“great place, good value”

Global Backpackers Waterfront
Ranked #72 of 84 Speciality Lodging in Cairns
Dublin, Ireland
“great place, good value”
Reviewed 23 April 2011

very clean rooms and helpful staff at the reception. they were able to tell us all about different diving day tours which was great. we had dinner included in the rate. it was served in the whoolshed every evening which was also ok. when we had enough of the spag bol we could upgrade for any ala carte dish for only a few dollars more.
bottom line - it is a great spot for anyone who stays in Cairns and want to make the most of their holiday.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 14 January 2011

I had a great time at Global Waterfront! I was planning on staying in Cairns for 3 nights but since they were running a special deal (pay for 3 nights, stay for 4) I decided to stay a 4th night. The room I got was great (air conditioned, and full of very nice, quiet people -- perfect!) and the staff was amazingly kind and helpful. I came into Cairns on the train and I was a little nervous about walking alone to the hostel at night. I called to make sure I knew exactly where I was going and Alex not only gave me directions, she also offered to call me back to check on me if I hadn't made it to the hostel yet. So nice!! She was so sweet when I checked in, answering all my questions and making suer I was set up in a good room, and the whole time I've been here she's been super friendly, always saying "hey Marie!" and asking how my trip is going every time she sees me. Irish is great too! He encouraged me to take a day trip to Cape Tribulation and I had a fantastic time! The rest of the staff has been very nice -- I'd say the staff and the location (right on the Esplanade, across from the lagoon) are the two reasons to stay at Global Waterfront. The only things I didn't like are the bathroom facilities -- they're not very clean and there need to be more hooks on the wall in the showers and bathrooms!! It's really hard to shower when there's only one hook (or in some shower stalls, none) and you have to hang everything over the shower curtain rod. gross. but I would definitely still come back here if I make it back to Cairns -- I'll just have to hope they fix up the bathrooms a little. also, I wish there were storage lockers in the rooms but thankfully I had a nice group in my room and didn't have to worry about anything getting stolen. and Alex offered to store my bags for free at the desk since I have a late flight and set me up with a $10 shuttle to the airport. I've had a great time here and I hope to make it back someday. Thanks so much!! =)

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
cairns
Reviewed 12 January 2011

The hostel is across the road from the Reef Terminal and the Lagoon and all the bars and clubs are 5 minutes walk away! Room was good size and clean and had full kitchen. I would stay again.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed 21 September 2010

+ Fabulous location! Beautiful lagoon just in front of the hostel and so is the harbour with boats leaving for the Great Bareer Reef. Very friendly staff (especially the cute Swedish blonde).

- The kitchen is like the Augean stables with roaches running freely! There's no way it can be kept clean with so many backpackers - it should be closed down. Free meals in PJ O'Briens are more like starters or desserts, but PJ is a great place to dine in when in Cairns.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
portugal
Reviewed 4 September 2010

Having recently returned from our world trip, here is the review for this hotel we stayed at. We moved from a hostel on the outskirts of the city, and were really pleased with the location. The hostel was very good value, yes it is quite dark and the communal areas are not that appealling, but this place is clean. We like our room as it had great air con and was just a base. It is so close to the lagoon area and the main centre. Prices for us included free dinner at the Woolshed so we were there every night. We extended our stay here for 5 nights in the end and thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
England
Reviewed 28 August 2010

Free pick up from the airport was useful, the Irish guy that picked us up was really friendly. The room was really dark & dingy and had a really noisy, broken-looking aircon unit. There was a sink in the room that I didn't dare go near because it was so filthy, covered in orangey brown stains etc. Got woken up every night by people shouting & screaming at 2/3am. the sound carried everywhere really easily which was really frustrating.

The balcony overlooking the esplanade was nice although having people able to smoke in the TV area because it's open to the air was annoying. The kitchen was pretty dirty, bugs always running about. You get a free nightly "meal" at a bar down the road, bit of a fib to call it a meal I think but hey, free is free!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
biella
Reviewed 27 August 2009

We stayed here a couple of nights, the location is great, but there are so many other hostels on the esplanade that it doesn't really seem a bonus.
But showers and toilets were clean, even though not that many.
No plugs in dorms! But the staff charges anything for you in the backoffice.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple