“Reef Encounter is definitely the way to go!”
Review of Reef Encounter

Reef Encounter
Reviewed 10 March 2013

I could have spent my entire 2-week vacation underwater diving with Reef Encounter. Diving the Reef was one of the greatest experiences of my life and Reef Encounter just made it even more amazing. The accommodations and food were fantastic. The instructors were extremely patient and understanding. After the dives we had such a great time hanging out and sharing stories. I can't say enough about this experience. This is certainly a good choice if you're looking for a live-about dive trip.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Samantha D
There are newer reviews for Reef Encounter

Reviewed 17 November 2012

Lower price than the competitors, great value, great quality, plenty of good food, professionnal and very kind teams, nice equipments, interesting presentations, step by step trainings, free shuttle for centrail cairns ... The day and everything was perfect !

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank badblondin
Reviewed 29 September 2012

We visited on July 2011. It has taken me a year to write a review (mainly because I keep forgetting to do so) on Reef Encounter but my memory of this trip is still alive. My husband and I stayed one night and did about 5 dives total. We did the intro to scuba which was great. We had a great instructor, Fabian. He was knowledgable, very patient and great to be around. He made me feel at ease since it was my first time scuba diving. We did a night dive and he held my hand the entire time because I was a bit afraid of diving at night.
The reef was great. We got to see many marine animals, including turtles, large and small sting rays, napoleons, clown fish, etc.
All the staff was very helpful and always ready to serve you or to make sure you had everything you needed. The food was VERY GOOD. I had vegetarian meals and they were all great and tasty. It was hard to believe we were eating such a great meal in the middle of the ocean!
We rented an underwater camera for $50. A great bargain and it took great pictures. The on board photographer transferred all the pictures we took to a DVD for us to take home. This was a great way to experience the Great Barrier Reef. I would recommend this to anyone interesting in diving and staying on a boat over night. We also met great people on board!

Room Tip: You are staying on the boat because you want to dive/snorkel. Don't expect suites. It's a b...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Adriana M
Reviewed 27 August 2012

We had a very positive experience on the Reef Encounter over New Years 2012. My partner and I booked a 3 nights stay and our introductory open water dive course. We were glad to be the only students with our personal dive masters, which made the experience much more personable. We had the luck of having a quiet few nights on the boat as it was New Years and there were not many people. All the passengers that we met were lovely and the crew was always helpful. The rooms were just right for the stay and the food fills your stomach. Highly recommend a live aboard as a wonderful way to see more reef!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jessie810
Reviewed 11 August 2012

kinda spendy, but worth it. getting in from a dive, grabbing a hot towel out of the dryer, showering in your personal cabin, putting on dry clothes, having a cup of tea, getting right back in the water... it's heaven. friendly and safe dive masters. go on the night dive or at least watch the sharks go bananas when they chum the water off the back of the ship.

when you're on your way back to port on the experience with the day-trippers you'll realize what kind of paradise you just left. encounter folks get their own area on the experience with fruit, tea, wine, and shade.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank rachel w
Reviewed 16 July 2012

The family went for 2-nights and it was the perfect amount of time. Two people went diving and two went snorkeling. This was definately one of highlights on our Australia trip. We upgraded the adults suite with the extra help and food. Would recommend families to do that. We had Alex who helped and dove with the divers daily. The food was great(5-star food), it was not hamburgers and hot dogs. The boat was always clean. the staff was exceptional and made sure that we always had what we needed. The rooms were roomy and very clean. This was an experience we will never forget as it was as so much nicer then we expected. Would recommend to families and couples.

Room Tip: Would recommend upgrading to the "top deck club". Having the top front room, it was amazi...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank MarkWDean2
Reviewed 5 July 2012

Definitely would take the Reef Encounter AGAIN! I'd actually stay two nights! Our family group included Five: grandma, a 17yr and 11 yr old, and my husband and I. There is plenty of diving to do, and it's adventurous as the boat travels to various reefs! The accommodations were good, food was good and after a dive, it was great to have warm showers. We traveled in July 1-2, 2012. Two complaints: cabin rooms are too hot, and the windows need better curtains for privacy. Great experience by all five family members!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family