“Loved it”

US$165.93*
and up
Green Island Sailing Cruise from Cairns
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience the passion of the Ocean Free and Freedom team! First class service with that friendly Ozzie touch! A luxury high speed 20M CAT "Ocean Freedom" to 2 stunning locations Upolu Cay and "Wonder Wall" on the GBR or a beautiful 16M sailing vessel "Ocean Free" to the famous Green Island + GBR . Personal tours carrying low passenger numbers offering more of a day out with "family and friends" than a "commercial tour".
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

Just came off this trip and loved it. Me and my boyfriend are not confident divers and our instructor sean brought us out twice and he was so patient and it only cost $70 for the first dive certified and $35 for the second. We rented out a camera for $50 and sean took it while we were diving and took brilliant photos. We then went snorkeling and the staff threw shrimp to the fish around us and baramudi came up really close to us. Got amazing pics. Food was brilliant and plentiful. Loved it. Suitable for everyone as they also have a glass bottomed boat for people not confident in the water.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,617)

Reviewed 10 August 2014

I went out with Ocean Free today to Green Island. Perry and his team were extremely friendly and provided a high quality and very personal service from start to finish. Indeed, one of the best things about this trip was the excellent ratio of crew (3) to passengers (14 in our case). All very convivial!

The sailing ship is comfortable and in excellent condition. The food (buffet breakfast and lunch, with return-voyage canapés and wine) was plentiful and superb. The individual cubby holes for storage below decks were useful, and the ability to cover the rear deck means you will be well sheltered if you run any into any rain or rough seas. The crew provide sea sickness medication on request and there are well-produced booklets describing the marine life you will see.

Perry's private mooring off Green Island means you will have plenty of space in the water for both snorkelling and diving. The ship's water sports equipment is excellent. Once in the water there is a good range of reef and marine life to see (various corals, clownfish, parrot fish, giant clams, small sharks and giant trevally). Visibility is reasonable (6-8 metres or so).

Perry and his team provided excellent tuition for those new to snorkelling and scuba. Intermediate scuba divers (e.g. with less than 20 dives under their belts) will find their approach reassuring and constructive. That said, if you are an experienced diver who wants to go deeper than 10 metres or so then you should probably head to the outer reef with one of the bigger operations.

Overall, Ocean Free is superb. They are honest in marketing themselves and provide a top quality service and experience. Highly recommended for individuals, groups and families!

1  Thank MrMarmiteWaffles
Reviewed 8 August 2014

this experience was amazing! there was a glass bottom boat tour and guided tours! the guided tours were really great, one of the crew took you out by towing you on a life belt, they could them point out interesting things and inform you about the different things as well as giving you things to see up close! we also did a drift snorkle, which allowed the current to gently pull you to the ship, but it would be useful (as the crew suggested) to be guided along this part as else you just see sand!
We brought a waterproof camera on the boat, then when we went on the reef tour our guide Vanessa took my camera and got some great close up photos of the animals!! It was amazing!! :)

Reviewed 8 August 2014

Can highly recommend this boat for people who are new to snorkeling and water or are not comfortable with water. The staff are very helpful and every this is done at a pace for people who have never been in the water.

If you are a diver or an experienced snorkeler I can highly recommend taking a different trip because the two spots they stop at are nothing special if you have been on coral reefs before and the whole setup is designed for basic beginners. That being said, for beginners I can highly recommend and you will enjoy what you see.

If you are diver and end up on this boat DO NOT pay for scuba. the max depth is around 9 meters and the vis is normally 10-15 meters so absolutely no need for a tank to see the stuff.

My only complaint is that it should be advertised as a beginner snorkel trip so that people would know in advance what they are getting in to, still an enjoyable day on the water though.

1  Thank Willi S
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This is probably the first review I'm ever writing and the reason I am writing this review is because I thoroughly enjoyed my trip to the Great Barrier Reef thanks to the crew at Ocean Freedom. As a non-swimmer, I didn't think there was much I could do or see at the GBR apart from the glass bottom boat. However, that was not true. All I had to do was tell the crew, I couldn't swim and they took care of me. The crew were awesome, friendly and very very personal. I think the most awesome of the crew was Svenja, a lovely young lady who took extra care of me knowing that I couldn't swim. She was amazingly patient with a terrified swimmer like myself. Ten minutes in the water, I felt completely confident with her around, yes I was in a wet suit and a life jacket but that still didn't give me enough of confidence without Svenja around. Of course, being on the ocean for more than 3 hours for a bit much for me and I began to feel sick (but not throwing up!!). Unbelievably, three of the crew noticed I was not doing great and brought me some bread to eat. One of them saved some lunch for me for later and Svenja even brought me some water and got me to lie down after which I began to feel better. The personal touch that this crew provided was awesome. I'd recommend anyone 'thinking' about whether to do a trip to the GBR through Ocean Freedom - don't think about it, just do it. I'd highly recommend OC any day!! Thanks OC - you guys are great. Gaius Wilson (visited on the 25 of July 2014).

OceanFreedom, Ocean Freedom at Ocean Free and Ocean Freedom, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2014

Thank you for your review Gaius, I will be sure to pass on your beautiful comments to Svenja. She is only new to our crew and has made a real impact on us and on you as well apparently :). All our crew goes through rigorous training so that they all can give our guests the confidence to feel comfortable in the water and get the opportunity to experience all our beautiful reef has to offer :), We are thrilled that we were able to do this for you and could be part of your lifelong memories!

Thanks again for your kind words and happy travels on :)