“Better than average”
Review of Oakwood Theme Park

Oakwood Theme Park
More attraction details
Owner description: Oakwood Theme Park is Wales' Biggest Family Adventure located in Pembrokeshire, West Wales. With over 35 rides and attractions spread over 90 acres of spectacular countryside, we have something to offer the whole family. Whether you are looking for young adventure, family adventure or adrenaline adventure, you will have an amazing fun filled day out!
Reviewed 10 June 2015

Nice place to visit, cheap if booked online.

don't expect it to be as good as Alton Towers or some thing similar.

We went on a weekday during school holidays. The wait for the rides were not too long. Glad we did not pay for the fast pat

2  Thank yourbrother1975
OakwoodThemePark, Head of Marketing at Oakwood Theme Park, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2015

Many thanks for posting a review following your visit to our park. We appreciate your feedback, and I am pleased that you booked your tickets on-line in advance of your visit in order to make some savings on the standard gate price. I am also glad to hear that you did not have a long wait for the rides and that you think Oakwood is a nice place to visit!

We look forward to seeing you again when you are next visiting Pembrokeshire.

Head of Marketing

Write a ReviewReviews (2,212)
All reviews
in 29 reviews
"fab"
in 71 reviews

Reviewed 10 June 2015

We visited last August and I have to say it was a fantastic day, we went on all the rides we wanted to and the queues were reasonable. Staff were very helpful and friendly and were willing to make conversation and we had an excellent day. I don't see how people can complain about this park as there is nothing wrong with it, there are some really great rides especially Speed and Megafobia. Drenched was closed which was a gutter but we moved on with out day and it didnt ruin our day, hopefully will be back in a couple of weeks to visit the park, we aim to come here as much as we can when possible. However, I disagree with the Fast Queue Jump Passes and also a bit confused on what is happening with the new attraction, when will this open? But overall, an amazing day out. Thank you for an enjoyable day and hopefully see you this summer!

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your visit to our park last August. It is a pleasure to read that you had a fantastic day and that, despite being the peak of the season, you found the queues reasonable for the more popular rides. It's especially pleasing to read that you found our staff helpful and friendly which I hope added to the overall enjoyment of your day.
Apologies Drenched was not operational last August, we did suffer some technical problems which meant the ride was unable to operate for a short period of time. With regards our new attraction, 'The Legend of Sleepy Hollow,' we are due to start demolition shortly. Please check our website and facebook page for exciting updates!
We look forward to seeing you at Oakwood Theme Park again this summer and thanks once again for posting a review.

Reviewed 8 June 2015

Luckily I didn't pay to get in to Oakwood as my son won a set of family tickets if I had of paid I would of complained to reception before I left the park on Sunday. Went on a Sunday with my kids aged 9&10 and Took my elderly mother and 75 year old Great aunt with us and was shocked she had to pay £16.95 to get in even though she wouldn't be going on any rides???
On arrival everything seemed fine. Once through turn styles the toilets are still as grubby and dirty as ever!! I was last in Oakwood 2 years Ago and don't think there has been any maintenance done on those loos at all. Broken doors, gaps in the floor tiles, toilets that don't flush. Water on the floor and this was at 10.30am!!!!
Walked through to the park. Straight away kids noticed there was a big section they liked not open. Bre's rabbit train ride all shut off. On to mega phobia. Great straight on the ride still a fab roller coaster. Oakwood now charge you £7 for a photo!! Maybe if they weren't so expensive more people would buy them?!?!?!?!?! Kids had a quick go on bobsleigh,nothing has changed in 22years!!! The entrance to bobsleigh all rotted and tatty not very inviting at all. Usual route on to paddle boats cornered off so walked around to have a leisurely go on the boats. Gate to get in was hanging off its hinges. Half the area to use paddle boats on was cornered off or so deep with reeds we couldn't go near it so that was a disappointment.
Pirate ship SHUT snake river falls SHUT - on to tree tops. Got to be the kids favourite ride. Next toilet stop. ooohhhh surprise surprise toilets by Spped SHUT My poor mum and aunt then had to walk quite far and up steep hill to get too the loo. Back to tree tops kids had few more goes before needing lol again!!! Stayed up by the loos and went into Neverland......ooohhh surprise surprise most rides SHUT!!!! Kids went on the 3 rides that were open but got bored very quickly We then we got a panini and coffee from the little cafe and walked back to the car for a picnic. ( food far too expensive )
After lunch my son went on the open boat slide and unfortunately got absolutely soaked as his boat tipped!! He was fine after quickly back to the car for a fresh change of clothes!!! Back to Tree tops....SHUT!!! Down to pirate ship which was lots of fun but left me feeling quite sick!!! Me and my son had a go on speed. No que which was good but shocked how run down that area has got since I was last there.
Not much else the kids wanted to go on so we headed back to Neverland hoping more rides would be open. We sat and enjoyed the sun for hour while the kids ran around the rides which had staff on. Left the park at 4.15pm. Kids had a great time but for me Oakwood needs a lot of updating and lots of staff. Won't be rushing back for a long long time!!! Checked my pedometer app and we had walked 17,000 steps from 10.30am-4.15pm!!!

1  Thank J W
OakwoodThemePark, Head of Marketing at Oakwood Theme Park, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2015

Thank you for your review following your recent visit to our park. I am very disappointed with your one star rating especially as you state that your children had a good day. I would like to take this opportunity to respond to your comments for the benefit of other travellers reading this.
During off-peak times we do operate some of our smaller rides on a rotational basis. The operating schedule is given to all guest in the park map booklet which usually works quite well as guests are able to plan their day around the park effectively. We also advise guests at admissions which rides are operating in this way. I am sorry that this had a negative impact on your day, however we do this when the park is quieter which means that there are not many queues.
Our concession rate is £16 on the gate for senior citizens and I can only apologise that you felt this too expensive. It is standard practice to charge for all guests in any theme park or attraction and had you called in advance to let us know about your elderly mother and aunt we would have advised you at the time.
With regards your comments about the Bobsleigh entrance, we have recently demolished the entire queue line structure as we felt that it needed to be redeveloped as part of our on going maintenance programme, and we will be erecting an entire new queue line which will look far more appealing. With respect, the gate to the paddle boats is not hanging off it's hinges, and there is a part of the lake that is not accessible by the boats as this part of the park is not visible to the ride operator who is responsible for our guests safety.
There is one ride that is permanently closed which is Brer Rabbit which is located in the Wild West area. We have recently announced plans that this area will be demolished to make way for a newly themed area called 'The Legend of Sleepy Hollow.' This area will receive a £2.5million cash injection and will feature an exciting new ride. We do advertise this in our brochure and I can only apologise that this had a negative impact on your day.
Over the past 2 years we have spent £6million on a rolling refurbishment and improvement plan for the park. Upgrading the toilets is on our agenda and I am sorry that they did not meet your high standards when you visited us. The toilets at our admissions building receive a very large number of people in a short space of time and we do have a cleaner permanently based there during peak times. The toilets by Speed were shut because we are currently in the process of refurbishing them, however there were toilets only a very short walk away.
I hope that there were some parts to your day that were enjoyable and I hope to see you at Oakwood again soon.

Reviewed 7 June 2015

Went with my 4 year old on a warm Sunday in early June arriving at 12pm and leaving at 4:30pm, the thing that struck me was how quiet the park was, there was no queue to get in, and the first thing we saw was a closed Drenched with a maintainence man climbing around the top of it (to be fair it opened later in the afternoon). Not exactly the first impression you want, but it's not like my 4 year old was going to go on that anyhow.

We made a beeline for Neverland (the kids themed area), and to my dismay it looked like all the rides were closed. After contemplating asking for my money back, we ran into a member of staff and were told that they were on "rotation". Makes sense seeing how quiet the park was, but try explaning that to a 4 year old! Luckily things sort of worked out and we got onto all the rides a few times (although we had to wait until 3pm for the crocodile kids rollercoaster to open), and my daughter absolutely loved them all (and Tinkerbell is fun for an adult too, after all how often to you get to steer something airborne with a sail ...).

From there we walked to Circus Land, which was a decidedly mixed bag. My 4 year old loved the kids rides and playground there, but the area described on the map as "go-karts" seemed to not exist (which was dissapointing because we went to Circus Land specifically to find those), and the indoor play area comprised two plastic play houses of the type that you'd find in someone's garden, which seemed rather out of place for a theme park.

On to the big rides, I was pleasantly surprised that a fair few of them are actually suitable for 4 year olds, these being Treetops, the pirate ship (but only on the hour, when they tone it down to be kid friendly, take note), the bobsleds, and the pedal boats (ok so I was the only one pedalling, but she loved the ride).

The most inappropriate ride for a small child surprisingly had to be the 3D ghost train thing, as it frightened her half to death. There are signs saying that it has some scares, but it relies on shock value (think pitch black then an animatronic pops up going "Booh!" at top volume), which makes it properly scary (especially for a small child) instead of just the comic book style scary that you might expect from one of these. I felt that the signs needed to be phrased more strongly and maybe an age limit imposed because of this.

The other low point of the trip was trying to get her a souvenir present on the way out. I was very dissapointed to find that the shops (we went to the one in Neverland and the one at the exit) seemd to mainly sell sweets and candy, with very little in the way of toys except for generic stuff toys (which most kids will already have enough of as it is). I was expecting something to remind us of the visit and couldn't find anything like that. For example you'd expect the shop in "Neverland" to sell Peter Pan related stuff, but again only candy and generic stuff was on offer.

Anyhow, we came out of the park and she said "That was a fun park", so it obviously went down well, but we'll probably wait a while before going back as we did everything there was for a small child in the one afternoon. Next time we we go we'll also be taking a packed lunch as if you don't want to go to the in-park restaurant, the only food on offer seemed to be junk food (think burgers, hot dogs, ice cream, cakes, and coke kind of thing). Some place to simply buy a sandwich and carton of juice from would have been appreciated.

The high point was that on the quiet rides, the staff often let the kids go around multiple times (she and a few others probably went around 10 times on the crocodile rollercoaster because there was nobody waiting in the queue), which deserves a big thumbs up to the members of staff for having a good attitude.

1  Thank Marc L
OakwoodThemePark, Head of Marketing at Oakwood Theme Park, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2015

Many thanks for posting a review on TripAdvisor following your visit to our park with your four year old. I'm so pleased that your daughter thought we were a fun park and that she loved everything in Neverland - I completely agree with you Tinks Flying School is a fantastic ride and great for adults too!
I would like to take this opportunity to reply to the other comments you have made in the hope that it explains some of our operational procedures. We have a little train that collects guests as they arrive at our admissions building and this drops guests off in Neverland. As most of our guests arrive in the morning the train operates 10am-12pm, so unfortunately you just missed it! I'm sorry that the first impression you therefore had of the park was negative; Drenched does open at 2pm every day and has always operated in this way, and we have tried to inform guests by putting up lots of signage in this area as well as at admissions.
June is traditionally an off-peak month at Oakwood and as a result some of our smaller rides do operate on rotation. We put the operational timetable inside the park maps that are given out at admissions which many of our guests like as they are able to plan their day around the 35 rides and attractions we have. Another benefit of this is that there are little queues which is great, as you have pointed out, means guests can stay on the rides again and again!
It is good to hear that you noticed that a lot of our rides were suitable for smaller children, in fact 75% of our rides are suitable for children aged 2 and above. I can only apologise that you felt Spooky 3D inappropriate for your daughter, this is usually a very popular ride amongst younger children and as you highlight there is already signage up advising guests that it is a scary ride, and we leave it to parents discretion whether their child should ride, however I will look into placing further signs up in this area.
With regards your comments about our shops, I must say I was quite surprised to read your comments as we sell a lot of themed merchandise including children's fairy-tale stories, and other such gifts. Of course we do sell the usual 'treat' items such as sweets but we have many other items available across our outlets. Had you asked a member of staff at the time they would have been more than happy to assist you in choosing a gift for your daughter.
It's great to hear that you felt our staff had a good attitude and overall I am pleased you did have an enjoyable day. We look forward to welcoming you back to Oakwood Theme Park again soon!

See more reviews
Reviewed 7 June 2015 via mobile

Thought it was absolutely appalling waited an hour to get in! And then went on one ride waited 2 hours with son who was 5 when we went he was the correct height for the ride. When we got to the platform for the ride. The member of staff got the measure stick out to make sure my son was the correct height which on the stick it showed it he was but then she made my son take his trainers off which then made him not the correct height! Why would my son go on a rollercoaster without his shoes?! This then made me fuming and my son upset to be told he couldn't go on! Then she had the cheek to turn around to me and go are you leaving him here whilst you go on? Why would I leave my 5 year old son to go on a ride he isn't allowed to go on!! I will not be coming back again and will definitely not recommend it to anyone! I would rather go to Alton towers or Thorpe park than rather to this place!

3  Thank Kayleigh B

Thank you for posting your comments on TripAdvisor following your visit in August last year. I'm disappointed to hear that you had such a poor experience and hope that there were some parts to your day that were enjoyable. I would like to take this opportunity to respond to your comments for your own benefit as well as other travellers.
During peak times which is first thing in the morning and early afternoon, there are often quite a lot of people entering the park so apologies for the long wait to gain entrance to the park. We do have all tills open and try to get people through as quickly as possible however understand that waiting is frustrating especially with a small child.
With regards your comment about one of our ride operators measuring your son's height; often if the guest just meets the minimum height requirement they are asked to take their shoes off because when seated on a ride they more than likely may not meet the height requirement for the ride restraint. If they do not meet the height requirement then they will not be safe to ride. Please kindly note that your son was asked to take his shoes off for health and safety reasons and we have to enforce the height restrictions as they are a legal requirement. The only exception to this is that some rides do have an ‘accompanied’ height restriction where those under the limit may ride with a responsible guest over the height restriction.
Our ride operator was only acting with the best intentions when asking whether you wanted to ride, and apologies if any offense was caused. I am also sorry to hear that you would not recommend Oakwood Theme Park, however like the other theme parks you have mentioned in your review you will find that every theme park in the UK operates this way.
I do hope that you change your mind and decide to visit us again soon though. Assuring you of our best intentions at all times.