longest wait was 20 mins and the food arrived piping hot and tasty. The pool and gym were ok - what I would expect for this standard of hotel (although I would be disappointed if I were staying in the more expensive Sebel, which uses the same facilities).

The one problem, and I think it's quite a bad one, was that there were a number of hairs in the shower when I arrived. This breaks a pretty big rule for me. The last thing you want in a bathroom is evidence of the previous guest. Also, on the following days there were hairs left behind after the bathroom had been cleaned (hopefully mine by this stage). I'm sure this was the result of one bad cleaner, so this is probably not going to be an issue for most guests. But still.....

I'm not overly attached to this hotel but if I were in Brisbane in the future for work with a limited budget I would definitely consider it.

• Liked — Friendly staff, excellent room service
  • Disliked — The cleaner
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank TravellinAfrican
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed 13 July 2008

Stayed at this hotel previously when it had a different name. Quite close to the main shopping area. Hotel is quite old, but decent enough for business travel.

Stayed April 2007