“Complete and honest review. I waited one year just to make sure my opinion did not change. DO NOT GO WITH THIS TOUR!!”

Wait-a-While Rainforest Tours
Book In Advance
More Info
US$153.14*
and up
Atherton Tablelands Rainforest Wildlife Tour by Night
Ranked #12 of 157 Tours in Cairns
More attraction details
Owner description: 'Wait-a-While Rainforest Tours' specialises in small group day and night rainforest wildlife tours. It is magical to be involved in seeing a wild animal unrestricted in its natural environment in the rainforest. We often see platypus, birds, possums, tree kangaroos, insects, frogs, owls, reptiles, various invertebrates and other animals on our tours. As a lot of Australian rainforest animals are nocturnal, a night element and spotlighting is included with a knowledgeable, enthusiastic guide.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Charleston, West Virginia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

I take reviews on tripadvisor very seriously. And I have never written a bad one about anyone, but this one really shocked me. My husband and I went to Australia for one month, we did tons of tours and this tour was the worst. In fact this was the worst tour I have ever been on in my entire life. I can't believe it had so many positive reviews. After we went on this tour I actually went back and double checked this website because I was so disappointed. I could not believe I picked something so bad.
First, our tour guide Terry was rude and constantly made stabs at me the entire time. At first I thought I was over reacting, but it didn't stop!! At the time I did not say anything because I did not want to make a scene but I should have told him off. Other people on here made similar comments. I could use more expletive words to describe him but I will remain calm. I'm still shocked and keep in mind it's been one year since I did this tour.
Next this tour is over priced!! I did many tours while in Australia and this one is OVER PRICED. $190 AU per person! You don't get what you pay for. The trip basically starts off with driving through the suburbs of Cairns to see "wild" kangaroos and wallabies. For those of you from the USA, it's like looking for deer in the suburbs of a city. Give me a break. After you drive around the city you go on a very windy van ride to a little cafe'. At the cafe you have a biscuit and tea, nothing exciting. You walk around the cafe on a little path and he tells you about different things you see. Ok. This was nice but if you paid attention the trail was short and you stayed right next to the road. There was nothing adventurous about this trail.
At this point I was still hopeful that this would be a cool trip and worth my money.
So after the cafe and short trail hike we went to find platypus in the wild. So envision going to a little muddy creek next to the road with tons of other tour groups. And there is no guarantee you will see a platypus. I may have seen a platypus, I couldn't tell you. I did see a cow and I got a great photo of her.
So after the platypus adventure we got some food. To me, food must have two basic requirement. It must not make sick (from the top or the bottom) and it must be some what edible. This food full-filled both. I do not remember it being amazing by any means.
After dinner we went back to the "woods" and went spot lighting. Ok, this was basically walking on the road with car driving by, looking for creatures with a spot light. We saw a few possums, but not too much.
After spot lighting we were given a drink and returned to our hotel. I will acknowledge the drink was a nice added touch.
So after one full year of waiting on this review I still feel the same. I don't know if this guy was having an off night. I still see reviews from people that loved it and said he was personable and funny. Absolutely astounded by the reviews. Honestly if I hadn't had this experience I would not believe we were talking about the same tour.
I would love my money back from this tour. It was the lowest point on my month long trip to Australia.

Visited July 2013
4 Thank Cary B
WaitaWhileCairns, Owner at Wait-a-While Rainforest Tours, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Wow it sounds like you had a terrible time with us and I am really sorry about that. It is strange that you waited a whole year to comment though. A lot can change in that time. For instance the guide you referred to is no longer associated with us and certain elements of the tour are also different now. They were not changed because of negative comments however as it is so rare for us to get them. And as you can see from our reviews for the last year since you came with us we have had nothing but positive ones. I know that your relationship with a guide on any kind of tour is the most important one. I cannot comment on the conduct of your guide that day, it certainly does sound like he was having an "off" one, but I can assure you that if you are ever in Cairns again you can come for free and I guarantee you a completely different experience.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Well worth the time and money”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

I took a three week trip to Australia and New Zealand and this was one of my favorite tours. Paul was a fantastic guide - funny, personable and very knowledgeable. I'd recommend this tour for anyone who has any interest in flora and fauna or the history of how Australia developed, or just likes a nice (but very manageable) hike. There is no guarantee that you'll see any animals, but we saw platypus, wallabies, flying foxes, a bearded dragon, possums, etc. However, even if all of the animals had been hiding the trip would have been worth it just to see the vegetation and hear Paul's explanation of it.

Visited April 2014
“Amazing night walk”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

Could see some shy platypus in a pond. The night walk was awesome! Dinner delicious and the tour guide has a big knowledge about the flora and fauna of the rainforest! Well done! I can highly recommend it to everyone who is interested in Australian wildlife!

Visited May 2014
Hamilton, New Zealand
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“A different view of the rainforest”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

Seeing the night creatures of the rainforest was a magical experience. Paul is an entertaining and knowledgeable guide, the van is comfortable, and the barramundi served up at Nicks in Yungabarra was very good. Saw a platypus in the wild. Lots more of course, but you will have to do the tour to find out.

Visited May 2014
Obbuergen, Switzerland
“Great Tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

Wallabys, turtles, birds, flying foxes, possums even platypus, we saw them all. We had a great time with Paul and can recommend the tour highly to everyone wanting to get to know the nature around Cairns.

Visited April 2014
WaitaWhileCairns, Owner at Wait-a-While Rainforest Tours, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
So glad you enjoyed the tour!