“Great for what you pay”
Review of Caravella Central

and 1 more site!
Caravella Central
Ranked #43 of 83 Speciality Lodging in Cairns
Reviewed 18 February 2013 via mobile

Cheapest rooms we've found anywhere so really can't complain. Bathrooms got dirty at times and the set up of the showers was a bit inconvenient and also some rooms didn't get any daylight at all but overall the place was clean and the staff were helpful and friendly and the location was the best,so would def stay again!

• Stayed: February 2013

Reviewed 31 January 2013

The hostel was okay, fine to stay in for a couple of nights but not much more! They didn't have air conditioning, so the rooms were boiling hot in January!
Reception was closed from 12-4pm which was incredibly annoying as our flight into Cairns landed at 11:45. We had to hang around for 4 hours with our luggage waiting to get in.
The bathrooms were clean, but between two of the showers there was nothing but clear glass! However you could lock the bathroom door and have the two showers to yourself - though this means other people can't shower.
Great location and lovely staff, but the reception hours were really annoying.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 January 2013

Very welcoming hostel. Rooms were spacious. We were in the 8 bed female dorm. Fan room, was a bit warm at night but Cairns is very hot. Good value for money and would recommend! Only let down was the rude older guy on reception afternoons on weekend. Great location. Free meal of money off voucher every night, just have to purchase a drink.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed 20 December 2012

Pro's: very clean! The guy that works reception is funny and does the job well. Room is big. Best shower!! Good van in bedroom. Location is perfect.
Con's: reception closed from 12-4. Not that many showers but i had no problem with waiting at all, maybe it wasnt fully booked. Not an exciting living room/kitchen.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Ingedv
Reviewed 18 December 2012

I stay here for 2 weeks. I liked korea man, who helped me. Cheap tour booking - 20% discount, and clean backpacker. Good location, middle of the city. all staff help me and they know about cairns good. free meal also can save people's money. Angelo is kind guy too. had good time in corona backpacker, if my friends are going to cairns, i will tell them to go to corona.

Room Tip: A/C room is good to stay in hot weather.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank JTKim_12
Reviewed 1 December 2012 via mobile

Basically it's cheap as chips which was great for us!
Right in heart of cairns and bars etc, opposite Gilligans (can get noisy)
Our 8 bed female dorm was ok...wasn't the cleanest, but ok.
Kitchen small and only 2 toilets and 4 showers for a whole Floor!! Had to wait quite a few times to use :-/
Main thing that annoyed us was arriving at 12.30pm and exhausted after travelling and has to wait 3.5 hrs To check in in the hot kitchen with bags and surfboard! Not impressed! What hostel closes reception at 12-4pm is beyond me??!! Sort that out!
Recommend booking trips with tribal travel next to woolshed!...cheaper and free internet use!

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed 4 October 2012

Corona's is very well put together. I was wary because of all the mixed reviews but people do have bad days and some expect more than others so here's where I'm coming from so you know if this review is helpful to you or not: I'm female, 21, I like to party but I also love to sleep without noise and in a comfortable place, I want to get the best deals out of where I stay and what I do. I normally go for places that are in the middle of a quiet relaxing place to stay but I am also able to go out at night and meet people at the hostel if I'm traveling solo.

Corona met all my expectations. Bathrooms were clean, beds were clean, I loved the 4 to a room but I stayed in both a 4 bed and an 8 bed and it wasn't an issue. I ALWAYS sleep with ear plugs and an eye cover even when I'm at home so I can get the best sleep every night (highly recommend bringing along these 2 things no matter where you travel too... it's just smart and an obvious answer to budget accommodation without constantly complaining about people coming in and out. I'm never bothered anymore!)

It was quite warm but they do offer a/c rooms, I can deal so I stayed cheap. No need for covers and it was fine. The checkin/checkout system is a tad annoying b/c they are closed from noon to 4pm I think and then 8pm until 8am (if my memory serves me well). I had to wait to check in once or even to store luggage I got there, but I knew that beforehand and wasn't too bothered.. there are plenty of cafes around to sit and people watch.

The best thing about this hostel is the service. Both the people I met there Monik and one of the manager's I believe were both amazing. They were always happy, always willing to lend a hand or answer a question (and I come with a lot of questions, believe me). Monik worked with me for 2+ weeks in order to organize a scuba diving liveaboard. It was so important to me to get a great deal and really know what I am getting because there are SO and I mean SO many tour operators in Cairns, it's insane. I ended up going with ProDive (love) and got 20% off the price!!! So worth it. Could not have had the amazing trip I had without her!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo