“An amazing tour of many variations , not to be missed” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wilderness Eco Safaris - Tours

Wilderness Eco Safaris - Tours
Victoria
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“An amazing tour of many variations , not to be missed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2009

Having visited North Queensland twice before, we looked hard for a tour we hadnt done before and were recommended by many tour shops to do the Wilderness Eco Safaris with naturalist guide "Steve", and we weren't disappointed !!

having done the "regular" Cape Tribulation 4wd tours before (which btw didnt do any real off-road and was very crowded), this safari, which only has 7 people maximum, took us into areas of the world heritage rainforest where the other tours dont go. I can say its the "genuine article" and travelling on old pioneer trails over mountain tops in the jungle was awesome, where we also saw the most amazing and unspoilt rainforest ever, with the largest trees we didnt see on the other tours and some plants that have been around since b4 the dinosaurs. Walking in the rainforest in research areas we also learnt a lot and learnt of the poisonous stinger trees and saw the Tarzan vines.

Lunch was great in a nice peaceful setting by a lake where we could also swim, and the home made banana muffins @ morning tea were to die for. We were also lucky to see some rare kangaroos on the day we went out and also brumbies (wild horses) and a cute lemuroid possum, and not so cute python.

If you're looking for an authentic rainforest experience in Cairns, then my recommendation is you cant miss this one. Other Cape Trib tours weve done just don't measure up.

Top marks , we had a ball, thanks for a great day Steve, we'll be telling all our friends

1 Thank stefinthejungle

Moscow
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Be ready to spend all the day in the car”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2009

I dont want to say anything bad Steve, maybe he is good guy, but this tour is beneath contempt. The cost is high enough, but the value is near to zero.
Our "trip" started ar 8AM. First part of a day we spended in the car, driving on general use roads near farms, fields and villages. It was very exciting to get a load of how much tea is grow on the fields. There was only one visit to "forest" to look for fig tree (10AM) - we walked about 15 minutes. Next our stay was 13:00 for lunch near some lake. There was lots of cars driving not far away.

In the advertising paper there is buzzwords "exclusive restricted access areas" , "no sealed roads", "no crowds or other vehicles", "swimming lakes", "river crossing", "" wikdlife". We saw nothing of this. As I write before, 7:00-15:00 we have spend in car on general use roads!

When we entered to some national park 15:00, we was noticed that now we will cross rivers.. Yes, we crossed some water - but it is more like small puddle - 20 cm deep and 5 meters width. It was about 5 puddles totally. And another 20 minutes walk.

We have seen no animals at all. Trees and flora was impressive but most things we saw from the car.

Тo offence intended, but my opinion this tour is overpriced, you will see nothing for this cost. We tried alot of things during our visit to Cairns: diving on barrier reef, crocodie farm, railroad, skyroad (and for less cost) but this tour was worse. It seems like tourist trap, when after buzzwords and payment you obtain nothing.

4 Thank polarbear70
England
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Excellent tour from an experienced, knowledgeable guide”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2009

We did a 4WD safari tour of the Atherton rain forest with Wilderness Eco Safaris in June 2009. Steve, our tour guide was fantastic and we were engrossed with his expert knowledge of the rain forest and the history of the area.

Andy, Cambridge

Various Places on East Coast USA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“No Regrets”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2009

I spent weeks researching which tour to take into the rainforest. At first, I was concerned about this tour because it had not been reviewed on many websites and the website itself seemed old fashioned. But I could not find any other company (besides Wait-a-While) that conducts these kinds of deep rainforest tours, and I didn't want to be sitting on a bus all day following a well-beaten path and getting very little exposure to the details of the forest itself.

I finally e-mailed the company a whole list of questions and received an answer within 24 hours, each about a paragraph long. I even bluntly asked why I should believe that they are a great tour and why I should choose them. I was really happy with the in depth answers and decided to take a chance on my possibly ONLY visit to this prehistoric region in my entire life!

I have to say, NO REGRETS... I originally wanted a more hiking intensive program - none actually exist, anyway - but at the end of the day realized that I would have seen a tiny fraction of what I actually saw had I chosen something more walking based. There still was a lot of walking, though nothing rigorous. Saw dozens of trees, several animal spotting (snakes, kangaroos, special birds, etc...). Spent hours undisturbed in the rainforest and less time wandering through nearby bushland.

Tour guide was great! Personable, friendly, knowledgeable... Trust me, going with this company is not a risk. I heard from other tourists about their experience with some of the "bus" groups that go further north into the actual Danbulla and they barely spent any time in the forest, I think it was something like 30 or 45 minutes. I got to spend ALL day among the giants, the stinging trees, coiled vines, and friendly people. I have over 500 gorgeous photos. We had lunch in an isolated part of the forest, by a small running river. We sat on little stools on the bank, big prehistoric Iranio Palms towering over us. The smallness of the group is also fantastic. Luckily, we got some fantastic super-friendly and jokey people.

It's worth the price. In fact, I thought it to be extremely reasonable. Wait-a-while charges wayyyy more for a similar (although more animal focused) trip.

Thanks Wilderness Eco Safari!!!

5 Thank cpelchat
Whangaparaoa, New Zealand
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“My best birthday prezzie”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2008

My kids took me on this tour for my 60th Birthday while we were in Cairns and it was just the most amazing day. The owner/driver/guide was fantastic! We seemed to have as much time as we needed - no rushing to be at a particular spot. He was also very knowledgeable about the environment and the history of the places we visited!

Would definitely recommend this tour to anyone!

2 Thank Whanga_Traveller