“Second time's a charm”

Reef Encounter
Brisbane
“Second time's a charm”
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

I have been here twice; once a number of years ago as a young traveller and more recently we splashed out on the 'Top Deck' experience. Another trip to the reef has rejuvenated my love of diving. I am going to continue to recommend this boat to friends coming to Cairns.

Stayed April 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 19 April 2014

My brother and I spent 2 days and 1 night aboard the Reef Encounter. All of the crew members were incredibly friendly, helpful and knowledgeable which created an infectious positive attitude among everyone onboard.

Life on the Reef Encounter was extremely relaxed and flexible which was great because, after all, you’re on vacation! If you would rather snorkel than scuba dive, go for it! If you need to grab a guide last second to help you navigate the reef when you’re scuba diving, totally fine! If you want to sip tea and lounge in the hot tub, no worries, they’ll warm it up for you!

If you’ve decided to travel to Cairns and the Great Barrier Reef, you need to take advantage of every moment there. You need to wake up, roll out of bed, and already be at the most beautiful site for sunbathing, snorkeling and scuba diving.

Room Tip: Twin share stateroom was perfect for my brother and I to share (see photo attached). Given that you...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Sarah M
Cairns, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 18 April 2014

OMG REEF ENCOUNTER!
I had the best experience ever with them!
As someone who has been living in Cairns for 3 years i've been to the Great Barrier Reef several times, but i have to say, Reef Encounter was the best ! (Yes, way better then Prodive!)

The food is delicious and well presented, they deliver your plate at your table. (Yes there is a restaurant on the boat).
I booked a single room and I had a beautiful double bed for myself, my own bathroom and toilet. It was all clean and fresh.

The master divers and diver instructors are nice, friendly but still "professional" I would say (I have been on some boats where the Instructors seemed to forget that we were clients, and were borderline disrespectful).

So I would ABSOLUTELY RECOMMEND this boat!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Thomas B
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 9 April 2014

The food is amazing, the accommodation great, and the reef everything you'd expect and more. My girlfriend and I chose to do our Reef Trip on board Reef Encounter because of their 'Hostie' programme: you go onboard as a paying guest, then when your time is up, you work for them in return for food, accommodation and a minimum of two dives/ snorkel sessions per day. As backpackers this was amazing because it was a very good way to spend more time out on the reef than we could ever have afforded otherwise. We both loved being part of the crew, they're warm, friendly, fun people who were all a pleasure to be around. I'd recommend it without reservation, but if you're scared of working, don't even bother- the days are 15-17 hours long (though you get time off in the afternoon to go in the water), but the work isn't difficult, although you'll be on your feet all day. We loved it and put the work in and ended up staying for a week and it was easily the highlight of 6 months in Australia for both of us. Totally worth it. Thank you for our time onboard!
Lauren & Chanelle

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rugbygirl8
Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

We are from Michigan, USA. After researching travel books and websites for months we settled in Reef Encounter. This says I'm limited to 200 words so I'll suffice it to say we booked Top Deck and from the moment we walked to get on transfer boat the service, kindness, food, diving, snorkeling, was TOP NOTCH. I don't know why I can only write 200 words cuz I'd write an epic novel. It was worth every penny. Karl saw to every need and then some, we loved him--the rest of the crew, too many to list them all were fab. (Capt. Ben, Christian has great hair ) The food was so delicious (Josh I'd LOVE to have the recipe for the couscous salad we had the first day --gahhhhhh!) The boat itself is a dive boat, don't except the Hilton on water. But it's maintained, clean, spacious, and even with some rough weather Capt. Ben was able to move so there was minimal movement to sleep. Our room was very nice, clean and plenty big. Hot water never ran out in 4 days! The staff is just amazing, can't say enough. My husband got certified -- we did 3 nights 4 days. Gorgeous reefs-- I just concur with all the great reviews. We LOVED our Reef Experience trip and would do it again in a heartbeat and highly recommend it to anyone thinking of staying out in the GBR. Just do it. You can't put a price in things like sleeping and waking up on the Great Barrier Reef. Just do it.

Stayed April 2014
New York City, New York
Reviewed 2 April 2014

The whole trip ran like clock work, crew were very knowledgable and most importantly fun to be with. Highly recommend this as an excellent way to see the reef. Also the night dive is a must for an fan of diving

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed 31 March 2014

The boat is large and comfortable, the staff is very attentive, the rooms are clean and comfortable, the meals are made ​​with simple ingredients but very tasty. And the Great Barrier Reef is simply unforgettable!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple