“Needs a clean!”

Oaks Festival Towers
Ranked #60 of 170 Hotels in Brisbane
Reviewed 31 May 2009

This accommodation could have been a lot better, but it was still satisfactory. Check-in was a joke, with reception not able to track down whether the room was ready or not (despite arriving after the time you can begin checking in). After waiting an hour in the lobby, we were eventually shown to our room, where they had given us (what appeared to be) a one-bedroom suite instead of two-bedroom. After enquiring downstairs, someone came up & unlocked a side door to another bedroom we should have had access to at the beginning.

The whole unit looked like it could do with a clean - direty walls, capret & furniture. There was a small TV & stereo which were OK. The air con in the main bedroom didn't work & lighting was minimal, so it was often difficult to see what you were doing. Despite giving the room's phone number to friends, they were unable to reach us, as reception had not connected the number up to be used. Parking is $20/day! The TV in the main bedroom wasn't tuned in to any channels, so you couldn't watch it anyway.

The pool, fitness & BBQ area looked OK, but the pool is underneath the balconies of some units, & people seem to enjoy throwing stuff off the top, trying to hit people int he pool, which is pretty bad. Management is not interested. If you need the lifts that go to the upper floors, you are often waiting quite a long time to get one. The internet costs about $27/day.

It depends on what you are looking for - if you are after a luxury unit, it does not appear you will find it here. If you just want somewhere to stay while you & shop & eat in the city's restaurants, then this is the place for you. It's still 'satisfactory. 'You can walk everywhere in the central city & there is are supermarkets & cinemas close by (among many things).

Our stay was mildly comfortable & it wasn't too expensive. It's in an excellent location. Would we stay here again - possibly.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank TeamBagpipe

Reviewed 12 April 2009

We stayed in a one bedroom apartment with an infant. The cot was expensive but ended up being provided for free, so no complaints. Parking is in a dungeon like underground carpark for $15 and was fine. Lots of student residents I think (at least half seems to be residential) which can lead to queues for the lift. Apartment was spacious enough, clean and modern with a big flat screen tv. The balcony wasn't very big and the view was of the next door carpark but we were very comfortable and the price was excellent for what we got.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank jwjg
Reviewed 12 April 2009

We booked this accommodation through Wotif and stayed for one night to go to a concert (Dweezil Zappa, which was AMAZING!)

The location we were already familiar with, as we'd stayed twice previously at the Sebel Suites on the opposite corner of this particular intersection. It's a perfect location if you want to be situated 2 short blocks from Queen St Mall, only a short walk to Central Station, and also to places like the casino and the bridge over to Southbank, etc.

The building is fairly nice, and in the entrance foyer they've got pictures of some of the artists and bands who performed at Festival Hall (the entertainment venue it was before it was pulled down and the hotel constructed), however the actual hotel foyer was a bit nothing...a bit dark, no ambience at all, and there was a large empty brick / concrete wall with some seats underneath that reminded me of a subway station seating area for some reason.

Check in was easy, the staff were lovely and friendly as well as efficient, and our room was on the 26th floor which I was pleased with, considering I'd requested via Wotif a high floor. This was to try and avoid much of the traffic noise at night when sleeping.

The room itself was fairly nice. Spacious enough, kitchen was adequate (cupboard doors opened into each other though, which was a bit weird, but no problem), bathroom was ok. Nothing amazingly luxurious or anything. A little tired around the edges in the shower, but functional.

The living area was ok. One 2 seater (very comfortable) couch, large flat screen TV, DVD player, coffee table, and another small table for bags and brochures or whatever you acquire during your stay.

There was a fairly large enclosed balcony / sitting / dining area, but this was kind of a wasted area in my opinion, as it was large but only had a small table and 2 chairs on it. It wasn't an actual balcony, but that was ok. It was a bit loud when the bi-folding windows were open anyway. Also it rained for most of our stay, so best to just stay inside.

The bedroom was quite nice. Comfy bed (pillows way too high/round for my troublesome neck, but that's my issue, not the hotel's fault), mirrorred robes, window with quite nice views.

I personally prefer rooms with a bit more of a warmth to them, not such a minimalistic decor, but that's ok. I knew these rooms were rather sparse in terms of plushness and luxury prior to booking. The price, location and a reliably decent level of accommodation were what I was after, and this hotel definitely delivered in this regard.

My only real problem with the stay was the traffic noise. I was very surprised to be able to hear the constant loud drone of the traffic for most of the night through the bedroom windows, despite the fact we were on the 26th floor, and the windows didn't appear to be open or "leaking" any air at all. When people on the street below would scream, shout, talk loudly, sing, laugh or whatever else they would do wandering around at 2am, I could hear most of the words they were saying, which is weird, as again, from 26th floor you wouldn't expect to be able to hear that with the windows closed.

We had previously, as I mentioned earlier, stayed at The Sebel Suites, which is on the opposite corner to the Oaks, and have rarely stayed above the 26th floor at this hotel, and have never had any issues with road noise at night.

Besides this was the ever present and more annoying sound of the rain hitting against the windows. For some reason the rain sounded as if it was a million little needles piercing the window, and it also seemed to cause the pull-down blind (with metal rod along the bottom) to constantly ever so lightly touch the (metal) window sill. This resulted in a constant "tap" sound that got right into my brain, and I got virtually no sleep at all, despite attempting to fix this problem by placing various items of my clothing along the window sill.

The next morning I was exhausted when I awoke at 6am with light streaming through into the room. The pull-down blinds are NOT good for blocking light. They are cream/white in colour and also, as there were two separate windows and thus 2 separate blinds, there was a moderately large gap between the two which let a lot of light in.

We checked out at 9am (check out was at 10am but we were up earlier), which again was effortless and pleasant...

Overall, there is nothing really at fault with this hotel. It's quite nice, the location is excellent, and if you just want somewhere to stay that's central, nice enough and great value for money, it's a fine choice. Just try and pick a room with better window glazing and a day / night when it's not raining!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 February 2009

We made a super late booking for this place and was lucky enough to get a good rate and a clean spacious apartment. 1 min walk to Queen's street.

Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 January 2009

The hotel is well located in the city centre, just a couple of blocks down from the Queen Street Mall, so no shortage of nearby restaurants, shops, etc. The lobby area is very bare with little more than the Reception desk; I found the staff on the desk to be friendly and helpful.

The room itself was a modern one-bedroom suite, with a smallish but adequate bedroom, a little kitchen area and a comfortable living room. I was on a high floor (35+) with a partial view to the river, but also straight across from a residential apartment block close by. The blinds on the large windows had a gap on either side so I felt a little "exposed" at night, and was then woken at 5am each morning by the sunlight streaming in to my room (must remember to pack my eye mask). The cleanliness of the room was fine, though I did come back one evening to find that my room had not been serviced.

I was surprised by the fact that the broadband internet had a 24 hour 100MB limit (after which you were charged excess rates) - for normal usage this shouldn't be a problem, but it was the first hotel where I have noticed this type of excess charge. As it turned out, synchronising my work e-mail after a week or so away consumed 70MB (which I confirmed by phoning the ISP directly when their on-line usage meter didn't work); on check-out, however, instead of being charged the $30 broadband charge, I was confronted with an internet bill of $110 ! On bringing this to the staff's attention, they agreed to (correctly) charge me only the lower amount (and admitted that mine was not the first problem they had had with internet charging), so I mention this as a warning to those who don't check hotel bills too closely.

In summary, while my experience at the Oaks Festival Towers wasn't flawless, I would consider returning to the hotel on a future business trip, as I felt it was a good value, central option at $AUD 130 per night.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 November 2008

Stunning suite for remarkable price of A$120 / night. Sitting room with lots of space and fully equippped kitchen, balcony area with amazing views (29th floor), big bedroom, bathroom with washer and dryer. Nice long swimming pool on roof of 4th floor area, almost unused, and gym + sauna too. Right in central area of Brisbane. Many people seemed to be staying there for long periods, would be great for that, although I was only for 2 nights. Would certainly stay there anytime!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 October 2008

We booked in to Oaks Festival towers after fleeing from on other Oaks Magaret Street just around the corner. Margaret street was the worst place we stayed in many years ( and yes we travel to many 3rd world countries and have seen a few bad hotels )
The service was unfriendly, the room was dirty , construction noise ( very loud ) from 7 am till late . Cracks in the walls and ceiling , TV seize of a toaster . Terrible.
They told us no other property was available. We found that Festival towers had rooms and insisted on shifting after 1 night.

Festival Towers is clean, but full of food smell , dark corridors .
You cant move in your room as nearby office workers have a nice view trhough the large window !

we received a letter that somebody from Oaks would contact us in the next days . Off course that did not happen !

Avoid Oaks properties in Australia !

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple