“Diving in April 2014”

Deep Sea Divers Den Day Trips
More attraction details
Owner description: Deep Sea Divers Den is the right choice for visiting the Great Barrier Reef. Deep Sea Divers Den has operated from Cairns, Australia for over 30 years, making us not only the largest but also one of the longest established Cairns Diving and Snorkeling companies in the area. Whether you are a beginner or an experienced Diver or Snorkeler, your safety and enjoyment is on the top of our list when you visit the Great Barrier Reef with us.
Vancouver, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Diving in April 2014”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

The diving was great. There are lots of corals and colorful fish. Humphead Wrasse was awesome! This fish loves people and let them touch her. The crew was very friendly and professional. I ordered a diving tour for beginners. First time when everyone went diving I got in the water but I was too scared to dive and went back snorkeling instead. A little bit of water was getting into my mask and it made me scared to go deeper on a dive. It is not really difficult to get the water out of the mask, I just didn't feel comfortable. At the second dive of the day, a diving instructor went diving personally with me, even though I didn't ask for one-on-one instruction and they didn't have to provide it. I managed to dive and the instructor took me around the area. They were really interested in showing me the diving sites, despite the fact that the tour was not refundable and they weren't obligated to provide any personal concern for me. I am really thankful for the personal attention. The area of diving was perfect for the people who went snorkeling as well. In some places the corals were no more than 1.5 meters under you, and even closer. There was a professional photographer on board and we had great pictures. The quality was so good it looked like it was made in the clear water of an aquarium. Some people say that the tour is overloaded. I would not say that. Honestly, I don't know what these people expect when they go on a group tour. All people were divided in groups and there were enough instructors. I highly recommend to go diving with Deep Sea Divers Den.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Tatiana C
SarahDSDD, Director of Sales at Deep Sea Divers Den Day Trips, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Thank you for your positive feedback and for taking the time to submit this review, I'm sure other travellers will find these comments useful! Congratulations on completing your first dive! And good on you for giving it another go. Our experienced instructors are well trained in making people feel comfortable in the water so it is great to hear that you enjoyed your experience on the Great Barrier Reef with us. We hope to welcome you back to the reef again soon!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Overloaded and unorganised!”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Badly organised and overbooked, I would not recommend!! The reef itself is beautiful but this trip does not cater to people who have not dived before, I did not feel safe.

3 Thank Jane M
I am sorry to hear that you did not feel safe on board our vessel. Deep Sea Divers Den are a 5 Star PADI Dive Centre and a 5 Star PADI Career Development Centre. These are the highest ratings that a company can achieve and means that our staff, equipment and training facilities are the highest grades possible. Likewise we have also won ample awards for our impeccable safety records, so these comments do come as a surprise to us. Likewise our day vessel SeaQuest is licensed to carry 130 passengers, however we cap the numbers at 80 to ensure passenger comfort whilst on board. We are however glad that you enjoyed the Great Barrier Reef itself - having access to 17 exclusive moorings means that we have a choice of which sites are visited depending on each day's current conditions. The coral formations that we visit also remain in pristine condition, as we don't visit the same sites every single day having a minimal environmental impact. This is also one of the factors that contributed to our eco-certification.
Carnarvon, Australia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“#1 Staff”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

First class customer service. They went out of there way too give you a great experience on the Great Barrier Reef. We went on the five day, 4 night dive trip out to Cod Hole & Steve's Bommie. They even cooked special meals for our food needs.Food & snacks all day which was included. The diving was done safely with a zodiac out there if need be. We had a great group of people diving and were told just where, when & ,how the dive was to go, with depth & visibility of the area. Would recommend them highly. Price was good also. Great time had by all.

1 Thank Michael L
Thank you for your positive comments, the TAKA Ribbon Reef Explorer is a fantastic trip offering great value for money on the Great Barrier Reef! The Cod Hole and Steve's Bommie are magnificent dive sites, the diving just doesn't get any better than this! We are glad that you enjoyed your trip and the food, your comments have been passed on to our chef who goes to a great effort to ensure the food on board is fresh and delicious! Thank you again for taking the time to submit your review.
cairns
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“2 days 1 night on the great barrier reef”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

I recently traveled on an overnight trip to the reef with Ocean Quest which was phenomenal!

We met them at the shop at 8.00 am and we were then taking onto their day boat where we completed 2 dives, I believe on Troppos, really rich dive sites with heaps of marine life and healthy corals. The crew was really helpful and professional. We went guided for the first couple of dives for the day as I had been on Reef Quest before and knew that the instructors know really well the dives sites, it is always a plus, and you can not worry about navigation and float around looking at cool stuff and take photos. you can rent underwater cameras on the boat.
We had lunch and then we were transferred on to the beautiful overnight boat! 3 floors, total luxury for budget!! They just had a refit and everything looks spotless, even the dive gear was all new!!
Heaps of space in lounge area with tv, games, sofas and bar! Heaps of space on the dive deck and in the saloon where the chef fed us some amazing dishes!
You can do another dive in afternoon or relax and wait for night diving!! Just after diner and before desert! Yum!
The night dive was just phenomenal, we went around nice and slowly them just sit under the boat for a while just watching sharks swim by!! awesome!
This was my second trip on Ocean Quest and I had previously tried the Fluro Diving!! omg!!
Amazingly great!! You get a filter on your mask and a blue torch and can pretty much sit on one or 2 bommies looking at macro stuff glowing back at you, it makes coral the star!! a must do if you have previous experience in night diving!!
Overall a great trip! highly recommended!
Big thanks to the team and Raoul, Pedro etc for great service

Visited May 2014
Thank you so much for your detailed review, I am sure that other travellers will find your comments very helpful when planning their trip! Troppo's is one of my favourite dive sites to visit, Deep Sea Divers Den have access to 17 exclusive moorings on the Outer Great Barrier Reef, which means that we have a minimal impact on the environment as we don't visit the same sites over and over - this is why the coral and sites that you visited remain in such pristine condition. Fluoro Diving is an incredible experience! It is available EXCLUSIVELY to Deep Sea Divers Den on board our liveaboard trips, I'm glad that you enjoyed it! You are quite right, our OceanQuest vessel underwent a $500,000 refurbishment recently and with en-suites and TV's in every room it is a spacious 'home away from home' on the Great Barrier Reef! Thank you again for your feedback!
Taipei, Taiwan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Everyone was fine except that taiwanese instructor”
Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

Every instructor was doing great jobs in terms of greeting, giving help when someone was asking for and always checking everyone was safe until the end of the trip.

I was very happy at first before that Taiwanese instructor Jim came to me. We were a group of people speaking Mandarin so he was in charge of this. When he started the safety briefing, he gave me a kind of feeling that he was doing the same thing over and over again so he looked so bored and reluctant.
When someone asked a question, he would reply inpatiently and made you feel you asked a stupid question.

Later on I was going to change my clothes and the toilet I found was occupied, so I asked him where the other toilets were, he looked at me and asked me: Did you ever listen to me when I was talking?

I KNOW IT'S BORING TO YOU BUT IT'S YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO ANSWER ALL KIND OF STUPID QUESTIONS!!

There were 3 of us wanted to do scuba diving at first. But one Taiwanese girl regreted in last minute, and then he got very impatient and said something like-- What do you want right now? How can you be a backpacker if you can't even handle this? in a very nasty way.

And now it's my turn. I was trying to dive but the water kept get into my goggles and my nose got some water in so I was unable to dive deeper, and he asked me : Why did it not happen when you were snorkeling? You don't feel alright that means you breathe with your nose! ( Of course not in a nice way)

It's all about his attitude pissed me off. That attitude made you feel he didn't care what or how we felt, he just wanna finish his job asap.

To tell the truth if you are tired of your job, you should take some days off and find your passion back, not ruining our holiday or our first time scuba diving experience!!

We paid the money not for this kind of terrible instructor ok?

Please educate the instructors carefully. They are the only ones that we can rely on when we are afraid or got problems.

You never treat your customers in this way!

2 Thank 914jessicah
Thank you for taking the time to send us your review, your feedback is important to us. Please be rest assured that our crew have undergone extensive training to provide a safe and fun day out on the Great Barrier Reef, and as such we are a PADI 5 Star PADI Dive Center which is the highest rating that a dive operator can achieve. Diving can be quite a nervous experience for first timers and our crew are trained to be able to make everyone feel comfortable in the water. I'm sorry that you didn't feel this way, your comments have been passed on to management and will be investigated further. I hope that despite this, that you still enjoyed your time on the Great Barrier Reef with us.