“Good position”

Park Regis City Quays
Ranked #18 of 63 Hotels in Cairns
Reviewed 28 September 2013

We had a hotel room that was quite spacious & clean. It included a bar fridge, microwave, kettle, crockery & cutlery, so you could heat up a meal or have breakfast. Our room had a small balcony with seating but no view. The position of the property is very central but not near any of the nightclubs so was fairly quiet at night. We got quite a good rate booking through the hotel's website.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
SWHG_Operations, General Manager at Park Regis City Quays, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2013

Dear JKH09
Thank you for your kind feedback on your recent stay with us. It is pleasing to know that you enjoyed your stay, found our facilities very good. And that property was convenient and quiet
I will share this positive feedback with our staff and thank you once again. I look forward to welcoming you again when next you choose to visit Cairns.

Reviewed 27 September 2013

A very well located apartment style hotel across the road from the Cairns Convention Centre. Clean, comfortable and spacious and close to restaurants and other attractions. I would recommend it as a very good place to stay particularly if you are at a conference at the convention centre.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Dear Mr Watkins
Thank you for your positive feedback on your recent stay with us. It is pleasing to know that you enjoyed your stay, found our facilities good and that our staffs were helpful throughout your stay.

Reviewed 27 September 2013

We got a great rate on this place, under $70 USD per night, which is great value anywhere in Australia, not to mention Cairns. For $70 in high season, you can probably only find backpacker dorms. We went in shoulder season in the spring, so this was still a great rate.

1BR apartment included a nearly full kitchen, although they discouraged you from cooking anything elaborate. We found the inclusion of wine glasses, bottle openers, and straining bowls (for cleaning fruits) all to be a nice homely touch. Full size fridge was also handy.

Living area consists of sofa and two chairs, coffee table, TV and TV stand. Bedroom area also had sliding closet. Decor is coordinated, although nothing special, but at least is not displeasing on the eye. Some older places or places without as much care put into it will mismatch furniture and decor, based on whatever is cheapest I guess. Overall looks like an ordinary apartment in any major suburb or city and feels like home. Large balcony faces the street and the mountains, but is a nice place to cool off in the evening or just to sit. There's also a rooftop pool, that we did use once to just cool off, but it's nothing spectacular. Pool views of a bit of ocean and 4 other rooftop pools in the area.

Location is very good, less than 10 minutes to the reef terminal, and less than 5 minutes to city center and the casino. About 15-20 min from the Kuranda train depot. Away from the noisy areas near the Esplanade, yet not so far away. Cairns is pretty small though.

I'd stay here again if the rate was as good or even just under $100. It's a great place compared to some of the motels in the Cairns area for around the same price, and listed higher on tripadvisor. For price and value for what you get, Park Regis can't be beat.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Milty 908

Reviewed 14 September 2013

We chose the hotel due to close proximity to the Conference Centre however this benefit did not outweigh the negatives of this hotel. My room stank of cigarette smoke and it was clear the previous occupant had smoked in the room or on the balcony, due to the absence of fly screens I did not want my doors open so tried to use the air-conditioning to get rid of the stench, it didn't work, no other rooms were available to move to. My shower recess had mould over several areas of grout, I took photographs as I was shocked that they could not rectify this with a bit of mould killer and effort...made me feel the place was dirty.

Next day I came back to my room at 4pm and just after coming out of the bathroom I could hear the lock on my door being activated and two housekeeping staff entered with no warning at all, this is absolutely unacceptable especially given that the rooms have no chain lock, only a passage lock set.

From there it got worse with my very close neighbour getting very noisy, at 9pm I called reception as this is when they close and I asked what I should do if this noise persists overnight, I was told that the room was occupied by young truckers! They had been given a 2 complaint warning so if I was unhappy I should contact the after hours manager who resided on site so he could evict if necessary, at this stage I am concerned and shocked that this clientele would be granted a room, the reception staff told me not to worry as they would all be going out soon...no such luck, they partied on the balcony till 11 pm, they left and came back several times overnight, waking me every time. I had placed my suitcase against my door as I was worried.
I did not call the night manager at 230 and 4 am when I was woken as I knew that it would be obvious I complained given the close proximity of the rooms, I was concerned about repercussions.

This hotel did nothing to help me feel safe and secure, it was dirty and staff didn't appear to be concerned either way. I have travelled the world alone for 17 years and this is the worst I have experienced.

I will make sure I advise everyone I know to avoid this place.

• Stayed: September 2013
4  Thank BevandPeiks71
SWHG_Operations, General Manager at Park Regis City Quays, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

Dear Bevandpeiks71

Thank you for taking the time for your review on Trip Advisor after your recent stay with us at the Park Regis Cairns. We appreciate your feedback and sincerely apologise for any disappointment or inconvenience caused during your stay.

Your comments have been received and will be investigated / Addressed fully with the Housekeeping and Reception department. I thank you for bringing these matters to my attention.

Park Regis Hotel Cairns is strongly committed to providing a high standard of facilities and customer service and we very much value your comments and views in this instance.

Again, thank you for bringing this matter to our attention and we hope that we may have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Park Regis Hotel Cairns in the near future.

Reviewed 6 September 2013

Stayed in a 1 bedroom apartment with view of Cairns Convention Centre but enjoyed the 2 big balconies of living area and bedroom area. No wi-fi in rooms, no business center, no help from reception desk regarding where to get wi-fi. Room provided internet via ethernet cable, which we didnt' have. Several nearby restaurants had unreliable internet service. Bed and pillows were hard. Receptionists were not helpful except for Tobi; she was great. No bottled water available to buy, shuttle to airport too expensive, take a taxi. TV in bedroom was convenient and location was close to wharf. Desk staff was only available from 7am-7pm- inconvenient for travelers. Don't recommend staying at this hotel. No fitness center or restaurant either!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank 11pix

Dear 11pix

Your comments have been received and will be investigated and Addressed fully with our Reception department. I thank you for bringing these matters to my attention. As to regards Wi-Fi we entered into a very long contract in the beginning, which will end in October this will enable us to have WIFI going forward.

Reviewed 5 September 2013

This hotel is in a good location in Cairns.
The room was adequate with tile throughout.
A great spacious balcony but with no view.
The beds were as hard as I have experienced. The hotel advertises that they have an airport shuttle but actually it is a high priced outside company that has to be booked in advance.
I reserved a room with two beds but it was not set-up that way. The staff was able to reconfigure the bed after I requested it upon checking in to the room.
The Wi-Fi is incredibly slow and expensive. $16/day
You have to sign a damage waiver at check-in which is very awkward and not very welcoming. (I am 56 years old and unlikely to throw parties-the waiver includes a "no party policy."
The desk staff does not know much about activities in Cairns and were unable to give us any valuable local insights.
In summary, a nice room but without any finishing touches of customer service or staff training to provide the experience that you pay for (quite high by off season Cairns standards) and expect from a four star property.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Dear bruce_knoepfel

Your comments have been received and will be addressed fully with our Reception department. I thank you for bringing these matters to my attention. I agree with you that the staff need training and this will happen as most of these are new members and new residents to the Cairns area.

Reviewed 22 August 2013

Was staying in the hotel later Aug, room are very small, not clean, sleeping bed was one of the bad I ever sleep on hard and not comfortable at all. Toilet was not clean, shower was no soap and not clean.

Don't recommend staying there, recommend finding something else.

Room Tip: Look for other hotel